Brand new user, what should I know?

What you need to know.

Step 1:
The manual.

Step 2: Create your first preset based on your own amp and speaker. It’s tempting to dive into the list of unobtainable amps, but much more sensible to replicate something that you already know. Some people advise starting with a factory preset. I’ve found that introduces this you don’t yet understand. Keep it simple.

Step 3: Watch a video. (Not lots of them). Apply what you’ve learned to you first preset.

Step 4: Rinse and repeat a few times.

Step 5: Think about how you’d like to manage all you’ve learned on stage. Try it out. Chances are you’ll want to change what you’ve done, so don’t create too many presets before you try it out.

You should know the fractal products will creates sounds which are proven indistinguishable from their physical counterparts.

You should also know getting to this point is a journey and probably won’t happen in the first 5 minutes.

Expect a few failures along the way. It’s normal

When your sound suddenly changes, and your don't know why, and you have checked your preset, your setup, the input level of your guitar, the cables, your PA or the cabs, your guitar and the voltage in the house 20 times already, it might be the case that you have pressed your wah pedal half way down.

That's probably the most important thing to know. Thank me later.
This happened to me once. I went to a recording session and was like what the heck happened to my awesome sounds. The sound guy was complaining why do I have some crappy digital stuff and not a proper tube amp. When I finally figured it out that my wah pedal was halfway and disabled it I had my great sound back. The sound guy started complimenting my sound that it's the best sound that he's got straight to the mixing board and didn't have to do any eqing. Plus no miking up any cabs 😃 I did feel embarrassed and like a noob 😖 At least after that I have always remembered to check my wah pedal...

Since you asked for advice, I will share my highly opinionated... opinions:

1) Watch all of Leon Todd's 5-minute tones. I read the manual before the Axe arrived, but this is how I actually learned to dial in sounds. Leon tweaks what needs to be tweaked, and explains how each settings affects the sound. This IMO is much better than just being given a list of settings, or even downloading a preset, because then you learn what they all do.

2a) There are so many amps. Try one or two that you're already familiar with, and don't feel pressured to try them all. (On the other hand, try them all! Why not!) But I would pick one or two, and get really good at dialling them in, just like if you'd bought a real amp. That way you learn more of the subtle changes you can make.

2b) IR choice can also be a bottomless pit. My advice? Pick one and stick with it until you're more comfortable with dialing in sounds. A lot of us like LT TV Mix 7, which you can get off AxeChange. (Again from @2112). Just use that for everything for a while.

3) Keep it simple while you're learning to dial in sounds. Amp+Cab, maybe some reverb and delay. Stick with what you'd find on a typical amp - gain, bass/mid/treble, etc. Don't worry about the advanced parameters yet, many people have no need to touch them (and most of us don't understand them!) (Unless of course you understand what cathode follower harmonics are, in which case, knock yourself out, and then teach me.)

4) Try to play loud. How loud? 90dB, since I'm being opinionated. The Fletcher-Munson effect is real, but besides, it just sounds better loud. (But don't hurt yourself!)

5) Think about your sound output. There are infinite opinions on this, but the axe, like anything, will sound bad through crappy speakers. It's magic, but it's not that magic. I use some relatively cheap studio monitors (Presonus Eris E5) and Shure SE215 for live in-ear monitoring, and they're good enough for me. Others like FRFR solutions like QSC monitors, which I use at one venue and like the sound. Others prefer a real guitar cab and poweramp. Whatever you choose, cheap headphones will sound like poop. This can be another rabbit-hole, but my opinion is that good enough is good enough, although it does have to be good enough.

6) Presets downloaded from AxeChange, or even videos on YouTube, will probably not sound the same for you. Don't worry, your Axe isn't broken. Different guitars, fingers, and monitoring solutions all interact to create a different sound. Don't be afraid to ask for help! Which lead to...

7) Use the forum! It's awesome, and you will get lots of snark-free help, often from some very skilled and experienced folk. To get the best help, put the question in the title (not just 'help'), and upload your preset. For bonus points, add a link to a clip of the sound you are trying to achieve. (For super-duper bonus points, record a raw track of your guitar, which helps people tweak exactly as if you were playing in their house. But not many people do this.) I have learned more about amps in a couple of years on this forum, than I did playing a real amp for over 20 years.

8) There's a Klon.

When your sound suddenly changes, and your don't know why, and you have checked your preset, your setup, the input level of your guitar, the cables, your PA or the cabs, your guitar and the voltage in the house 20 times already, it might be the case that you have pressed your wah pedal half way down.

That's probably the most important thing to know. Thank me later.
Oh, but it's true... I did this again, just last night. And, I spend a few minutes panicking and checking my preset, like every time, and again, like every time, it was a bandmate who said - "Have you got your wah on again?"

Welcome Collin!
+1 on @austinbuddy presets
Also, the advice on reading the manual is sound.
Try to make some time, because your clock is going to accelerate. The axe fx is one of my best purchases and (hope) it’ll also be one of yours.
If you haven’t got some great studio monitors, get some.
Feel free to ask questions immediately here on the forum - even if you think they are dumb.
Someone will be on line and help you through.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.
Thanks
Pauly

I just pulled the trigger on a Axe FX iii MKii TURBO today and I couldn't be more stoked! I have played through an axe fx ultra a couple times several years ago and Kempers several times. I am waiting to decide on a FC12 or FC6 rig for pedalboard. I'm a songwriter and session player by day and absolute gear nerd by night. Like I said, I'm brand new to this and as I anticipate the delivery what are the top things you would advise me on and hurdles you remember from jumping in to the Fractal universe for the first time? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom