Brand new user, what should I know?

collin.keel

I just pulled the trigger on a Axe FX iii MKii TURBO today and I couldn't be more stoked! I have played through an axe fx ultra a couple times several years ago and Kempers several times. I am waiting to decide on a FC12 or FC6 rig for pedalboard. I'm a songwriter and session player by day and absolute gear nerd by night. Like I said, I'm brand new to this and as I anticipate the delivery what are the top things you would advise me on and hurdles you remember from jumping in to the Fractal universe for the first time? Thanks!

Read, experiment, watch videos…not necessarily in that order. And play a lot!

Check out the factory presets - you can learn a lot from them. But make sure create your own as well - you can get your sound better that way.

I recommend watching Leon Todd’s videos on the G66 YouTube channel. This will give you a lot of tips and tricks for creating your sound.
And Cooper Carters Masterclass would also be a good starting point, I plan to take his classes when I have a bit more free time.

As has been mentioned, the manual is your friend. Also download the Blocks Guide and FC Controller manual, bookmark the Fractal Wiki https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Axe-Fx_II_Wiki_Home . The only hurdle for me was trying to figure things out, quickly discovered that there's no getting around learning from the manual. A lot of great resources available and some great guys with experience willing to help on the forum.

Don't avoid other sections of the forum (FM3 and FM9). There is some great information in them that translate to the Axe III.

In each block you use, try every parameter to learn what it does and how they interact with each other. You may never use most of them, but knowing what they do helps tremendously when tweaking tones and effects. Learn and understand the differences between Presets, Scenes and Channels. A lot of confusion can be avoided if you understand what each of them are and are not as well as what they can and can't do.

Rosh Roslin is another great YT video resource for information and tutorials ranging from the basics to in depth features.

When your sound suddenly changes, and your don't know why, and you have checked your preset, your setup, the input level of your guitar, the cables, your PA or the cabs, your guitar and the voltage in the house 20 times already, it might be the case that you have pressed your wah pedal half way down.

That's probably the most important thing to know. Thank me later.

When you have a question-check the manual and search the forum - tons of great info in both. Especially if its questions about the ‘best way’ to amplify, headphones to use, IR help, FRFR cabs (if you’re going that route), etc. A lot of those common questions have been discussed at length many times out here and you should be able to get a good idea of varying opinions.

Very cool that you’re going with the III!

Hey there, NO you are not dead, but YES you have reached heaven anyway so welcome

What you can do:
Hook up to your computer and check out Axe-Edit and use the option to go to Axechange.. there you will find presets that are shared by AxeFXIII users (through Axe-Edit you will automaticly go to the right webpage)

You can audition presets and save them to your machine

Read the metatext that some have written. It could be you need a 3rd party IR or something to keep notice off.

Its a great starting point to get playing your chops 🤘

Cheers 🍻

The unit is incredibly simple if you understand the basic concepts in play. Read the manual, and understand it. You dont need a thousand youtube tutorials. This isnt rocket surgery. All the basic things you would do in a studio environment to get a guitar sound apply. And finally, break the rules. Do whatever you want to get your sound, there is no 1 way.

A lot of responses here saying trudge through the entire manual, watch hours of video, and even suggesting you need to examine every parameter on each block. You do not need to do any of that, until you need to. Crank it up and jam. Play a Marshall. Play a Fender. Just play - as in play the guitar, but also just play with the AxeFx. Just turn the knobs. If you are a gear nerd, the next steps will become obvious as you go.

How are you looking to amplify it?
ill be done with gigs this year after this weekend so I'm only going to be using it in the studio for the next couple months. My plan is to get a Seymour Duncan Powerstage 700 once its gets closer to the first shows of 2023. Although I'll be looking at different power amp options im sure over the next few months

Lots of good suggestions here. I realize that you stated you have experience gigging with other modelers so this may go without saying but . . While Fractal's editor is awesome and easy to use, I would practice editing from the front panel and even building a patch or two that way before you take it on a gig. As you likely know, at the worst possible time, you will find something that needs tweaking and have about 90 seconds to make those changes.

Don't be surprised if the factory presets aren't optimal for your guitars and whatever you're playing through. Give yourself time to learn to dial things in. It may not happen overnight, but you will get there.

The Austin Buddy packs were a huge help to me in learning what I liked, and then being able to see how everything was pieced together in those presets.

I've read good things about the Cooper Carter classes too.

Last edited:
In regards to the FC’s and which one to get, I definitely wish I went with an FC12 when I got my III. After getting the FM9 and seeing how the layouts work, it’s really a treat to have those extra switches!

And if you find yourself tweaking an amp model for more than 10 minutes and you still aren’t getting where you want to be, you picked the wrong IR. I think a lot of people tend to pick an IR and think “Close enough, I can tweak it to perfection” and find they’re adding extra EQ or just go crazy with the tweaking and still not get where they want. Personally, for 98% of the amps, I keep the knobs at noon, pick an IR that’s already sounding great with the knobs at noon then adjust the knobs. The only amps you can’t really do that with are Mesa’s, especially the Marks, because of Mesa’s “We want to confuse the hell out of you” preamp. :D

Back
Top Bottom