BPM Tap assign to pedal when is selected (help)

Vexonn

For example, I assign BPM to pedal 1 and it is activated by selecting pedal 1, which has a crunch preset, that pedal becomes BPM Tap, that's how I use it and it works great.

however, when I press bank up or down, i can't select the same pedal 1, because no matter if I press bank up or down, that bpm of pedal 1 is still active.

So I cannot select pedal 1 on the second bank because the bpm tap has remained active since the previous one.

I tried to solve it with another layout, but I didn't succeed.

Do you have any idea how to solve it?

I'm having a hard time understanding...

You are using an external switch connected to the Pedal 1 jack and you've assigned that to be a Tap Tempo. Is that correct?

Tap Tempo sets the value for Global Tempo. It doesn't matter if your switch is still assigned or not because Global Tempo is global.

Global Tempo applies to presets set to use it. If you don't want them to use the previously tapped tempo then set those presets to use Preset Tempo.

See page 85 in the manual here for more info:

https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/FM9/FM9-Owners-Manual.pdf#page85

Also i try to change tempo to preset, but i have same problem.

It won't choose another preset that is on the same pedal on a different bank.
I think you need to elaborate on the problem in detail. I think I don't understand what the actual problem is.

What do you mean "preset that is on the same pedal"?

When you say "pedal", are you meaning a switch/button on the FM9 or do you mean something external connected to the FM9?

Maybe you are referring to a per preset override?

I think you need to elaborate on the problem in detail. I think I don't understand what the actual problem is.

What do you mean "preset that is on the same pedal"?

When you say "pedal", are you meaning a switch/button on the FM9 or do you mean something external connected to the FM9?

Maybe you are referring to a per preset override?
I'm sorry, I tried to explain but it didn't send me a reply and my reply was deleted.

I didn't express myself well, I use the default startup layout.

when i say pedal, i mean a switch/button.

I have button 1-5 (presets), bank up and down and control switch 1 and 2.
I don't have a bpm tap assigned separately on one switch/button, but I assign it by pressing button 1 with my foot because the crunch is memorized on it.

When I say pedal 1, I don't mean the input for the expression pedal. My error in explanation.

I'm sorry, I tried to explain but it didn't send me a reply and my reply was deleted.

I didn't express myself well, I use the default startup layout.

when i say pedal, i mean a switch/button.

I have button 1-5 (presets), bank up and down and control switch 1 and 2.
I don't have a bpm tap assigned separately on one switch/button, but I assign it by pressing button 1 with my foot because the crunch is memorized on it.

When I say pedal 1, I don't mean the input for the expression pedal. My error in explanation.
Post a screenshot of the layout.

I set per-preset override to button 1, to assign bpm tap tempo when i press button 1, and thats works great!

But when i press bank up or down, all button blink except button 1, i can select any button on different bank except button 1, because even when I press the bank up or down, the bpm tap remains active on pedal/button 1 and then I can't select that preset under the active bpm tap, because regardless of whether I press the bank up or down, the bpm is still active!

I tried various options to change the second layout when pressing the bank up or down, but I can't get it to work fine, then I can't assign names to the pedals/buttons, it's a bit complicated.

I found this option/variant a long time ago as tips and tricks for processor boss gt1000 and it worked great! But when I press the bank up or down, the bpm tap stops being active on the current pedal and all the pedals blink a bit waiting for me to select another preset on the other bank.
screen 1.png

screen 2.png

Ok... So, in my opinion, this is expected behavior.

You've overridden the switch function when you're in that preset.

It's doing what you told it to do.

You haven’t posted the whole screen shot so it’s hard to tell but what layout have you edited? Is it the Preset layout (layout 2)?

Per-preset override is doing what you’ve set it to … only perform tap tempo. There isn’t a preset to reference there anymore.

You could set the crunch preset to a Hold function on the PP override and access it that way

You haven’t posted the whole screen shot so it’s hard to tell but what layout have you edited? Is it the Preset layout (layout 2)?

Per-preset override is doing what you’ve set it to … only perform tap tempo. There isn’t a preset to reference there anymore.

You could set the crunch preset to a Hold function on the PP override and access it that way
This is all on the default layout.

This way simply suits me. I press button 1 (crunch) and it immediately becomes a bpm tap, but if I want to select the same button 1 from another bank after crunch, it won't let me because the bpm assing still remains and it won't let me choose button 1 from another bank.

Yeah the per preset override will always replace the original switch functions in that preset. If you need both the preset select function and the tap tempo function, then put the tap tempo function on different switch and/or in a different layout instead.

This is all on the default layout.

This way simply suits me. I press button 1 (crunch) and it immediately becomes a bpm tap, but if I want to select the same button 1 from another bank after crunch, it won't let me because the bpm assing still remains and it won't let me choose button 1 from another bank.
As mentioned, you're overriding the switch in the layout.

The default function for the layout is to select a preset from a bank. But you've changed the behavior in that preset so that is what it will do when that preset is loaded.

Instead of the per preset override, you could change the switch in the layout to be a Tap Tempo and then set global Bank Size to 4 instead of 5.

I upload video on youtube, maybe this is a bug or can be fixed on another update.

Because I believe that some people would like to use the preset button to add a bpm tap, so that they don't take up a whole bpm button.
I found this style of tips and tricks on the internet while I was still using the boss gt1000 and it's great!

I hope that this will be resolved in the next update.

I upload video on youtube, maybe this is a bug or can be fixed on another update.
It's not a bug. It's working as designed.

I don't think there's any way to "update" it because an override can't be an "override only when I want it".

It's not a bug. It's working as designed.

I don't think there's any way to "update" it because an override can't be an "override only when I want it".
Ok, but how did they solve it on the boss gt1000? As soon as you press the bank up or down, it gives you the possibility to select any preset/patch, regardless of the previous one, for example, button 1 has been selected and assigned a bpm tap.

Everything can be solved when you want.

Ok, but how did they solve it on the boss gt1000? As soon as you press the bank up or down, it gives you the possibility to select any preset/patch, regardless of the previous one, for example, button 1 has been selected and assigned a bpm tap.

Everything can be solved when you want.
I have no idea. This is the way Fractal works...

Yes, but it would be good if it was solved. A BPM tap can remain assigned until you select any button from the next bank.

You see, the only problem is that I can't choose the same button on the other bank.

It's a Per Preset Override, not per bank. FC Layouts cannot change on a per bank level. The Override will always take precedence in that preset, so it is no longer a preset select switch but rather a Tap Tempo switch.

Do you need Tap Tempo in more than just that one preset?

Do you need Tap Tempo in more than just that one preset?
Yes

I have two banks, 5 presets and two control switch, per bank.

So in 10 presets i have crunch 1, 2 and 3. And on all crunch preset i need bpm tap tempo.

I like to use the same button where I have crunch, to use it immediately and as bpm.

because it's easier for me to press the same button with my foot a few times while playing and singing.

Happy to share with you that I managed to solve the problem! I would ask the admins to put fix instead of help.
It's about the fact that i first copied layout 1, which is the main one for my setup, to layout 2 and removed per preset override (on which I assigned bpm tap) from preset crunch 1 2 and 3

Then I set the LAYOUT LINKS on the bank up and down, so that when I use the default layout 1, I press button 1 / crunch 1, and the bpm tap on that button is assigned, if I want the pres same button for another bank (which I was not allowed to now), when I press bank up, via the layout links, it switches to layout 2 where there is no override per preset on that button, and then I can also select button 1 on bank 2, because layout 2 cancels the override per preset from layout 1.

I hope you understood me. This is a very good idea to assign bpm tap to the same button of the preset where you want to use bpm, and not to use a separate button just for bpm tap

Sorry for the detailed explanation, but many people have told me that this is not possible, so I just want to help people if anyone wants to use the same bpm tap preset button this way

note: Also on every preset on which you want to use bpm tap, on layout2 you need to set that when you press the preset, it switches you to layout 1, i.e. to return you to the original layout, because during the gig, regardless of all that, you will use the bank buttons up and down, so sometimes it will stay on layout 2, but as soon as you select crunch, it will return you to layout 1 because bpm tap is assigned to that layout.

Image 1 / layout 1 / per preset override assing bpm tap
bpm tap 1.jpg

Image 2 / on the same layout 1 / On button bank 2 (or named up) i set layout links, so on layout 2 i dont have per preset override.
bpm tap 2 layouts.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom