Boxes From Equipment Purchases - Save of Discard?

Warrior

Power User
I have a habit of saving a lot of boxes from equipment purchases in case I want to sell or need to send in for repair, etc. Some take up a lot of room and I have a hard time throwing them out.

What do you do with your boxes; store them as is, break them down and store them, throw them out?

Chime in.

I save them, my history is everything gets sold eventually as I move on with new technology, GAS, or just personal preference change. Just easier to throw it on eBay if the box is at hand. Also helps the sale price a little if you have the original packing.

I save them. I just used one from an item I bought in 1990 or 1991. Had the box all these years and it was the perfect box to ship the item in.

I save them, my history is everything gets sold eventually as I move on with new technology, GAS, or just personal preference change. Just easier to throw it on eBay if the box is at hand. Also helps the sale price a little if you have the original packing.

Me too. Main issue I'm having right now is the bigger stuff (i.e. box from studio sub-woofer).

I always try to save my boxes for the same reasons posted already. It's just so much easier to ship things in the original boxes when selling. As to storing I break the ones down if that don't have specific shipping foam inserts otherwise they have a home in the attic or garage in a plastic bag.

Save them. There's always a reason to sell or replace stuff later on, nothing lasts forever. Also, if you need a repair doing and have to send it somewhere, the original box is the best way to transport it. The only problem I have is what to do when I buy used, and the previous owner has discarded the original box. Then I have to source suitable packaging when it comes time for me to sell it myself.

Box saver here. Really helps resale value/speed to be able to state "comes with all original packaging included".

Edit: I've been disappointed by some music stores that sell stuff (amps / cabs in particular) without the original packaging, to the point now, where, my decision to buy a particular item will actually be reversed if the packaging is not available and in good shape.

Last edited:
What do you do with your boxes; store them as is, break them down and store them, throw them out?
Save them, for all the reasons above.. But do yourself a favor. They will take up 1/5 the space, if you break them down to be flat, and # them. Then take the inserts/padding in corresponding numbered bags. Tie one or both ends of the cord to something high or the ceiling. Make loops in the string, an hang the corresponding bags in the loops. Last, video tape unpacking tricky packages (like the Atomic Neo's) because you will most likely not remember order of repacking) :encouragement:

Save them, for all the reasons above.. But do yourself a favor. They will take up 1/5 the space, if you break them down to be flat, and # them. Then take the inserts/padding in corresponding numbered bags. Tie one or both ends of the cord to something high or the ceiling. Make loops in the string, an hang the corresponding bags in the loops. Last, video tape unpacking tricky packages (like the Atomic Neo's) because you will most likely not remember order of repacking) :encouragement:

Woooow Duuude - you are a box saver guru!

I usually keep most boxes for about a year, or until the warranty runs out, whichever is the longest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good tip. When the axe II comes, my plan is to sell the Ultra in the II's box :)

I save the box if it is an expensive item or I know I will be selling it eventually. Although I save most boxes I find it hard to save all the packing materials. Foam pieces I try to save but no packing air bubbles.. those are all popped immediately.

I always save the boxes on expensive gear...
But most importantly... put boxes in boxes

A year ago I put together a new recording PC...
I kept all the boxes by putting the small boxes in the bigger boxes- so every box to every pc component fit into the motherboard box

In studio monitor boxes I could fit the boxes to tons of recording/mic gear/stuff like that- really saves space.

Back
Top Bottom