Bought UA OX

P

plexi59

In the spirit of supporting the ailing US economy, I bought the UA OX. I have to say, this is the first power attenuator that I bought that doesn't suck (out of the total of 3 over the years). I haven't yet explored the actual cab/mic modeling in it, but purely as a power soak, it's pretty great. The rest would promise "cranked tone at manageable volumes", but what you actually get (if the unit even lets you to set the output power that low in the first place) has nothing in common with what the amp sounds cranked. This thing does a very satisfying job in this regard. The clean channel, where power tube breakup adds significantly to the tone, sounds great especially.

Unfortunately the amp has to be re-biased. I never played it too loud and had 2 power tubes in it instead of 4. When playing it cranked, one of the tubes is mildly red-plating. Kind of looking forward to rediscovering my other tube amps. Good buy if you can get it used.

Protip: in the unlikely event that your WiFi hotspot contains a question mark in the network name, like mine did, the OX apparently has a bug in it which won't let it connect to such networks. Rename the network, or use your phone's hotspot.

Back
Top Bottom