Bought some KRK's and bass it out of control - help!

juliancs

Inspired
Just kitting out my studio and picked up a pair of KRK RP6 G2s. They sound great, really crystal clear and I hear things in the Axe-FX I've never heard before. It's clear I'll have to redo my patches, which is fine, but for some reason, every patch is now clipping on the "Out1 clip" indicator, and the bass on each patch is out of control. I have put a graphic eq with the lowest four sliders all the way down, and its still boomy as anything. Are the monitors really that boomy or am I missing something? All my cleans distort as well. Ive tried turning my output 1 down, but it goes beyond a useable level - same with input level. :oops:

Hi,
I´m afraid I can´t help you with KRK´s. But my recommendation since yesterday is the following: Try a new Fractomic. Very well-ballanced. Please compare it to the KSKs. I´m sure you like this new tool. Nobbi.

Globals are a zero...

Can't really get a Fratomic - just spent £2500 pounds upgrading my studio, so no cash left. I really don't understand where this is coming from...no way to eq them either :(

The Fratomic is a completely different product. These are reference monitors. They aren't exactly interchangeable.

Anyway, your Output clipping has nothing to do with the KRKs. If they weren't lighting up before, something in your patches or your settings has changed in the Axe-FX. Those lights indicate clipping within the Axe-FX. The problems you're describing have nothing to do with going from one reference monitor to another. Something in the Axe-FX is different.

D

From my experience this kind of thing would happen if I tweaked a patch with the global poweramp switch off - lets say to use with an external tube poweramp and then try to use same patch direct and turn on the global poweramp switch on without any appropriate adjustments. Everything will clip and will be too bassy.

Mik.

I've not changed anything to my knowledge, which is what confuses me. Should I be having to cut the bass this much out of monitors? It happens on all the presets as well. Globals are fine :(

Maybe you missed this in my first post: The monitors are NOT the problem.

The evidence: Your output light is now clipping and it wasn't before. Something within the Axe-FX is different/wrong. That is the problem you are looking for. It is NOT a matter of EQing the monitors.

D

Hi Dk. I saw that, and my only reservation is that I've had to EQ in iTunes, doing a massive bass cut as well. I don't have the ideal studio room but I didn't realise things would be this bad! No idea how this is going to translate my mixing now... my solution now has been to do a bass cut in the global and it seems to have done the trick. I've taken down the output and the clipping seems to have calmed down. Hmm :(

If the output clipping light came on and it wasn't before, something is wrong or has changed. Maybe you can make that go away by global EQ and output changes, but you still have a problem you haven't addressed: The one that started it.

If I were you, I would undo the EQ you did in iTunes, set the global EQ flat and the output level where it was and find the real problem. It isn't your monitors or the EQ. Something changed, and you have to track down what it was.

If ALL your settings are still correct and the presets are the same as they were before, I would get in touch with support. Forget the monitors entirely. They cannot affect the output clip lights on the Axe-FX so they are not the problem.

What were you using to monitor before? You can always plug back into that until you get this problem resolved.

D

dk_ace said:
If the output clipping light came on and it wasn't before, something is wrong or has changed. Maybe you can make that go away by global EQ and output changes, but you still have a problem you haven't addressed: The one that started it.

If I were you, I would undo the EQ you did in iTunes, set the global EQ flat and the output level where it was and find the real problem. It isn't your monitors or the EQ. Something changed, and you have to track down what it was.

If ALL your settings are still correct and the presets are the same as they were before, I would get in touch with support. Forget the monitors entirely. They cannot affect the output clip lights on the Axe-FX so they are not the problem.

What were you using to monitor before? You can always plug back into that until you get this problem resolved.

D

I think the clipping was me playing around with the input/output and hitting the lower strings as hard as possible. In terms of Itunes, it was the speakers that changed. I was using a 2.1 system, an then swapped them with the KRKs.

not sure about this,but,how are thay mounted?on a desktop,shelf,wall bracket?sometimes the surface can effect the speaker.try isolating them by putting a foam pad under them.it may help.

I have the RP8's and they have a load of bottom end when they are sat on my desk. When isolated from the desk they sound great, well ballanced etc. Also keep them out of corners as this seems to kick the bass up as well.

Spence

Well, they're sitting on my desk and pushed into a corner - I'm severely limited for space, there is not much I can do. I might try getting some foam for them to sit on - any recommendations?

> pushed into a corner

I think you just found your problem. Putting speakes in a corner will do funny things to the bass response, usually causing a boomy situation just as you are experiencing.

Without a way to reposition the speakers, you need some form of EQ between your sources and the speakers. It will help but is really only a band aid.

- John

Looks like I'm going to have to re-arrange my room. And I just had the builders come in and knock in 4 sets of double plugs. I'm going to have to move to the other side of the room now :(.

Here's one good solution for isolating monitors from a desk surface; brand is Primacoustic, which is a division of Radial Engineering, who also produce Tonebone.

http://www.primacoustic.com/recoil-home.htm

There are also various types of rubber-sandwich materials out there that will also do a pretty good job, such as materials used to "float" floors, etc. Not available at Home Depot, but maybe from some acoustical supply companies.

So I could get one of those pads and sit the monitors on top of them?

They seem good, but quite expensive. Any alternatives? Will any foam do the trick?

juliancs said:
Well, they're sitting on my desk and pushed into a corner - I'm severely limited for space, there is not much I can do. I might try getting some foam for them to sit on - any recommendations?
Corner placement is the worst (most bass) -- do your monitors have a switch for placement compensation adjustment on the back? Some monitors have a 1/2 space (against a wall) or 1/4 space (in a corner), my Yamaha's have a "ROOM CONTROL" which is meant to tame the bass for wall and corner placement.

juliancs said:
So I could get one of those pads and sit the monitors on top of them?

They seem good, but quite expensive. Any alternatives? Will any foam do the trick?
I stick mine on a couple of thick programming books.

Back
Top Bottom