Bought Rosen Cabs...Now how do I get them onto the AFX?

Cheers for the suggestions. I've got social things to do right now so I won't be able to test these things until I get back.

I spent the past 10 minutes writing a support ticket to Fractal...only to get a "Internal Server Error"

*twitch*

Karma... hehe...

Sorry, in an attempt to turn the other cheek and offer up something that "might" be helpful, have you tried Fractal Bot instead of Axe-Edit? IMO it's the easiest, most straight-forward tool to use for cab loading and firmware updates. Simply launch and select your device (II or XL) and drag the SYSX file over into the interface (or browse to it with the button if you prefer). When you click the button to send the SYSX it then shows you the options of where to load it. You can select the active slot, any user slot, or a scratch pad slot. Fractal Bot automatically tells the difference between a preset, a firmware upload, and a cab and handles each one in the easiest way possible. If that doesn't work, try some other known good IR's to test your process, as someone else mentioned.

Good luck, and try to be patient. People around here genuinely try to help, especially Chris, who put up a whole web site dedicated to helping both beginning and advanced users get the most out of the Axe-FX II. I think several of us felt like you were not just ungrateful for his attempt to help, but pretty damn rude and insulting on top of it. Sorry if I just launched a shot back instead of trying to help out at first.

So you bought Cab-lab, then why not to do the whole process from there?

Let's start from the beginning... First Off, you must use the Axe-FX truncated Wav's from Rosen... I don't have any Rosen IR's so I don't know how the folder is named but I guess it should be easy to find.

Turn on your Axe-Fx. It must be connected to your computer via USB.

JUST Open Cab-Lab, no Axe-Edit, no nothing.

In the box named "3: SEND/SAVE" drop down the first box and select the device you own. I read you have an XL so select that. It must show that it's connected in green letters.

Go to the main box "1: SELECT" and click the first "Browse..." button. Find the .wav you want to use... Again, from the Truncated .wav's folder.

Go to the box named "3: SEND/SAVE" again and fill the box with the name that you want to show the IR in the Axe-FX. Name it "Test".
Finally click the orange button named "SEND TO USER CAB #"

It will prompt you where you want to save the IR in the Axe-Fx... Select the slot number you want and click the green button "SEND".
Now it MUST be saved in your Axe-Fx in that particular slot.

From here you can close Cab-Lab.

If you're not familiar with the front panel now open Axe-Edit.
Go to any preset, select the block cab and change the cab to the user slot you saved your ir. it should show the name "Test".

Here you go.

If you do this steps with Axe-Edit open, when you finish and browse for your IR in the user slot it shows blank, but it's there already, just it's not refreshed with the name... So remember, JUST open Cab-Lab, do the stuff and then open Axe-Edit.

If you want to convert the wav's to Ax-Fx format and store it in your computer use Wav2Syx from Cab-Lab, but that's another story....

If I missed something ,apologies, but I don't think I've seen whether you have a MkII or XL .? Could you be converting to XL syx and using a MkII ,or opposite? I'm not sure an XL syx would show up in a MkII ,or the other way around ?

I suppose if anyone is unhappy with the level of friendliness/help provided on this forum they can email and ask for a prorated refund of their annual subscription cost.....

/tangent

Some of you guys need to grow up and put on your big girl panties. I've never seen so many hut feewings over something that _barely_ qualifies as a faux paus.

Do you expect that in real life if someone asks you what time it is and you don't have a watch and you're like "I'd guess it's before 5..." they owe you their first born? It's only on the internet that we can be so ridiculous.

The whole point of this forum is to grow the AxFx right? Increase knowledge, welcome new members, help the young and old alike right? But if a new guy thinks a video made by a forum hero is long and drawn out (hey opinions of video's are just like opinions of tone and some of you are using 5 grand worth of gear and weeks to make sounds that could be made with a crate combo and a metalzone in 5 minutes.....) you guys break out the pitchforks and torches? Despite that lets look at this dynamic....as someone who also produces videos I pay attention to my criticisms because praise won't improve you like criticism. "Good job", "it was nice", "I like it"....all useless. I approach all things like this. Criticism is a much quicker teacher. You think cliff got the axeFx to where it is because of people going "yeah that sounds great!" or was there probably a bunch of "that sounds like shit"? He didn't say the guy was an ass, he didn't say he was ugly or sucked at life....he said he was very enthusiastic, the info was clearly presented but there was a lot of extraneous info, and very little that pertained to his specific question....which is all true....indeed the video is a general overview of the entire process and not really an answer to what the guy asked and suddenly "oh noes, protect our feels!" as the lot of you guys go full menstrual?...and so what if he doesn't want to spend any more money....I don't know if this is the most well off bunch of musicians ever but I know I'm not the only one who avoids spending money every chance I get....for people, half of which are running at least 1 pirated program, to insult a guy because he doesn't want to spend money if he doesn't have to is just plain poor form.

I've got a suggestion....change your manpons....take a deep breath and remember, this is just the internet. Say it out loud "this is just the internet." You don't have to jump off a bridge (or bury your head in the sand) because someone didn't say please or thank-you or ego stroke you for providing information they didn't need.

/end tangent

/tangent

Some of you guys need to grow up and put on your big girl panties. I've never seen so many hut feewings over something that _barely_ qualifies as a faux paus.

Do you expect that in real life if someone asks you what time it is and you don't have a watch and you're like "I'd guess it's before 5..." they owe you their first born? It's only on the internet that we can be so ridiculous.

The whole point of this forum is to grow the AxFx right? Increase knowledge, welcome new members, help the young and old alike right? But if a new guy thinks a video made by a forum hero is long and drawn out (hey opinions of video's are just like opinions of tone and some of you are using 5 grand worth of gear and weeks to make sounds that could be made with a crate combo and a metalzone in 5 minutes.....) you guys break out the pitchforks and torches? Despite that lets look at this dynamic....as someone who also produces videos I pay attention to my criticisms because praise won't improve you like criticism. "Good job", "it was nice", "I like it"....all useless. I approach all things like this. Criticism is a much quicker teacher. You think cliff got the axeFx to where it is because of people going "yeah that sounds great!" or was there probably a bunch of "that sounds like shit"? He didn't say the guy was an ass, he didn't say he was ugly or sucked at life....he said he was very enthusiastic, the info was clearly presented but there was a lot of extraneous info, and very little that pertained to his specific question....which is all true....indeed the video is a general overview of the entire process and not really an answer to what the guy asked and suddenly "oh noes, protect our feels!" as the lot of you guys go full menstrual?...and so what if he doesn't want to spend any more money....I don't know if this is the most well off bunch of musicians ever but I know I'm not the only one who avoids spending money every chance I get....for people, half of which are running at least 1 pirated program, to insult a guy because he doesn't want to spend money if he doesn't have to is just plain poor form.

I've got a suggestion....change your manpons....take a deep breath and remember, this is just the internet. Say it out loud "this is just the internet." You don't have to jump off a bridge (or bury your head in the sand) because someone didn't say please or thank-you or ego stroke you for providing information they didn't need.

/end tangent

Always nice when someone who's been here less than a month tells the rest of us how things are....

Always nice when someone who's been here less than a month tells the rest of us how things are....

He makes a few good points actually. It seems very common lately for a newbie to get somewhat jumped on when asking for help. Lots of flat rudeness by a few people that seems to be a re-occuring theme. It's not hard to spot.

Now in this particular thread, is the OP out of line? Yes, in his tone he comes across as a bit demanding. But do we need to jump on him and tell him off? Are we seriously offended by the way he has expressed himself, that we take it personally? It appears that some do. Wow, c'mon guys, let's cut the teenage drama around here....

Last edited:
Respect is always a two way street, and I think on the whole, people here are very helpful. Ive seen some members type of very long post to explain things in great detail, and lets face it, that takes a fair bit of time to do. Time they aren't get compensated for, nor required to provide. Simply people being helpful to others, which is great.

Now again, this isn't anyone's job, there isn't any "selective service" that all Fractal owners need to put in 6 months on the forum acting as a kind of help desk, nor is any support forum promised with purchase. Its all 100% voluntary here, but a lot of people seem to forget that. I don't know if its just younger people feeling entitled, and maybe they act that way towards everything in their lives, but its an odd thing, and I suppose the internet just makes things a bit stranger.

So now we've got "Alamo" coming in here, after less than a month (and how much help and advice has he provided others in that time I have to wonder) and telling us to take out our tampons ?

There is a guy who I'm sure everyone is going to love to help....

Its just all and all odd.... If we were having some sort of Axe fx user gather in the "real world", and had a bunch of experienced Axe users there providing demo's, helping answer questions etc, would someone really walk in there and make the same statements ?

Yesterday there was a guy who posted he wanted someone to send him a FW18 Beta because he didn't know if it was released yet, and he stated he didn't waste time spending all day on the forums like a bunch of us wimps with our fruity responses. I'm sure people were lined up to do him a favor....

Its basically akin to walking into a bar, going up to stranger and saying "Hey #&*@, give me $5". No one really does that in the real world. Here though, its basically a mentality of " I demand free help" and if I don't like it, I'm going to start calling people names because I'm pissed off their free help isn't good enough.

Strange place the internet.....

No, he doesn't IMHO.
Just read all his posts on this forum. He's just here to stir up things..

I'm referring to his post in this thread. I haven't read any of his others, nor really care to.

I'm not about to get caught up in this BS either. I made a post stating my opinion, and what I see around here at times. That's it.

Obviously, you and and a handful of others are extremely helpful here. There are a few that seem to jump on the newbs with the know it all attitude. This is a public forum, with FREE help....I get that. I just think at times, the newbs, or newer less experienced people get the short end around here for no real reason other than they didn't express themselves properly.....Happens quite often.

Last edited:
/and very little that pertained to his specific question....which is all true....indeed the video is a general overview of the entire process and not really an answer to what the guy asked

I agree the thread took an unfortunate turn.

But this is what was said to prompt my sharing of the video (which ultimately didn't exactly solve his problem):

Right, so I've converted them to the right file format, but I can't figure out how to get them into the program. Google leads me to old versions of Axe-Edit and the screenshots no longer make sense to me...

He couldn't figure out how to get it into the program.

His search led him to old information.

Also at that point we had no indication what gear he was using (he could have been using an Ultra for all we know; yes, people post ultra questions in the Axe II sub-forum).

So to show him how to put it in the program, and to show him the most recent information, I posted my video. The video addressed his questions at that time. After posting that, he then told us he was on XL with latest FW.

Regarding the steps he took, to be honest, I didn't know you could right click on a user cab slot then load an IR, so I actually thought maybe he is doing it wrong or using an old Axe-Edit version (again he didn't say anything about versions or what he was using, so I had to guess). So to be safe I shared with him the long version of my video.

I guess I wrongly assumed that someone given a long video on YouTube would just skim through it to find the part they needed and be satisfied with some help.

I previously received a lot of praise as to how I explained things in that and other videos. I always thought that I took too long, but the general consensus was that it's just right. For this topic however, I know some people are already familiar with Axe-Edit, so I did create that shorter version which basically cut to the chase of the new additions. I do take criticism very seriously and try to incorporate it. (Funny thing, he said the part about cabs was too short or cut off. Well it's because this was the short version and I already went through those specifics earlier in that video... And there was more detail in the long one.)

Remember, at that point I was stabbing in the dark as to what gear he had, what he's actually doing (you can never trust what people type and terms they use), and if he even did the wav to syx conversion correctly in the first place! In troubleshooting and support, if the user "did everything right and it's not working"... chances are they did NOT do everything right.

So I shared a video as the first step to troubleshooting, almost like a "hey, does your stuff look and function like this?"

What bothered me IS NOT that he didn't say thanks. I mean most people get their answer from me or someone else and never post again haha.

And what's funny is that his original reaction of "holy shit gahh this is long, I'll skim through it" was fine.

But what got me was that he takes the time to come back and edit his post to yell at "that guy" to "GET ON WITH IT."

It's funny: even though my forum name is Chris@KatsuKuriMedia, and I start the video saying "This is Chris from Katsu Kuri Media," I can understand that this guy in a hurry to solve his problem would gloss over the fact that he is talking to the guy who made the video.

But skipping ahead, he says if he did know it was me, he wouldn't have complained publicly. Why only then? If it wasn't me, then it's ok to complain that the guy isn't teaching the content at the pace he desires? Like "that guy" is wasting his time by not giving him the exact 5 seconds of information he really needs, when he really hasn't given us information that would help him.

Then he says (with a smiley) that when he gets the problem solved he will thank everyone. So any other failed attempts at help warrant no appreciation :)

He really didn't say anything so bad. Just the way he said it, the fact he edited a post just to complain, and a bit of misplaced criticism about the method/length of the video when he really was just unhappy that it wasn't the final answer... It all just rubbed me the wrong way and I said what I said. I'm allowed to do that :)

It seems other people viewed his reactions to free help the same way and were vocal about it. He is allowed to complain about the help he is receiving, and others are allowed to complain or react to his complaints.

This forum is a community made up of human beings who have ups, downs, emotions and reactions. It has been said in many places that this is the best music-related forum due to the members' collective knowledge and willingness to help. Well I think the price of admission is a bit of appreciation and patience with your own problem/question.

I think the problem in this thread from the beginning is right in the first post, first line. "Probably a fairly straightforward question." It seems he thought it should be a quick answer. This is an easy one. But how can you determine that if you are the one asking the question?

I get it. He spent money on something. It didn't do what he expected. Now people are telling him he needs to spend more money. Yuck. I'd hate to hear that too. Guys, this should be a straightforward question. Why is no one telling me the quick, straightforward answer I'm expecting? Holy crap you want me to watch a 27 minute video? Ain't nobody got time for dat. This answer should be "click here to solve your problem" and no one is smart enough to give me that answer. I don't need to thank anyone yet because my problem isn't solved. Why is everyone yelling at me instead of noticing that the short video doesn't answer my question? I want a straight answer.

I don't know how cab lab works, but is the SysEx ID in the created IR file correct for the XL?

Last edited:
Chris is always so helpful! The only good I got out of this was I didn't know about Rosen Cabs. They sound really good. And there are only 3 IRS which makes it less confusing (at least for me). With Cab lab it took me about 2 minutes.

Obviously, you and and a handful of others are extremely helpful here. There are a few that seem to jump on the newbs with the know it all attitude. This is a public forum, with FREE help....I get that. I just think at times, the newbs, or newer less experienced people get the short end around here for no real reason other than they didn't express themselves properly.....Happens quite often.

Such is life...

When your the new guy in a band, on a sports team, or in the office, your usually held to a bit of a different standard until you've proven yourself. Is that a double standard ? Sure, but its how the world works.

If I disagree with Yek and he calls me names, doesn't make it right, but given he's also helped me out tons of times, I use his freely provided patches etc, I think we would all let it slide.

New guy comes in and starts talking trash, people jump on him/her, as they rightly should.

Someone likes Chris's reputation consist of a huge wealth of shared knowledge and help, and a few transgressions aren't going to change that. But what is a newb's reputation consist of if half of their posting history is just putting down other members ?

See the difference ?

Newb's here aren't poor charity cases with no food and who don't know who their parents are. They are grown adults who have the luxury of buying a $2300 guitar processor. Not exactly going to pull on my heart strings when I hear that a 42 year old man didn't get the help he felt he deserved for his luxury electronics purchase.

Now don't get me wrong, I think ideally everyone should be treated with the same respect, with 1 post, or 10,000 post, and but again, its a 2 way street, respect. If its given, it will be returned. Such as in life.

But the "he's just new, he doesn't know better, you where all new once" excuses for poor behavior are BS in my book. I was new once, and I sure as heck didn't argue with any advice to questions I asked. I was amazingly grateful for all the help I got. Its not that hard of concept.

I may have been new to the forum, and new to owning an Axe-Fx II, but I certainly wasn't new to internet forums, or how to interact with other adults in a mature and respectful manner.

Back
Top Bottom