Bought a real amp

fatoni

Inspired
I just purchased an amp for the first time since I first got my ultra many years ago. Its a mesa boogie dc 5 combo. Despite the fact that the axe fx cured me of any amp gas it was really hard to pass up on a mesa for $320 locally. The first thing I noticed was how heavy this thing is. Dont miss that one but. Second was how much I undervalued all the control the axe gives you. I dont dig deep but its great to swap cabs, effects or complex parameters and change your entire rig at the click of a mouse. Third thing I noticed is that my setup into a computer and studio monitors really doesnt quite get that in the room thing that people die for. Doesnt matter because it sounds great and all but sometimes I just want that feel.

Great Mesa amp. $320 is a steal! I sold mine for $700. I had one as my go to for 15 yrs, till I got my Ax II. The DC-5 is much deeper than you think. some controls negate others if taken to extreme. Suggestion: Downloads the manual. The visual suggestions at the end are enlightening.

what a deal!
the DC series is my favorite, best Mesa for the money for sure.
give the control a try, master volume vs Chanel volume change the tone a lot.
what speakers do you have in it?

I know, right? Like I said, I have no need for a real amp but how do you pass something like that up? It has a black shadow speaker. My amp before the axe fx was a mark iv so Im pretty familiar with how unique mesa tone controls are so Im prepared to give it the patience I needed with the mark. It obviously wont cover the ground of the axe or even the mark iv (although it might do a couple things better) but when I get the urge to push some real air, it should do the trick nicely.

Back
Top Bottom