Boss IR-2 - Fractal Killer?

I just bought an FM9, reaching me on Monday. And I watched this and it gave me a bit of pause. $200 vs $1,599.. Maybe I'll buy the IR-2 and keep it as a back up, incase I get lazy with lugging my FM9? Watch the Youtube video. It's pretty darned impressive.
Good Choice-You will be amazed! And you'll have a small backup.

What's in your Tonex?
Captures of your Fractal tones?
Yo Dawg GIF

Boss just released the Boss IR-2.

Check out this review by Anderton's:

It's a successor to the Boss IR-200, which is bigger and more expensive.

The Boss IR-2 can emulate multiple amps and cabs, and allows the user to load their own IRs as well. It can do tube and solid state amps. It has built-in reverb effects. It also has an effects loop built in, and you can plug it directly into a computer and record into a DAW.

It retails for $199.99.

Could this render much more expensive Fractal products at least semi-moot? If you've already got effects pedals and don't them in a modeler, why would you buy a Fractal (or Line 6 or Neural DSP) when you could buy this?

This is assuming the Boss IR-2 is a good product, of course. Which, from early impressions, appears to be the case.

Guy shows up with 0 previous posts, claims it's a fractal killer... :smilingimp: ok Boss man.

This is an extremely convenient pedal platform, practice rig, back-up rig, amp for lessons, kids rig, etc.... It hardly scratches the surface on what processors do. You still need to spend $1000's to approach what any of them do - only a troll would try to characterize this as something more.

With that said, it looks to be a great product, stereo, FX Loop, 11 different amps, IR's, minimalist reverb options - very cool in the right rig.

Good idea, good price, sounds not bad ( in that vid ), but not enough for me.

It's a successor to the Boss IR-200, which is bigger and more expensive.
And that’s their target audience.
The Boss IR-2 can emulate multiple amps and cabs, and allows the user to load their own IRs as well. It can do tube and solid state amps. It has built-in reverb effects. It also has an effects loop built in, and you can plug it directly into a computer and record into a DAW.
Can it do speaker impedance curves in addition? That’s the third major component for determining the sound of the amp+cab sound.
It retails for $199.99.
For $200 you’re not going to be close to purchasing the processing power, the models and algorithms, or even the switching flexibility of the base FM3 unit.
Could this render much more expensive Fractal products at least semi-moot?
“Could”, “at least”, “semi”? Those are conditional words that inject all sorts of wiggle room to a false statement to try to make it arguable.

If I was worried about it failing I’d take my FM3 as a backup to my FM9 or FX3.

What's in your Tonex?
Captures of your Fractal tones?
Just got it yesterday, actually. It sounds good, but can’t really compare to the FM9T, though it’s not meant to. It’s a failover in the unlikely event to FM9T gets zapped or stolen on a gig. The reason I went with it is because the other guitarist in my band is building a new setup with a TONEX, so I can load up his presets and we’ll both have a backup in just one unit.

Honestly, I’d love to add a second FM9, but a few medical expenses and replacing my phone/ipad/laptop/and studio Mac all in the last year has left very little additional music money. 2024, however, should be better for these things, with everything else out of the way. Or maybe the Axe Fx IV Floor Model will come out and the FM9T will be my next backup!! :oops:

sometimes people forget that the price differences doesn't really reflect what you get. that ir-2 only holds a select few amps and cabs. the cheapest fractal (fm3) holds tons of amps and cabs. PLUS each one of those can be tweaked a lot. PLUS not to mention the effects it has. That not only are great effects but have modulation options not found on most pedals or most effects boxes.

I have not owned anything by Boss I wanted to keep and I have not owned anything by Fractal I wanted to get rid of (except tp upgrade to the latest and greatest)

Back
Top Bottom