Boss GE 10 EQ emulation?

From what I've been able to glean, the GEQ '10 Band Constant/Variable Q' type has pretty much the same frequencies as the GE-10. The only difference is the GEQ Type has a 63 Hz band, the Boss has a 62 Hz band. As far as the 'Q', I haven't seen any documentation stating what the pedal's actual Q setting is.

GE-7 should have a Q value of between 3 and 4 depending on the band, more here:

• Band 1 (100Hz): 3.36
  • Band 2: 3.47
  • Band 3: 3.71
  • Band 4: 4.06
  • Band 5: 3.11
  • Band 6: 3.74
  • Band 7 is a shelving filter, so no Q value

GE-7 should have a Q value of between 3 and 4 depending on the band, more here:

• Band 1 (100Hz): 3.36
  • Band 2: 3.47
  • Band 3: 3.71
  • Band 4: 4.06
  • Band 5: 3.11
  • Band 6: 3.74
  • Band 7 is a shelving filter, so no Q value

That seems unlikely. The Q of an octave equalizer is typically 1.414.

Furthermore that is a variable-Q design so at what slider position is the Q defined?

Last edited:
I went through my notes and found my analysis of the GE-7.

The Q for each band is around 1.4 (as expected). The maximum gain is 15dB. Note that the Q for a variable Q peaking filter is defined as f0/BW when the gain = 12dB.

This is another example of "Don't believe everything you see on the internet".

I went through my notes and found my analysis of the GE-7.

The Q for each band is around 1.4 (as expected). The maximum gain is 15dB. Note that the Q for a variable Q peaking filter is defined as f0/BW when the gain = 12dB.

This is another example of "Don't believe everything you see on the internet".
Out of curiosity, what's the difference between your analytical approach vs. what's in the video?

Admittedly my EE knowledge goes about as far as "know when to use an RC calculator to find a cutoff frequency" but I'd be interested to learn how similar inputs lead to such different results.

Out of curiosity, what's the difference between your analytical approach vs. what's in the video?

Admittedly my EE knowledge goes about as far as "know when to use an RC calculator to find a cutoff frequency" but I'd be interested to learn how similar inputs lead to such different results.
You can't just take the Q of the "RLC" network (the L is implemented as a gyrator). You have to find the eigenvalues of the whole network.

Also, it's just common sense. The relative bandwidth of an octave is 0.707. Therefore the Q is f0/BW = 1/0.707 = 1.414.

Back
Top Bottom