bose L1 compact or bose L1 model2

I know several folks here run their Axe through home stereo speakers(Raca for one) and powered near field monitors. Anybody tried either Bose L1 Compact or Model 2? (FRFR I believe)
I'm not interested in excessive volume or large cabs just good tone at lower volumes.
With respect, Otis

hello I've asked this question before with no joy...seem everyone has missed these..I've heard them localley and at reasonalble volumes they are exceptional...with vocals and acoustic...

I've looked at the spec...and they look good...

They were loud as well...getting over a drummer and pianist...

Anyone tried...

bit pricey...

I have been doing a little research...here info from Boses web site about the L1

youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sMcoOYC2pU&feature=related

Bose Information

Does the new approach work for electric guitar? Aren’t guitarists particular about their guitar amplifiers?
Yes. For most electric guitarists, the guitar amplifier is considered a part of their instrument, as inseparable from the sound of their instrument as is the wood and body shape of an acoustic guitar. For example, the distortion

created by the electronic tubes in some guitar amplifiers produces tones essential to many guitarists’ sound. Even the speaker transducers and speaker cabinets used in guitar amplifiers produce unique tone essential to some players’ sound.

How can these elements of the electric guitar’s tone be included in the L1™ system approach?
There are at least three ways this can be done, and each has been extensively tested by guitarists participating in the Bose® research that led to the new approach. The advantage gained in these approaches constitutes what is arguably the most important gain in electrical guitar sound since the invention of the guitar amplifier itself. The reason is that the Cylindrical Radiator® loudspeaker overcomes the problem of uneven radiation of sound to the stage and audience from traditional guitar amplifiers. This is of particular interest for the electric guitar because the radiation pattern of typical guitar amplifiers is so harshly directional as to be painful to listeners on-axis, and dull and muddy off-axis. Before, guitarists could create the desired "sweet spot" sound in one location (theirs), while all others were blasted on-axis or couldn’t hear the detail well off-axis.

1) A number of companies have in the past 10 years produced electronic devices that model the tone produced by tubes, guitar transducers and guitar amplifier speaker cabinets. These modeling amps initially helped to solve the problem of recording electric guitar and have become increasingly popular on stage. The electric guitarist simply plugs into one of these devices and the output of the device is then plugged into the L1™ Model II system. This is the most convenient and elegant way to use electric guitar with the L1 system.

2) One of a number of tube-based or solid-state guitar preamplifiers can be used. The output of these preamplifiers is plugged directly into the power stand.

3) The third way is for purists who are not satisfied that the modeling amps (first solution above) capture all of the nuances of a traditional guitar amplifier. These guitarists can use a tube amplifier with a microphone in front of the amplifier. Exceptional results have been obtained with the use of one of a growing number of low-wattage tube amplifiers. This class of guitar amplifier is becoming popular with players who want the tone of a tube amplifier but do not want to produce extremely high sound levels in order to get that tone.

How does the output of an L1™ Model II system compare to a loud stack of guitar amplifiers and cabinets?
The full stack is considered a standard by many guitarists, both in terms of tone and output.

An L1™ Model II system can compete effectively with the output of a full stack. However, there are other benefits, such as the radiation pattern of the L1 Model II system, that distinguish it from the full stack’s acute directional beam. Moreover, the Model II system can be used to amplify other instruments at the same time. The full stack is for one thing only: electric guitar.

Can you create distortion for guitars using the L1™ system?
No. Distortion must be produced first and then fed into the power stand as a clean, non-clipping signal. To achieve distortion, the guitarist can use a few methods:

- Inline devices: One popular method would be to use any of the effects pedals on the market or use a DSP-based amplifier modeler, such as the Line 6 "Pod," which models the tone produced by amplifier tubes, guitar transducers and guitar amplifier speaker cabinets.

- Miking a guitar amplifier: Another method would be to use a guitar amplifier and mic the speaker as closely as possible. The trick here is to run the amplifier at the lowest possible level at which the correct tone is attainable but does not diminish the benefits of the L1™ Model II system. Louder amplifiers can be located and miked offstage. Miking small, low-watt amplifiers is a better technique for this method.

- Use a loading device. Some electric guitarists may prefer to use their amplifier’s output as an input signal into the power stand. Before doing this, they must use a load device such as a "Plate Soak" or a "Hot Plate" to give a line-level output suitable for the input stage of the power stand.

- Use the "line output" of a guitar amplifier. Some amplifiers have this option and may be suitable for some guitarists. The only suggestion here is to turn the volume of the amplifier down so only the L1™ Model II system is heard.

Refer to the Bose® website and Musicians Community Forum at http://www.Bose.com/musicians to learn how to interface additional instruments with the system.

I have an L1 with one sub. I've only played the Axe through it at home, but it sounds very good. You need a little distance between you and it to sound its best (5 or 6 feet). The Bose has presets for mics and instruments. I have tried it flat (no presets), but I I think it sounds a little better using one of the mic'd guitar presets.

The frequency spread for the L1 is very top-end heavy which is why I never liked it for anything other than acoustic and vocals.

I have the commercial version which does not use the built in EQ models, and mine has 2 MB4 bass models (which is like 4 of the MB1 that come with the L1/L2). My crossover is the Bose Panarray processor/controller.

Bottom line is that once you tune your patches you can make it sound great, but forget about that - 'moving air thing' - you wont feel that. However in a band mix it will sound great if your going for the full band mix sound rather than the 'my amp sounds killer 4x12 sound'

I will say that the system can get loud but not extremely loud compared to a traditional top cab/bottom cab setup (like a 12"w/horn tops, and 18" bottoms). I get a ton of compliments on our sound, and also we generally dont use floor monitors for most of the setups. The full effect comes, like previously stated from about 5-6 feet away from the speakers.

I run the AXE, my piezo p'ups, and a GR33/axon synth along with a looper out to the Bose through a Yammy 01V96 v2 mixer, and to me it sounds great. FWIW, there is a real difference compared to the experience of a cabinet vs playing FRFR, and I will use one or the other, or both depending on the venue and band.

Last night I played my Ultra through L1 Model I and it sounded pretty nice to me.
The thing is, usually I don't go that route on gigs (I take full mix in my monitor, not only guitar)
so it's hard to say how would it sound with full mix running thought L1 Model I
but guitar only sounded really nice.

I posted this in reviews recently

Started with Ultra through 2 Bose L1's in Stereo. Firmware 6 something
Was extremely happy with clean Jazz (ala Metheny), but overdriven was plasticy? sounding.
Some kind of disconnect going on, hard to explain, could not nuance as well.
Then went with ultra into Marshall 9200 stereo into my open back EVM 212. Much better.
But didnt want to carry that around with the Bose's that i need for Guitar synths and on solo gigs backing tracks.
so went back to the bose's.
All the firmware updates helped allot. It got better every time. But still felt disconnect somehow on overdriven (ala EJ, Timmons, Trower).

Bought 2 QSC K12's. Same thing as Bose, while great and powerful, not any better than Bose IMHO. Except they are fairly light and small.

So recently went back to the EVM open back 212 with a solid state Peavey 800cs for the Ultra, still use the Bose for the synths and backing. When i need more, I setup the QSC's out front on Tripods for main mix.

I am the happiest I have ever been.
I have more immediacy and better connection due to the feel of open back stereo cab. No need to fuss with mics because the Ultra direct out just sounds great for Front of house. I seem to be able to get that groove thing happening now that I couldn't w/FR.
I'll probably use just the Bose for small quick gigs that i wouldnt be able to open up the 212's very loud anyway.

Of course the Ultra direct to recording is the best i have ever had.

tomorrow.... who knows.

Hello
I have 2 boses compact and an ax8
Very good if you equalize the boses
Lake of low mid between 700 and 1 khz and between 2khz and 3khz
Too much highs after 10khzand boomy before 100hz

With agood stereo equalizer all enclosure could approach an frfr cab
I use a mesurement mic and room wizard to see the freq response
After equalization, better sound , very guitaristic feel

Just sold my 1st gen L-1 for $500. Good for acoustic guitars and vocals -nothing else to me. Great 180* sound dispersion but horiid with rock mixes -backing tracks and gained guitars.

bose is notorious for:
1) no mid bass....where all the principle harmonics of most instruments lie
2) not publishing frequency response curves

Back
Top Bottom