Boost pedal in the Loop ? an issues?

Dealmaker

Inspired
I am thinking that in order to give me a one switch boost solution across all patches - the best solution would be a separate clean boost/Line Driver pedal (TC Spark - MXR Boost or similar) in the return signal to the amp's loop - wth selectable amount of boost.

Has anyone tried that or foresee any issues with that??

I have not tried it, but that should work.

Why not just use a Filter block in all your presets set for a 3db boost?

well I gu
I have not tried it, but that should work.

Why not just use a Filter block in all your presets set for a 3db boost?

Well I guess a number of reasons - 1) It will take up one of the block's 2) I will have to adjust every preset I make 3) I can put an external boost switch somewhere where its really accessible and easy to reach quickly ....4) I can very quickly dial up the amount of boost I want - subject to venue / song etc.....

I use a selfmade expression switch connected to pedal 2 with a pot meter to dial in the minimum setting (e.g. 80%), to control the global volume going from 80% to 100%. It even has a led that takes power from the pedal socket, so no batteries required !

I use a selfmade expression switch connected to pedal 2 with a pot meter to dial in the minimum setting (e.g. 80%), to control the global volume going from 80% to 100%. It even has a led that takes power from the pedal socket, so no batteries required !

Wow - that sounds perfect. I was asking about that on another thread but was told it wasn't possible?? SO basically you are doing what would be called the "Matman" boost method on the FXII ??? How would I go about replicating that??

I'll have to look up the scematic for it (I'm not at home right now), but it is real easy...
What or who is "Matman" ?

I'll have to look up the scematic for it (I'm not at home right now), but it is real easy...
What or who is "Matman" ?

I don't know - its just the method he suggested which allows you to have a Global Boost across all presets of the FXII by using a CC# to adjust the volume output of the AXE - such that the user can select on a 0-127 scale how much they want the "default" volume to be (in my case around 110) - and then when you hit a button thats linked to the correct CC# your AXE reverts to the full 127 volume setting - so in effect you are holding the volume back until you hit the switch.

yeah that's in the same ballpark. Only my little pedal is actually a expression pedal, but instead of the rocker pedal, I use a switch...
It's like a "nose pedal", if you know that, but much cheaper ;)

I do a similar thing with the EV-1 set up as a volume pedal in the chain after the effects. This way I can rock it back for standard volume and push it forward for the needed boost. Plus I have all the added benefits of a volume pedal at my disposal.

Reactions: MBJ
I do a similar thing with the EV-1 set up as a volume pedal in the chain after the effects. This way I can rock it back for standard volume and push it forward for the needed boost. Plus I have all the added benefits of a volume pedal at my disposal.
That was my first sollution with my Roland EV-5, but this way you have to program a volume block for every preset. With my global expression switch it's set-it-and-forget-it ;)

well I gu

Well I guess a number of reasons - 1) It will take up one of the block's 2) I will have to adjust every preset I make 3) I can put an external boost switch somewhere where its really accessible and easy to reach quickly ....4) I can very quickly dial up the amount of boost I want - subject to venue / song etc.....

Oh, I get it. I was just pointing out that there is an option "in the box" without the need for an external solution. I did not know if the OP was aware that the filter block can be used as a boost.

I like Sonicsam's solution. That sounds really useful. I'd be interested in the schematic to make one of those.

I have ordered a pedal to your schematic from Bright Onion pedals Sonicsam!! Thanks!!

Can you please divulge what you did in the settings to facilitate the volume boost feature??

Thanks!

First in setup/I-O/pedal you have to calibrate the pedal like a normal expression pedal, then in ctrl, at out 2 post volume you select pedal 2. Now with the minimum level pot on the pedal you set your normal level (switch not engaged) against the solo level (switch engaged)

I'm thinking to use separate pedal boost too (catalinbread scp) with my fx8 for live use. But I only use pre. Where should I put the boost pedal? Can I put it at send return (post) of fx8? Or simply between pre out and amp input? I wish the catalinbread scp can make the fx8 more cut through the mix when in live situation and can reduce the too bright clean sound from fx8.

Back
Top Bottom