Boost Level

Karl Houseknecht

Power User
Love the new Control Switch functionality to assign a footswitch to a parameter. I have it controlling the amp Boost right now on one patch, but unfortunately 12dB of boost is too much for this particular application. I don't think there's a way to vary the boost level, is there?

but unfortunately 12dB of boost is too much for this particular application. I don't think there's a way to vary the boost level, is there?

12DB is definitely too much of a boost, I'm certain you've already tried a 2-6DB boost with a Filter block at the end of your signal chain? And I'm 99% sure you can change the boost level of the "amp boost" parameter. I would imagine it varies per amp model as well.. Good luck mate!

I want to goose the front of the amp, not boost for solo. And I'd like to do that without adding another drive block. How does one change the amp boost parameter? I could not find docs for that, and the parameter eludes me. I know you can change the Sat level.

Filter block in front of the amp would work. But if you want to stay in the amp block and "goose the front of the amp" then try the input trim too.

I'd have to use a scene controller to "switch" the input trim, right? I was hoping for something in the simple on/off category that I can assign to a footswitch.

You can use the new Control Switch functionality for this as well. Just check out the controller page in AX8-Edit.

They can be set on/off per scene and they control modifier values as well. Check out Chris's video, starting at the 28 minute mark.

I thought control switches were on/off and input trim was a pot?
you can set the range of the control switch behavior just like any other controller. It can also be set as latching or momentary. Example -hold it down for a quick cange to input gain ,let off it's back to normal

I'd have to use a scene controller to "switch" the input trim, right? I was hoping for something in the simple on/off category that I can assign to a footswitch.
As was said you don't need a scene controller... just use a Control Switch or external pedal. (on an AFX w/ MFC you can use an IA switch too). I do this on a lot of presets where I want to be able to control the amount of Boost.

I use a Filter block with Level set at 6 dB, for this purpose in all presets.

I throw the input trim on an expression pedal with limits adjusted to taste then I can roll on how much I need.

bit of both. some of my patches have it with the expression pedal so I can control it and others it is set for use with a stomp - latching pedal. I think I like hte pedal option better as I can never remember which patch has the expression pedal set for wah and which doesnt ... hehehe

Back
Top Bottom