Blue MoFi Headphones with Axe Fx?

Are you guys that are using them with the Axe, are you using them in passive mode or with ON engage?

I've found with the amp on, that's it sooo loud that I have turn the output 1 volume down to 2 or 3. Personally I like them in passive with the Axe but curious how ya'll are using them.

Are you guys that are using them with the Axe, are you using them in passive mode or with ON engage?

I've found with the amp on, that's it sooo loud that I have turn the output 1 volume down to 2 or 3. Personally I like them in passive with the Axe but curious how ya'll are using them.

I listened to mine playing with the Axe II for two days before I realized I hadn't turned the damn thing on! I thought it sounded very good in passive mode. Active really jacks up the volume. It took me a while to adjust. I like it both ways now. I still don't think I could build patches with them. Too much difference between sitting six feet away from the speakers and right up in your ear.

I'm using them in active mode, but without the bass boost.
Just adds that something extra.
But they sound great in passive mode as well.

I'm not bothered by the weight at all.
They are convenient to wear, as I wrote above. But nothing tops the 880s. My ears do get a little sweaty after wearing the Mo-Fi for some time. As with almost all headphones. But not with the 880s.

I'm using them in active mode, but without the bass boost.
Just adds that something extra.
But they sound great in passive mode as well.

I'm not bothered by the weight at all.
They are convenient to wear, as I wrote above. But nothing tops the 880s. My ears do get a little sweaty after wearing the Mo-Fi for some time. As with almost all headphones. But not with the 880s.
When you say nothing tops the 880, do you mean sound wise or only confort? If they sound like the 880 but are closed back, they would be great as tracking hp.

I've had mine for a week. The weight is not an issue (for me). I've worn them for hours at a time and never get tired or uncomfortable. Sound quality is great! I think the onboard amp is nice but my iPhone and my XL both have enough power to drive the headphones adequately without the need of additional amplification.

I've just pulled the trigger on a pair of 880s because of this thread. Looking forward to hearing them for myself now. The Blue MoFi look a little heavy for long term use. I want to wear these at work for 8 Hrs and then be able to use them at home for my Axe Fx.

Hi yek....I've been using a pair of 880s for so long I've had to replace the cable twice. I love them....swear by them. Your posts are clear on comfort, but what about sound and mo fi's, are they really a major step up? I play with cans exclusively, even on stage, so always interested in improving my world. Can you give me a little sound comparison feedback?

Not a major step up.

The 880s have a better high frequency range/reproduction.
I compared both listening to Avici's Wake Me up. That acoustic guitar sounds much more natural.

If you use headphones to listen to music, and not for monitoring, you should stick with your 880s, I think.

Then again, the Blue seems to be made for the Axe-Fx. I always use the Blue with the Axe-Fx.
Maybe it's the large drivers, or the fact that the bass, even in passive mode, is more pronounced (but not hyped).
Or maybe I just like the treble roll-off (even though the Blue has quite a flat response).

With the Blue, the music is closer-by. The 880s are slightly more spacial.

Last edited:
They sound quite similar to my DT 880s. And are convenient to wear. Which is a huge compliment.
Yes they weigh a lot more, but not annoying.
They are very quiet.

Used with the Axe-Fx everything gets a little better. But not "hyped". Seems a great fit to the Axe-Fx, from clean to hi-gain.

Reviving old thread. I have two sets of Mofis and use with my Axe Fx based rig for dialing in, as I live in an apt and walls are cinderblock so monitors rarely sound great.
I am planning on getting two CLRs and use them as monitors and also should I ever actually take the rig out to play some where.

Is anyone else using Mofi and CLR? Do you find if you tweak on one the patch sounds good on the other?

I have both the mofi and clr and I find they translate really well to one another. There's obviously a difference between headphones and monitors, you hear more effects on hp and you have more the amp in the room with the monitors. Once you're accustomed to those difference, they work well together.

I have both the mofi and clr and I find they translate really well to one another. There's obviously a difference between headphones and monitors, you hear more effects on hp and you have more the amp in the room with the monitors. Once you're accustomed to those difference, they work well together.

Thanks for your opinion. Just awaiting CLRs to be ready. Mofis rock!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hi guys,thanks for the posts,i bough the beyerdynamics dt880 250 ohms but not so happy when using presets with distortion.they don t sound well.i was wondering if with the mofi headsets ,the distortion sounds the same like the recorded input on cubase.i just dont have the money to spend on frfr speakers but i want good quality to make presets and hear through headsets whats recorded

Last edited:
If the sound isn't great through the DTs, adjust the preset. Nothing wrong with the DT.

Start with a known good preset like any of the first 50 simple amp/cab factory presets. These "sound well" and have a "nice tone". They may not necessarily be your favourite tones but that's how various amps are supposed to sound like. There's always going to be some differences as the physics are simply different when you strap speakers to your ears vs having speakers in any room. And in the end hearing is always subjective and you will hear things differently from day to day, first thing in the morning vs late at night and so on so when you say "they don't sound well", that on its own is useless unless you quantify that with "compared to...", what you're expecting to hear and what you feel is missing. If you're strictly looking for a recorded tone, do a web search for isolated guitar tracks and you will find examples of tone that has been used for recordings as a reference point. But you can safely trust that this is not an equipment problem. When you're dealing with some of the highest quality stuff like the Axe Fx 2 and beyerdynamics, swapping headphones to say the Blue MoFi's is not going to the difference between bad and good, it's going to be very slightly different where you maybe perceive one to have slightly more presence, or one slightly more clarity in the bass, and things like that, that will only be noticeable in a direct A/B test. So get yourself some reference points you can use for dialling in your own presets.

Reactions: Rex
hi,sorry i was not so specific.by saying (they dont sound well)i was meaning distorted with hi gain presets.i can defenetely say that using other presets like clean tones,reverb,chorus...are amazing but when i play hi gain presets like the hbe the sound through the headset is not well transfered.i am aware that i have the best gear on earth,so much to learn still and i am sure that the problem is exactly what you are mentioning (adjusting presets to make it sound good)i just need to figuer out how to make it sound that way. poweramp and cab modeling are on and through headset maybe is too much.i am defenetely going to try setting the cab block differently to lower the volume and make distortion sound good through it.i was downloading a couple of presets like (van halen panama) and i thought that without any adjustments it would sound right through my headphones but i must be wrong and i need to experiment with presets.

Back
Top Bottom