Blue MoFi headphones ear cushions

Although they sent me another pair after a messed up repair attempt I too won’t buy any of their products again, as the second one has also disintegrated
Good sound but …….☹️

I just bought a pair, too. Motherf'ers are heavy!

That was the deal breaker for me. Thankfully, I researched before I purchased.

It seems almost impossible to find headphones that are close to flat frequency response, well made / durable, and comfortable for long term wear (not too much clamping force, not too heavy). I can't seem to find that combination of characteristics at any price.

It seems almost impossible to find headphones that are close to flat frequency response, well made / durable, and comfortable for long term wear (not too much clamping force, not too heavy). I can't seem to find that combination of characteristics at any price.
Have you tried the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x?

They are pretty flat (tested with Sonarworks in the trial period), not super expensive and largely used (https://equipboard.com/items/audio-technica-ath-m50x-professional-monitor-headphones#nav-artists).

Bonded leather is an old friend. I have three pairs of Blue MoFis (all bought before they started to show signs of breakdown) and just to add to the fun, my recliners in the home theater have a similar material. Fake leather disintegration is just a part of life now. As far as the headphones, they still sound great so I just accept that the leather is going to slowly flake off until there's none left. For my main pair we're already there. No excuse from Blue, but in my case they're still acceptable from a sonic standpoint. I have a pair of Focals that are several years old but still look brand new. If I had known, I would have gone all Focal or some other brand at the beginning.

Have you tried the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x?

They are pretty flat (tested with Sonarworks in the trial period), not super expensive and largely used (https://equipboard.com/items/audio-technica-ath-m50x-professional-monitor-headphones#nav-artists).

I appreciate the suggestion. I have not tried those in person but I know they are well liked. I have seen detailed reviews where they show these to be quite bass heavy without equalization, but are otherwise pretty good. Considering the price, that's a fair compromise. I wish they were a little higher impedance so that I would be able to run them cleanly off of the internal headphone amp in the Axe-FX III.

I appreciate the suggestion. I have not tried those in person but I know they are well liked. I have seen detailed reviews where they show these to be quite bass heavy without equalization, but are otherwise pretty good. Considering the price, that's a fair compromise. I wish they were a little higher impedance so that I would be able to run them cleanly off of the internal headphone amp in the Axe-FX III.
I use them with the Axe-Fx III and I don't need extra amplification if you mean that.

I use them with the Axe-Fx III and I don't need extra amplification if you mean that.

It isn't a matter of them not being loud enough or not working, but the poor damping factor caused by the high output impedance of the amplifier coupled with the low impedance of the headphones. A poorly damped speaker causes distortion in the low frequency range even at moderate volumes. Ideally, you want your headphones to have an impedance of at least 8x the output impedance of the amplifier used.

Yeah, I can't wear them. At all. Besides if I did I bet my neck would look like this eventually. :)

PslFiPRDHd590nDd321a4JT0_DUxf_doDBWQnDcB2U8.jpg

First my Blue Lola headphones failed, hinge over right ear separating after 18 months. I contacted Blue about the warranty and (even though they were registered with Blue) I had to submit all of my info again. There first offer was to return my purchase price, which was $40 less then the current price on Amazon.

When I complained about this, they explained that Blue no longer makes headphones and the ones for sale on Amazon now were from the mass sale by Blue of all of their stock to third parties. After more complaining, they sent me a pair of mix-fi headphones. I didn't like the weight, the amplifier or the proprietary cord, but they do sound good.

Two weeks after getting them, the left ear cup is shredding and the headband is starting to crack.

Blue is owned by Logitech. Logitech 2022 sales were over $5 billion!

What a sad state of affairs and what a poor way to treat someone who WAS an enthusiastic customer.

First my Blue Lola headphones failed, hinge over right ear separating after 18 months. I contacted Blue about the warranty and (even though they were registered with Blue) I had to submit all of my info again. There first offer was to return my purchase price, which was $40 less then the current price on Amazon.

When I complained about this, they explained that Blue no longer makes headphones and the ones for sale on Amazon now were from the mass sale by Blue of all of their stock to third parties. After more complaining, they sent me a pair of mix-fi headphones. I didn't like the weight, the amplifier or the proprietary cord, but they do sound good.

Two weeks after getting them, the left ear cup is shredding and the headband is starting to crack.

Blue is owned by Logitech. Logitech 2022 sales were over $5 billion!

What a sad state of affairs and what a poor way to treat someone who WAS an enthusiastic customer.

Save up for some DT 1770 ot 1990 Pros. Excellent build quality and sound. Also, having around-ear cups, they're way more comfortable than anything I've tried by Blue. And unlike Blue, they have yet to show any signs of disintegrating on me after 2 years of regular use.

Always go for velour pads if possible. The fake leather ones always flake and fall apart eventually. Every brand I've ever used has done this. My skin type plays hell on that crap and it never lasts.

Anyone try the Slate VSX phones yet?
I have a set of Blue MoFi with the awesome flaking ear pads.
Before I buy a new set of earpads and spend 100 bucks on Sonarworks to correct their EQ curve.....wondering if I should just spend 300 and get a new pair of Slate VSX.
I tried the demo of the Sonarworks Eq correction on my MoFi and I think it's 'decent', but not amazing. Bigger disappointment with Sonarworks is the lack of 'listening rooms'. Not to mention, I don't think they sound right - even with just listening to music I know. The 'car' settings sound awful (with music I know).

Back
Top Bottom