Blue Mix-Fi vs Sadie

OmegaZero

Inspired
I had previously thought Sadie was the replacement for Mo-Fi. Now Blue have released Mix-Fi, which they explicitly call out as the replacement for Mo-Fi. Looking at the specs and available info I'm having a hard time figuring out what is different about them. Marketing fluff aside, the only meaningful differences I see are a smaller battery in the Sadie (which makes them a tad bit lighter) and an extra $100 in the price for the Sadie. I submitted the question via Blue's website, but just got back another bunch of marketing fluff. My guy at Sweetwater said they don't know either and have been asking the same question. Anyone out there have more information on this?

Anyone? I've now talked with a half-dozen Blue resellers and most hadn't even heard of the Mix-Fi model yet. Still wondering what the differences are other than weight and price.

Other than Blue classifying the Sadie as being premium consumer headphones intended for listening pleasure and the Mix-Fi being called studio grade headphones, I don’t see any difference either. Certainly nothing in the specs. Maybe there’s a slight difference in frequency response? I don’t know, they’re not providing that info. For what it’s worth, I have two pairs of the Mo-Fi (precursor to the Mix-Fi) that I bought specifically for acoustic drum tracking in the studio. I just needed some headphones that had some extra volume if needed. The Mo-Fi definitely did the trick. I think you’ll be fine going with the Mix-Fi and saving $100.

For anyone curious, I did manage to talk with someone at Blue who answered this question. Apparently Mix-Fi is simply a renamed Mo-Fi (due to some nebulous legal issue). Sadie is a newer design based on Mo-Fi, but there are some slight differences. The battery in Sadie has slightly less capacity and was chosen to reduce weight. Along with this, the maximum output level of the system was also reduced. The amp switching circuitry was also redesigned to minimize popping when changing settings. While the drivers themselves are identical, the enclosures are ported slightly differently on Sadie to adjust bass response for a more "consumer oriented" sound. The tech I spoke with was quick to add that the change in frequency response due to the porting was minor - the change was more about the attack and feel of the bass.

Back
Top Bottom