Block Libraries for Effects?

a Keeley type delay already dialed in
Dialed in for... what? Everyone has a different idea how a delay, chorus, flanger, should sound, but they're all time-based effects and usually available from a delay-type box. In my experience, everyone thinks it sounds differently than I do.

I bought, and still have, a TC Electronics SCF, the famous "Stereo Chorus Flanger" that Eric Johnson used, when they were first released, and there are some blocks for the Fractal Audio devices that say they sound like it, but, unh-uh, not like how I set mine, and if I was to adjust their block to make it sound like I want, I could have just as easily started from scratch and created it myself.

I have a Keeley 30 MS, and their Eccos pedal, and while it seems that it'd be convenient for someone else to dial it in, they'd never get the sound I want, but spending some time with their literature and documents and some reviews of them, will give me ideas of how to recreate the sound.

I think it'd be wonderful if someone nailed the exact sound you want for you, but I think it's highly unlikely, again, because everyone has a different idea of what they want it to sound like.

I always end up changing downloaded presets to fit my setup but I find they are sometimes a good place to start, whether to just look at different ways people build them or just to save some time. I'd use a block library in a similar fashion.

Some of the presets I've downloaded have had the eyes plucked out of them and some blocks saved to my library, especially time based effects since I often struggle to get what I'm looking for with these.

I love building my own presets from scratch, but there are some blocks I've saved that seem to fit into anything. Of course I wouldn't expect all of them to do so, just as I don't with downloaded presets.

if you wanna have a bash at curbing your gas, hit me up...i'm sure we can get some shit going that'll scratch that itch

Hey bud, downloaded and if they fit the bill I will donate some beer tokens.

I am in Liverpool, so only down the road from you if you are in North Wales. If you are in a band and gig up my way let me know.

I hope you are enjoying the slate grey skies of the UK lol.

Mike

I too think a block exchange site would be awesome.

I've been a professional software engineer for 35 years, so maybe I'll carve some time out from playing, and build a site.

I'll have to check with FAS, and see if they have a 3rd party developer NDA . I would really like to avoid rwverse-engineering their block file format that gets saved to disk.
I sent a message to Cliff last month, and he's cool with me building a free and open-source AxeFx preset / block sharing platform, let me know if you have time and are keen to help out.

Back
Top Bottom