"Block Exchange" similar to Axe Change, just for blocks?

hughj

Inspired
I apologize if this has been suggested before, but i'd love to see something like this. Hopefully blocks could be used on all of the axe models as well. I know Yek made "the mother of all effects" thread, but it disappears after a couple of days every time it resurfaces.

Given that Al just made a conversion software that will let II, XL and AX8 users share patches (for the most part), I don't think there would be much interest in just blocks anymore. It was really more of a workaround for users of II's who wanted to use XL patches et al.

Just as easy to DL the patch as a whole and then the user can save a given block from it if they wish.

Given that Al just made a conversion software that will let II, XL and AX8 users share patches (for the most part), I don't think there would be much interest in just blocks anymore. It was really more of a workaround for users of II's who wanted to use XL patches et al.

Just as easy to DL the patch as a whole and then the user can save a given block from it if they wish.
There has always been a use for blocks. Back before there was an FX or AX or XLwe had blocks. They are great for when you don't want a whole preset but just the delay or the wah ect.

To the OP it has been suggested before. I believe they said they were possibly going to integrate it in to axchange (might have been edit)

There has always been a use for blocks. Back before there was an FX or AX or XLwe had blocks. They are great for when you don't want a whole preset but just the delay or the wah ect.

To the OP it has been suggested before. I believe they said they were possibly going to integrate it in to axchange (might have been edit)

Yes, I know there has always been some popularity for blocks, thus the "the mother of all effects", of which I've created various folders on my PC with various blocks for wah pedals, flangers etc. Point being though that while that thread, and block saving, have existed for years, they have not been overwhelmingly popular.

Most users don't seem to want just a flanger block, they want the complete patch for "Ain't Talking About Love" with the amp and cabs all dialed etc. People are essentially lazy is one take on that LOL. We don't want the Gilmour CS2 comp block which we can assemble with other parts of the chain, we just want SOYCD loaded up and ready to go with one click.

To me, the only reason there has been any real peak in block interest is simply because it was the ONLY option until Al's software for letting a II user use a XL patch. Want John's amazing Metallica Tonematches but you don't have an XL ? Your out of luck unless someone goes and saves each block and then the II users can put it together from a screen capture. Pretty big PITA too. I've done just that as I'm a II user! lol

Now though, if we can just trade patches, a majority that wanted blocks will just take the XL patch, run in through Al's converter, and load it into their II, which I was doing just last night.

I'm certainly not saying there isn't a point in blocks, but just that it doesn't seem most users want that ability, so as such, I don't see a block exchange being that popular.

Think about it, you get a great flanger block, but stuck it in a different spot in the chain than the guy who created it, and it sounds bad, so then people say its not a good block or doens't sound "right". Heck, even with a full patch differences in guitars and such can make things sound different.

At least when I get the full patch I've got the chain in the order the creator intended, levels set, amp and cab that "should" sound good etc.

Patches just seem far more practical over.

We can exchange blocks on the forum and in the MOAE's thread, as always

I apologize if this has been suggested before, but i'd love to see something like this. Hopefully blocks could be used on all of the axe models as well. I know Yek made "the mother of all effects" thread, but it disappears after a couple of days every time it resurfaces.

Good idea. I think blocks can stand on their own. Some sounds like a good chorus/flanger, autowah or delay don't 'need' the whole preset. Just the block itself can be useful and can be used for further exploration or can be used as a quick way to throw in a standard chorus or whatever. Just see them as separate pedals that you can combine with other pedals.

A separate exchange thing could be useful otherwise these blocks will get buried in the forum topics.

I like the idea. Blocks are quite useful for individual effects. However, keep in mind that not all settings are saved with blocks. Modifier settings are saved with the block, but settings for any controllers that drive them are not. LFO, ADSR, Envelope, Sequencer, etc settings are not saved with blocks that use them. Those settings are only saved in presets. More complicated effects made with multiple blocks or controllers will need to be saved as a preset.

I find I rarely ever want a whole patch and the volume nightmare that comes with it when I only want, say a strymon style verb or a lead guitar delay
when going thru patches in AXChange i save the better ones for dialing in later but sometimes the patch isn't happening but there is a fabulous block that stands out
these i'll save and interject them into any patch to take the place of a "weak" block and give it some pizzazz

I guess I just figured that it would be cool to have people sharing their knowledge of effects. I don't have much experience with them myself.

I also think it's a great idea. I RARELY use anyone's Presets wholesale. I might rip-off a block out of it, or adjust my settings on a particular block closer to what they had, to see what that does, but mostly I haven't had good luck with Presets translating well to my own needs.

Some of the amp blocks that Yek has done, the freaky synth tones from Simeon & Fremen, the classic tones from Java, the Fender tones from Tyler Grund, and a few others, have been most helpful to me in developing my palette.

If I'm looking for an EH POG, for instance, I hate to d/l and try out 100 patches trying to find one with a POG in it. If I could just find a POG preset, by doing a POG search, I'm already there. I can see a lot of interest in a Block Exchange, myself.

Back
Top Bottom