Blending 2 amps, 2 cabs or 1 stereo cab, or 1 single cab?

imrecs

Inspired
I like to blend 2 amps to get my tone. Not panned, just blended straight up the center. Right now my favorite is a Deluxe Reverb/Tweed Deluxe + 1959SLP Normal.

For those who blend 2 amps for one sound, do you use 2 separate cabs, run them into a stereo cab (one amp panned hard left into the cab block, one amp panned hard R, and then the cab block panned center, blending them back as one), or maybe just run them both into 1 single cabinet?

Wondering what's the most efficient for CPU and best for sound?

Giving them separate cabs allows me to run the optimal cabinet for each amp, i.e. the Marshall with a Marshall 4x12 and the Fender through a 1x12 or a 4x12 with different speakers. Though a singular cab might work to to help "glue" the 2 tones together.

Wondering what everyone else is doing when running dual amp set ups.

Also, is it possible to have the X and Y states for each amp and cabinet to be entirely different choices, and then have 1 foot switch that can change X/Y on both amps and 2 cabs at the same time, without any interruption? There are some other combinations of amps I also like and would love to have them both available in a single song, without changing presets.

For me it depends on the song. For example, my VH tones are all single cab, most of my slash style tones are stereo cab but not panned at the full 100% R/L. Being a single guitarist in a cover band, when covering tracks that originally have two guitars I usually use separate cabs or stereo panned hard R/L. Sometimes for really heavy tracks I'll split the signal from the cab block with a slight ms delay similar to the Petrucci factory preset in the Axe.

I don't have the CPU details, but it has been discussed before with exact CPU % differences for each type of cab block.

As for X/Y, what you are describing is what Scenes are for... changing x/y states across multiple blocks simultaneously with a single foot switch.

I am curious to see what others on the forum are doing at the moment as well. It's been a while since reading through one of these types of threads. I know my approach to the cab block has been very fluid and changes often.

seems I would save a few CPU %s if I run a Stereo Ultra-Res Cabinet, vs 2 Ultra Res Cabinets separately? If I pan the amps L and R going into the Stereo cab, will that be the same as sending each amp into it's own UR Cab? Just might have to compensate for volume? Then I can change the panning in the Stereo cabinet if I want the amps to be panned wide, 50%, or blended up the middle...and also can utilize the "preamp" in the cab block and save CPU by not having to run 2 preamps on 2 cabs.

Is there any tonal benefit to running 2 cabs instead of 1 stereo cab with 2 amps?

can someone confirm if there is any any tonal benefit to running 2 cabs instead of 1 stereo cab with 2 amps?

Btw it doesn't seem like it's saving me any CPU if I use a stereo cab vs 2 regular hi res cabs....hmmm

Last edited:
I think running two mono cabs gives the added ability to add some parallel effects to just that amp/cab combo, so if you wanted to run something like a rotary block and have it on your clean amp output, it would be a little more flexible routing wise.

I test ir's in stereo cab and when I find a great pair I mix them in cab lab and run single saves a lot of cpu. then run stereo effects after cab for stereo if you want it.

Me thinks this is a yek question...

In my own limited experience, there's little if any difference between two blocks or a stereo cab block, except in that the volume 6db more in the former. Of course, little adjustments in cab parameters may make or break or sweeten a combination. Many people seem to be using stereo cab blocks versus a single-mono one. Really Cab-Lab is in order if you're wanting something really complex....I haven't bothered yet, though I probably should soon-ish.

As for dual amps, the only instance that's gotten my attention is Stel Andre's Let's Shred lead tone.

I blend IRs for each amp in Cab Lab already. I'm now wondering about dual amp set ups and whether to use 2 single hi res cabs, or a stereo hi res cab. Seems to take the same CPU as far as I can tell...

I blend IRs for each amp in Cab Lab already. I'm now wondering about dual amp set ups and whether to use 2 single hi res cabs, or a stereo hi res cab. Seems to take the same CPU as far as I can tell...

Guess just give it a try, see if there is a difference in the CPU hit, and more importantly, see if you notice any tonal advantages one way or the other. Generally the concepts of "better" comes down to personal taste more than anything

With two mono Cabs, you have the added parameter of speaker *size*, which can help greatly for making two Cabs 'behave well' together :)

Back
Top Bottom