Blame Canada (Post)? - AXE FX II Shipping to Canada - Definitive Answers Thread

Are you in Canada and wanting to order an Axe-Fx II?

• Total voters
^^^ Amen.

Getting butt-raped with a pine cone whilst having your head slammed in a car door has to be much more preferable than paying UPS fees. But whattawe gonna do?

I was going to order an MFC-101 but I refuse to get anything shipped UPS. Especially not at the price these things go for. UPS has seriously insane ass-raping brokerage fees....

FedEx would have been the lesser of 2 evils... but USPS should have remained an option.

If Fractal doesn't ship get USPS shipping back, I'll wait for someone to sell their MFC-101 in Canada or for someone in the US to accept to ship USPS as it should be. Perhaps I'll just get one of Jeff's new LF12/LF12+ at LiquidFoot/FAMC. He's much more accommodating and understanding on the UPS/FedEx Canada situation...

Shipping to canada has been restored! that's great news. But how come it seems like I can't get a new coupon (since the one I got in november expired)... Let's wish I don't have to wait an other 5 months...:roll

did you get charged tax? I went in to test if Canadian shipping was available and fractal was charging me tax. That can only be done if they are covering the duties/tax for me. Grantcooper2 did you get charged tax? I would LOVE to not have to deal with the UPS duties!

did you get charged tax? I went in to test if Canadian shipping was available and fractal was charging me tax. That can only be done if they are covering the duties/tax for me. Grantcooper2 did you get charged tax? I would LOVE to not have to deal with the UPS duties!

Yes ,When i went to order i notice that 13% HST was being charged on the Fractal side . Normally we pay that at the door when our package arrives. Just need to make sure that Fractal is indeed taking care of this on they`re end and that were not paying UPS duties when our units arrives as well !

Thanks , Rich

That would be the same as how Carvin handles their orders which would indeed be a good thing. If that's the case then I once again spoke ill of Fractal too fast. I might be able to order that MFC-101 directly without hassle after all. That would indeed be much better than anything else.

I wonder why this wasn't announced anywhere. It would have been a good thing to know and the pre-charged HST and no duties would have made a lot of people really happy :)

yes I paid tax but I came to the conclusion that I won't be when UPS shows up at my door. if they ask for it, I have my receipt that shows I already paid so...I just...won't?

but being in alberta it was only 5%. damn 13% is rough man!

that'll be the day!

I generally avoid UPS at all costs because I have had a lot of bad experiences with them. but I can't NOT buy the axe fx II, that is just idiotic.

yes I paid tax but I came to the conclusion that I won't be when UPS shows up at my door. if they ask for it, I have my receipt that shows I already paid so...I just...won't?

but being in alberta it was only 5%. damn 13% is rough man!

If UPS shows up at your door and want you to pay taxes and brokerage fees, that will be your only option: to actually pay them. Otherwise, they'll keep the package and drive away (presumably to send it back to Fractal). I learned the hard way when I purchased expensive log-house finishing stain from the US, shipped UPS but PREPAID everything - brokerage, shipping costs, taxes, the whole nine yards... but when UPS wanted $273 in fees and taxes when they showed up at my door, the only option was that they would ship it right back to the US. So of course, I gave in and paid, and it took me seven months to recover the money. I did NOT get refunded by UPS, by the way... the store I bought it from decided to swallow the loss to keep a customer happy. I have a lot of respect for that store, and none whatsoever for UPS (who gouged me for taxes in Canada even though those taxes has already been prepaid to UPS by the store in the US).

Just thought I'd let you know that the option to just "not pay UPS" only means that you won't get your package, period.

I am appalled that Fractal chose the shipper with the most horrendous (and justifiably so) reputation...

Last edited:
Yeah I want to avoid that fight with any carrier I have to deal with. Hell, if I picked it up at the border I would have the same issues just lesser cost. Cliff, I see you navigating the forum care to let us know whats up? Damn I am demanding!

Yeah I want to avoid that fight with any carrier I have to deal with. Hell, if I picked it up at the border I would have the same issues just lesser cost. Cliff, I see you navigating the forum care to let us know whats up? Damn I am demanding!

There *are* no issues picking up stuff at the border! I've done it many times (at The Corporate Center, in Ogdensburg), and every time it was entirely pain-free. You pay your fair amount of taxes, and you move on. Fair and square. The only additional costs are the toll to cross the bridge to Ogdensburg ($6 total if I recall) and the nominal parcel handling fee ($6.50, I think). But the shop you buy stuff from has to be cooperative and be willing to ship to such an address.

By the way, if what you buy is NOT made in the USA, the customs guys may charge you the fair price for duties, if applicable. This wouldn't apply to the Axe-FX which is made in the US.

Just thought I'd let you know that the option to just "not pay UPS" only means that you won't get your package, period.

I am appalled that Fractal chose the shipper with the most horrendous (and justifiably so) reputation...

The fact is that it's even worse than that. On top of paying the absurd fees UPS is charging, most of the time, you also have to miss a day of work to get the package because of course, they deliver during your own work hours, but you never know exactly when. With USPS/Canada Post, the package is dropped at the nearby post office if you're not home. Cheaper and less to worry about, what's not to like when you're a customer?

DPoirier : So basically there is no guarantee that things will be handled properly by UPS once they cross the border and even worse they'll most likely force a DOUBLE charge on what was already paid and not bother refunding it without an all out war ? And we all know how jaded and patronizing UPS agents are on the phone...

Well I thought that Fractal had it right this time, it could be even worse .... I'll wait and see before ordering anything then.

There's got to be a way to deal with UPS before they screw things up at the border so we can avoid bad surprises when they arrive.

DPoirier : So basically there is no guarantee that things will be handled properly by UPS once they cross the border and even worse they'll most likely force a DOUBLE charge on what was already paid and not bother refunding it without an all out war ? And we all know how jaded and patronizing UPS agents are on the phone...
Well, I didn't say UPS will screw up... I was just commenting on one poster's intention to simply refuse to pay if UPS screwed up. And I know they can screw up (but will they screw it up for you? nobody knows...)

Well I thought that Fractal had it right this time, it could be even worse .... I'll wait and see before ordering anything then.

There's got to be a way to deal with UPS before they screw things up at the border so we can avoid bad surprises when they arrive.
I think Cliff said he had had huge problems with either UPS or Canada Post (though I've personally never ever had bad luck with either)... I think when it comes to shipping stuff across the border, unless it's small commodity items, you better have a lot in you "good luck" bank account, no matter which shipper is used. That's why I keep saying it's probably a bit safer to have it shipped to one of those shipping places just across the border, and go pick it up yourself (if you're somewhere within driving distance, obviously). The ideal would be for Fractal to have a distributor in Canada, but the market is probably too small for that.

Just read an article in Inc. magazine that referenced this company, which specializes in dealing with all of the hassles that retailers experience in getting their product to other countries. No affiliation or knowledge about how effective they are, but the company interviewed in the Inc. article seemed happy.

Global Ecommerce | FiftyOne Global Ecommerce

Last edited:
I'm eager to hear from those who ordered directly from Fractal to see if UPS has been good to them :)

I'm getting fed up of being told the ignorant and lame "SORRY CONUS ONLY!" excuse with absolutely no good reason as to why they'd rather keep their stuff for sale and have to force a price drop instead of just selling me the damn thing.

Back
Top Bottom