Billboard Awards

200man

Power User
Keep an open mind, listen to the music...an hour later...I couldn’t remember one song. I didn’t hear a song.

It’s all auto-tune, computer generated crap. I wonder how many new supposed “artists” can even play an instrument. With the exception of guys like Gary Clark Jr.

The nominees and who won in each category was literally a joke. Best new artist Bhad Bahbie or whatever the f she is called. Famous for disrespecting her mother on tv. Way to go DildoBoard.

still trying to keep an open mind...but it is getting harder :)

5/20/1958
1- the days of wine and roses...andy williams
2-little stevie wonder/the twelve year old genius...stevie wonder
3-west side story...soundtrack
4-moving...peter,paul and mary
5-trini lopez at pj’s...trini lopez

5/20/1968
1-bookends...simon and garfunkel
2-the graduate...soundtrack
3-the birds, the bees and the monkees...the monkees
4-beat of the brass...herb alpert and the tijuana brass
5-aretha: lady soul...aretha franklin

5/20/1978
1-saturday night fever...soundtrack
2-london town...wings
3-slow hand...eric clapton
4-feels so good...chuck mangione
5-earth...jefferson starship

5/20/1988
1-faith...george michael
2-dirty dancing...soundtrack
3-more dirty dancing...soundtrack
4-bad...michael jackson
5-introducing the hardline...terence trent d’arby

5/20/1998
1-the limited series...garth brooks
2-before these crowded streets...the dave matthews band
3-city of angels...soundtrack
4-sittin’ on top of the world....leamm rimes
5-from the choir girl hotel...soundtrack

5/20/2008
1-home before dark...neil diamond
2-35 biggest hits...toby keith
3-hard candy...madonna
4-on my way here...clay aiken
5-e=mc2...mariah carey

4/20/2018
1-invasion of privacy...cardi b
2-thirty seconds to mars...america
3-my dear melancholy...the weekend
4-the greatest showman...soundtrack
5- ? ...xxxtentacion

First off, we are talking about the Billboard Music awards, correct? Granted, it looks like you are listing the top of the actual charts for every 10 years, and that is an interesting comparison, but... the awards themselves have only been around since 1990. I wouldn't consider it an accurate representation of the quality of current artistic musical expression. And to reference how the charts/awards are determined these days:

"The Billboard Music Awards finalists are based on album and digital songs sales, streaming, radio airplay, touring, and social engagement."

Social Engagement... I get why it's part of the equation, considering that it is unavoidable in todays culture, but I wouldn't use it as a measuring stick for anything. But I guess you could also argue that the charts weren't accurate before SoundScan in the 90's.

I'm trying to keep an open mind too. I was putting together a playlist for when we take breaks at weddings, and thought I would grab something from todays Hot 100. It was an eye opener. I have a lot of new artists in my iTunes library, but I am definitely out of touch with the charts. I used to pay attention more when I worked in a CD store years ago, and still glance at Billboard from time to time.

Back
Top Bottom