Bill Lawrence Q-Filter Emulation

State of Epicicity

Fractal Fanatic
What I'm asking here might not be possible, and if so, my post should probably be migrated to the Guitar subforum. Sorry in advance!

@FractalAudio Is there any way to emulate the Bill Lawrence Q-Filter in the Axe FX III? I've read posts from modders who claim to get tones similar to single coils out of humbuckers without splitting by using this filter. Here's a thread with in-depth discussion.

The third post includes this observation: "This allows you to get neck and acoustic type tones from a bridge pickup, but with more consistent lowend immune to the shifting lower harmonic nodes as you play with the neck pickup."

It's assumed, by me too, that the guitar solo in "When It's Love" by Van Halen is on a Strat neck pickup. It doesn't mean much, if anything at all, but I did always find it interesting that in the music video the famous guitar used has a single bridge humbucker. But after learning about this Q-Filter, I wonder if it's possible he might've had a Q-Filter wired in with a push-pull pot to get that tone out of that bridge pickup using a filter like this. This part might also be something @Andy Eagle might weight in on.

This is totally uneducated conjecture on my part, so don't take any stock in it, and I feel dumb even asking the question. I'm thinking of trying the currently available Q-Filter at some point in the future, but I don't know if any block in the Axe FX III, perhaps even including setting lower Input Impedance values, could start to approach anything like what the Q-Filter does.

Also, if anyone has installed this or the Kent Armstrong filter, it would be awesome to know your take on it. Perceptions I've read of the effect of this circuit are strongly varied.

I was not particularly impressed with it. Yes it does an impression of what it's supposed to do but as far as I recall it is a passive and therefore subtractive control. I would have thought you would get better results from an active eq.

I was not particularly impressed with it. Yes it does an impression of what it's supposed to do but as far as I recall it is a passive and therefore subtractive control. I would have thought you would get better results from an active eq.

Interesting. Thanks for that. Since so much of its effect has to due with its inductance I was wondering if an EQ would be an adequate substitute.

I would not make any assumptions about the gear used for a recording based on what's in a music video ;)

More likely Eddie just used a different guitar in the studio. He had a few :D

Back
Top Bottom