FM9 Big Wreck - Fear & Cowardice guitar solo

Check them out, they're my favorite band. Ian is a monster guitar player, singer, and songwriter, he's got it all!
I think of them as “Canadas best kept secret”.
A few years ago I was lusting after Suhr guitars, and the Suhr site linked to some live recordings with the artists using Suhr gear. There were two songs by a band called “Big Wreck”… That Song, and “I Digress. I listened to them both, and then a couple more times. Then I played them for my wife.
Suhr kept adding two additional songs from that performance every couple of weeks (or every month, I can’t remember). Eventually, I had them all on a YouTube playlist with my name, in the order they were released. That was the awesome 2015 show. Somewhere in there I got Albatross and Ghosts, and then every other album. I’m hoping 7.3 comes out soon. 🤘

I was going to be at NAMM 2016, so of course I was going to take in Suhr’s event and (hopefully) see Big Wreck. I also visited the factory open house, where I met Pete Thorn. He’s every bit as nice as he seems.

Last edited:
Man I'm sucker for Big Wreck, especially their post Ghosts stuff. Great job btw, for perfectly playing this solo. This specific solo, and the House solo for me are the standouts of 7.2. These days few players really can hook me up with their solos. Ian Thornely is definetely one of the best if not the best.

Ian Thornley recently posted a quick video of his rig on Instagram. Saw an axefx3 so I asked him what he uses it for. I honestly think he could nail his tone with an axefx. Just happy he answered haha

Attachments

• 21D7BC5A-FD97-4C39-A268-0427A63F9DA9.jpeg
    21D7BC5A-FD97-4C39-A268-0427A63F9DA9.jpeg
    111 KB · Views: 16
Saw them open with this tune live in NYC the other night. Was epic. I know it’s been difficult for people to get close to Ian’s tone since we don’t have models of the suhr hedgehog or PT100 but I believe he also runs a CA3+ in his rack which is of Suhr nativity haha. Maybe that can get us in the ballpark. I recently started using the Ca3+ factory preset live with some changes and york audio IRs and it’s epic.

Saw them open with this tune live in NYC the other night. Was epic. I know it’s been difficult for people to get close to Ian’s tone since we don’t have models of the suhr hedgehog or PT100 but I believe he also runs a CA3+ in his rack which is of Suhr nativity haha. Maybe that can get us in the ballpark. I recently started using the Ca3+ factory preset live with some changes and york audio IRs and it’s epic.
Awesome! I'm hoping they come back to the West Coast again, it's been since 2019! Was he still using an Axe-Fx II for effects?

Awesome! I'm hoping they come back to the West Coast again, it's been since 2019! Was he still using an Axe-Fx II for effects?
I’m not sure since I couldn’t see his rack on stage. There are pics of his recent pedalboard which is just bunch of pedals and midi controllers. But it def could’ve been in a rack somewhere

Any Big Wreck fans here? Have you listened to the new ep 7.2 yet? My favorite track is “Fear & Cowardice” which has the badass guitar solo from Ian Thornley! I’m transcribing this by ear so I’m not sure if the positions are where Ian plays them, and the fast descending lock towards the end (after the groups of 5) I’m clearly not playing right, but hey this was my 2nd attempt playing this solo at tempo so I’ll clean that up. If you don’t know about Big Wreck, go buy, download etc their entire catalog and spread the word so we can get them touring in the states again! They’re my favorite band and you’ll love them too! Gear was Suhr Modern into FM9 into Suhr 2x12 and playing along with the track itself.

I discovered Big Wreck through friends who played at a club I did sound at for a long time, Clydes in Pointe-Claire, Quebec, unfortunately, it's no longer there, bloody condos. Anyway, my boss tells me that they are going to be playing there soon, this was in 98 or so. OMG, what a band, what a sound, I was fortunate to mix monitors for them. I've seen them several times in and around Montreal when they are here. Ian Thornley is way up there in my books, monster chops, songwriting and TONE !!!

Any Big Wreck fans here? Have you listened to the new ep 7.2 yet? My favorite track is “Fear & Cowardice” which has the badass guitar solo from Ian Thornley! I’m transcribing this by ear so I’m not sure if the positions are where Ian plays them, and the fast descending lock towards the end (after the groups of 5) I’m clearly not playing right, but hey this was my 2nd attempt playing this solo at tempo so I’ll clean that up. If you don’t know about Big Wreck, go buy, download etc their entire catalog and spread the word so we can get them touring in the states again! They’re my favorite band and you’ll love them too! Gear was Suhr Modern into FM9 into Suhr 2x12 and playing along with the track itself.

Killer job. And what's that gadget for resting the guitar on your leg?

Been to Big Wreck gigs for the past 2 decades, all the way back to the first album. Ian is one of the most tasteful guitarists you'll ever hear. He's also super down-to-earth/humble. I have a Suhr PT100 & Hedgehog because of him. They would make great additions to the AxeFX someday. Here's hoping...

Back
Top Bottom