FM9 Big Wreck - Fear & Cowardice guitar solo

He uses a II for all his modulation stuff in his live rig and used to have a II in his writing room for demos which I'd imagine has been replaced by the III in that Instagram vid

Yeah, he’s got a III. I’m pretty sure he talks about it in this Woodshed episode, he digs it quite a bit. There’s also a hilarious EJ story Ian tells in here.

Any Big Wreck fans here? Have you listened to the new ep 7.2 yet? My favorite track is “Fear & Cowardice” which has the badass guitar solo from Ian Thornley! I’m transcribing this by ear so I’m not sure if the positions are where Ian plays them, and the fast descending lock towards the end (after the groups of 5) I’m clearly not playing right, but hey this was my 2nd attempt playing this solo at tempo so I’ll clean that up. If you don’t know about Big Wreck, go buy, download etc their entire catalog and spread the word so we can get them touring in the states again! They’re my favorite band and you’ll love them too! Gear was Suhr Modern into FM9 into Suhr 2x12 and playing along with the track itself.

Man I’ve been listening to the song Spit it Out on repeat. Fear and cowardice is great too. Have you tried the solo from spit it out? I love his tone on it too. He uses a suhr PT right? I wonder if we can manipulate one of the amps in the fractal to imitate the suhr pt

Man I’ve been listening to the song Spit it Out on repeat. Fear and cowardice is great too. Have you tried the solo from spit it out? I love his tone on it too. He uses a suhr PT right? I wonder if we can manipulate one of the amps in the fractal to imitate the suhr pt
I haven't tried any other of the new stuff, this one really caught my ear and I had to figure it out. I'm not sure what he used on the last recording, on "...but for the sun" I think he was using a Hedgehog which I'd love to have modeled in the Fractal!

@jaycal6 If you read the text associated with Ian Thornley's Instagram post you can see that he is using he Axe-FX III for that clip. I've seen him talk about it in an interview with Andy Wood saying that he uses the Axe for practice and for making demo tracks. In the studio he still uses a bunch of amps including the Suhr Hedgehog.

Any Big Wreck fans here? Have you listened to the new ep 7.2 yet? My favorite track is “Fear & Cowardice” which has the badass guitar solo from Ian Thornley! I’m transcribing this by ear so I’m not sure if the positions are where Ian plays them, and the fast descending lock towards the end (after the groups of 5) I’m clearly not playing right, but hey this was my 2nd attempt playing this solo at tempo so I’ll clean that up. If you don’t know about Big Wreck, go buy, download etc their entire catalog and spread the word so we can get them touring in the states again! They’re my favorite band and you’ll love them too! Gear was Suhr Modern into FM9 into Suhr 2x12 and playing along with the track itself.

Well done! My fave band too. I listened to 7.2 nonstop on a recent flight to Europe.

Pretty much a super fan here. I saw him play at the 2016 Suhr event, and before Covid shutdown in S.F., saw the whole band play.
I hope they return this winter.

is the song in Drop C#? (or as some of my band mates used to say... Drop D but in Eb lmao)

Back
Top Bottom