FM9 Big Wreck - Fear & Cowardice guitar solo

MattBowman

FAS Social Media Advocate
Any Big Wreck fans here? Have you listened to the new ep 7.2 yet? My favorite track is “Fear & Cowardice” which has the badass guitar solo from Ian Thornley! I’m transcribing this by ear so I’m not sure if the positions are where Ian plays them, and the fast descending lock towards the end (after the groups of 5) I’m clearly not playing right, but hey this was my 2nd attempt playing this solo at tempo so I’ll clean that up. If you don’t know about Big Wreck, go buy, download etc their entire catalog and spread the word so we can get them touring in the states again! They’re my favorite band and you’ll love them too! Gear was Suhr Modern into FM9 into Suhr 2x12 and playing along with the track itself.

Any Big Wreck fans here? Have you listened to the new ep 7.2 yet? My favorite track is “Fear & Cowardice” which has the badass guitar solo from Ian Thornley! I’m transcribing this by ear so I’m not sure if the positions are where Ian plays them, and the fast descending lock towards the end (after the groups of 5) I’m clearly not playing right, but hey this was my 2nd attempt playing this solo at tempo so I’ll clean that up. If you don’t know about Big Wreck, go buy, download etc their entire catalog and spread the word so we can get them touring in the states again! They’re my favorite band and you’ll love them too! Gear was Suhr Modern into FM9 into Suhr 2x12 and playing along with the track itself.

Cool stuff! I love the new 7.2!!!

Cool stuff! I love the new 7.2!!!

jesus. That's just kick ass

I'm a fan. They're a great band and this is a ripping track. Well done!

Great stuff, been learning this myself and you're way further on than me
Always lots of cool stuff to learn in Thornleys solos

Thanks for watching everyone! And for anyone that isn't familiar with Ian and Big Wreck, check them out!

That sounds good. I think this should pretty much be right for positions:

Code:
https://i.imgur.com/Ghl4h9G.png

The first pinch harmonic is kind of suspicious. I'm not entirely sure that note isn't a tap on the 1st string with something, like his ring or a slide grabbed quickly.

That sounds good. I think this should pretty much be right for positions:

Code:
https://i.imgur.com/Ghl4h9G.png

The first pinch harmonic is kind of suspicious. I'm not entirely sure that note isn't a tap on the 1st string with something, like his ring or a slide grabbed quickly.
Thanks Bakerman, clearly not all in on the fast descending line after the groups of 5 yet, want to take a stab at that one haha?

Great playing! Like I said on the post in the lounge, he is the complete package. No one in rock n roll today matches him for songwriting, singing, riffing and playing in total. Incredible.

As for that song, as much as I love the solo, it is the riff of that song that is so killer!!

Great playing! Like I said on the post in the lounge, he is the complete package. No one in rock n roll today matches him for songwriting, singing, riffing and playing in total. Incredible.

As for that song, as much as I love the solo, it is the riff of that song that is so killer!!
Thank you! And I agree, he has it all!

if Ian started using Fractal regularly I'd freak out

He uses a II for all his modulation stuff in his live rig and used to have a II in his writing room for demos which I'd imagine has been replaced by the III in that Instagram vid

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom