Wish BIG FONT for BANK targeting with INC DEC (for Setlists and Presets too)

BobXX

Inspired
In live performances, when I select the bank to be targeted (no preset auto-load),
it is really very important that information currently shown in little (see photo) will be very visible instead,
(e.g. more than 10mm high Font, 15mm 20mm...), at least of only Bank No. where I am pointing to.

So we can press INCrement and DECrement to target the right bank, comfortably, while playing,
with a highly visible visual feedback (e.g. superimposed in the display or even cleaning it for a while)
and correct it until we are sure to point the right bank, than safely choose the desired preset in it.

The philosophy is the same as the recent "Big Font" option,
but as a feedback of all the main actions the performer takes while playing live,
(Banks-Presets, Setlists-Song, Presets-Scene, even pedals' bars when moved...)
temporarily for 1 second or 2, just to increase player's comfort and concentration.

My best workaround at the moment is to use a super lens on the LCD display that you can see in the image,
it'a a little ridicolous :tearsofjoy: I know, and still not enough... it's too high and in the way of pressing the button,
so I needed to add a cover on top of the button to raise it a little... :rolleyes:

super lens.jpg

super lens 2.jpg

Last edited:
Is it possible to get the "targeting bank no." info via MIDI ?

So I could develop an additional Display (a 11th one...) to show that information in big fonts.

Is the bank information exposed? Banks in this context are only relevant to FM/FC footswitches so I'd be surprised if that was available via midi.
Hey there. Its DIY everything is possible. There is very little limitation with this libriary
Use a teensy for the best communication speed results

That's not really true.

The ability to in some way query the bank size would be needed.

Of course, you could hardcore a value into your custom code but that's not what I was asking.
Hey there @unix-guy
Specify your opinion on a banksize.
For me is bank 0=0-9, 1=10-19 etc, but on the fractal a bank is A=0-127 B=128-255 etc.

Either way, with the selected preset you can calculate the bank and plot this on the screen. floor() the presetnumber and there is your banknumber.. but then again, I dont know what your opinion on a bank is.

But now the wish is derailed allready. Maby a bigger font as requested would be best 😅

I just love the DIY stuff.. gives options to service yourselve

Cheers 🍻

In live performances, when I select the bank to be targeted (no preset auto-load),
I really need that the information currently shown in little in last row of the big display (see photo) will be very visible instead,
with big Font
(e.g. more than 10mm high, 15mm 20mm...), at least of only Bank No. where I am pointing to.

So I can press INCrement and DECrement to target the right bank, comfortably, while playing,
see the bank info (e.g. superimposed in the display or even cleaning it for a while),
and when I am sure to point the right one I can safely choose the preset of that bank.

The philosophy is the same as the recent "Big Font" option,
but as a feedback of all the main actions the performer takes while playing live,
(Banks-Presets, Setlists-Song, Presets-Scene, even pedals' bars when moved...)
temporarily for 1 second or 2, just to increase player's comfort and concentration.

My best workaround at the moment is to use a super lens on the LCD display that you can see in the image,
it'a a little ridicolous :tearsofjoy: I know, and still not enough... it's too high and in the way of pressing the button,
so I needed to add a cover on top of the button to raise it a little... :rolleyes:

Hey BobXX, there are two answers here.

1. The Fractal midi protocol is only partly public. Basic commands work nicely, but the MIDI SYSEX required to do more fancy stuff like get the bank number are not available. So no, you probably can't query the device to ask for the current bank.

2. What you CAN do is be notified every time the preset changes, and use the preset number to calculate your own definition of a bank. As noted above, a 'user bank' might be 0-9, 1-10, not the fractal idea of 0-512 etc.

So you could have a device with a screen that:
  • listens for preset changes
  • figures out the 'bank' based on the preset number (eg preset 27 would give you bank 3, 20-29)
  • load all the preset names from that bank
  • have an up down that selects banks, and when you are ready, a button to change the preset

So in short, no, we can't really ask the fractal about what bank it's on, but we CAN ask what preset it's on, and build a 'meta-bank' tool on top of that.

Hey BobXX, there are two answers here.

1. The Fractal midi protocol is only partly public. Basic commands work nicely, but the MIDI SYSEX required to do more fancy stuff like get the bank number are not available. So no, you probably can't query the device to ask for the current bank.

2. What you CAN do is be notified every time the preset changes, and use the preset number to calculate your own definition of a bank. As noted above, a 'user bank' might be 0-9, 1-10, not the fractal idea of 0-512 etc.

So in short, no, we can't really ask the fractal about what bank it's on, but we CAN ask what preset it's on, and build a 'meta-bank' tool on top of that.

Thank Tysonlt for the answer. Unfortunately I think we didn't find the solution.

What I'm asking is to know (and show in BIG) the bank I am pointing before choosing the new desired preset of that bank.

In other words, if I'm currently in the BANK 0 - Preset 5 and I need to go to BANK 2 - Preset 1:
I need to press bank INCrement twice
(with a BIG fonts feedback of the bank I'm pointing bank 0 => bank 1 => bank 2 to and correct it with DEC/INC until I see bank 2)
and then press 1 to choose the final Preset wanted.

Until this, no preset changes will be done and consequently there's no MIDI activity too.

On the contrary I'm pretty sure these information can be available through the Fasklink connector.
If I connect an FC6x board I can choose to send bank no. to a LCD display, so data is passed somehow...
I could do a reverse engineering job and build a device that emulates an FC6 behaviour... :D but I think a FAS approval is required before.

In the meantime I will use lens and telescopes... maybe FAS is already working on it, it seems easy, who knows !

Last edited:
Thank Tysonlt for the answer. Unfortunately I think we didn't find the solution.

What I'm asking is to know (and show in BIG) the bank I am pointing before choosing the new desired preset of that bank.

In other words, if I'm currently in the BANK 0 - Preset 5 and I need to go to BANK 2 - Preset 1:
I need to press bank INCrement twice
(with a BIG fonts feedback of the bank I'm pointing bank 0 => bank 1 => bank 2 to and correct it with DEC/INC until I see bank 2)
and then press 1 to choose the final Preset wanted.

Until this, no preset changes will be done and consequently there's no MIDI activity too.
✋️ its possible man.. I think you want to navigate to a presetNumber? Yes you can! Just tap on a number and go! My peddleboard has an option to jump to any preset and show all the presets in that bank without selecting anything.. you can do the same and show whatever as big as you like in every font or color of your choice.

Forget FASlink, you will never get that working. You can however get power from FASlink for your peddleboard and connect rx/tx for midi. If your interested, I can DM some info.

Also, maby FracPad from user @AlGrenadine is something to look into. Works on Android, IOS and windows and I think it can do what you need. Its like AxeEdit for mobile devices. Connect with USB super easy.

Cheers 🍻

✋️ its possible man.. I think you want to navigate to a presetNumber? Yes you can! Just tap on a number and go! My peddleboard has an option to jump to any preset and show all the presets in that bank without selecting anything.. you can do the same and show whatever as big as you like in every font or color of your choice.

Yes, I know it can be done with an external pedalboard, I'm already doing it with a couple of footcontroller system I've built,
that I use tipically with AXE FX III:

2024-05-02_20h54_59.png
(Notice that they are already arranged with 10 buttons per bank :D)

like I've done here, adding 0 and 9 button in the upper right side:

2024-05-02_21h04_10.png

In the all-in-one rig with FM9, I just need to see that bank number... (already shown) but BIGGER ! :) :

2024-05-02_20h58_37.png

Last edited:
You would need to create a new device that has a screen. It would know the current preset and figure out the bank, no need to talk to the device. As described above, bank up/down on this device would simply load preset names, and then only load when you press a button. Nothing would happen or chance on the fractal until then, you’re basically replicating the bank feature.

I font change in firmware would be much easier, but a DIY is more fun!

Back
Top Bottom