Big dummy when it comes to IR's looking for info

Aeser

Inspired
So (I think) I get that IR's are the modeling of the cab, mic that's on the cab, there that mic is in relation to the speakers in the cab, and the room that cab is in. Beyond that I don't totally get the difference between different types of IR's like legacy and dyna-cab and only jut discovered i even HAD dyna-cab's and started playing with them. I can't totally decide if i think they sound better, in ways i do, in other ways i don't, and obviously there's WAY more legacy cabs than dyna-cab's, and with the legacy cab's though it's one "IR" per mic so you have a ton of IR's for the same cab just with different mic's on each one be it a 57 or royer 121 or 160 or sm7 or whatever dynamic, ribbon, or condenser mic, with the dyna-cab's you appear to only be able to choose the TYPE of mic be it "dynamic 1", "dynamic 2", "ribbon", or "condenser"? which wile nice sounding nd it's awesome being able to drag the mic's around to wherever you want them in relation to the speaker (within a short range in front of the speaker of course, can't really do like a room sound with it). Even within legacy cab's aren't there different types like normal, hi res, ultra res, full res, and dyna-cab? I know "google it" like with everything so no one has to ever explain anything and there's no point to a forum, but if anyone could be so kind as to explain to me the difference/advantages to each of these and which one I might want to use and why that would be incredibly appreciated! Thank you!

Have you searched the forum and Fractal wiki (not google as I agree this is not the best)? There has been so much discussion and info posted here re legacy vs Dynacab recently that it seems almost insane to get into it in yet another thread.

It's simply because of the several iterations of cab modelling and IRs since the AXE FX 1 days.

The latest and greatest is Dyna-Cab, which is what I use almost exclusively now unless I can't get the right cab (e,g, JC-120). The UI makes it so much easier to get the right sound, I never like scrolling through hundreds of cabs.

Fullres is the odd one out as it's primary purpose is to capture the "amp in the room" sound and to be mixed in with a dry close mic. Great for headphone usage.

Reading cab wiki as Sprint said above would be beneficial.

So (I think) I get that IR's are the modeling of the cab, mic that's on the cab, there that mic is in relation to the speakers in the cab, and the room that cab is in. Beyond that I don't totally get the difference between different types of IR's like legacy and dyna-cab and only jut discovered i even HAD dyna-cab's and started playing with them. I can't totally decide if i think they sound better, in ways i do, in other ways i don't, and obviously there's WAY more legacy cabs than dyna-cab's, and with the legacy cab's though it's one "IR" per mic so you have a ton of IR's for the same cab just with different mic's on each one be it a 57 or royer 121 or 160 or sm7 or whatever dynamic, ribbon, or condenser mic, with the dyna-cab's you appear to only be able to choose the TYPE of mic be it "dynamic 1", "dynamic 2", "ribbon", or "condenser"? which wile nice sounding nd it's awesome being able to drag the mic's around to wherever you want them in relation to the speaker (within a short range in front of the speaker of course, can't really do like a room sound with it). Even within legacy cab's aren't there different types like normal, hi res, ultra res, full res, and dyna-cab? I know "google it" like with everything so no one has to ever explain anything and there's no point to a forum, but if anyone could be so kind as to explain to me the difference/advantages to each of these and which one I might want to use and why that would be incredibly appreciated! Thank you!

With dyna cabs you can not only choose the mic, but you can move the mic where you want it.

The best way to experience and gain knowledge regarding impulse responses or the cab blocks in the axe fx is by listening to them. Set yourself a cabinet test preset with a looper at the beginning of your chain and record a riff or chord change to listen to, let it play.

Then open up the Cab block, choose Picker, use the pin in the top right-hand corner of the page to keep it opened, and click on the various legacy cabinets to audition the numerous IR's that are included. When using Dyna Cabs, do the same thing, then fine-tune your microphone placement to where it pleases you.

Pick and label your favourite legacy cabinets by right-clicking on your cabs of choice and assign a colour to them for higher visibility. This will require a bit of time but it will be well worth the effort.

Generally we don’t want the room captured as FullRes does, though sometimes it’s useful, especially when using headphones. The problem with longer IRs is that room reflections can cause phase cancellation or artificially reinforce frequencies, but in a good room the ambience opens the sound, kind of like we’d hear with the cab in a gymnasium or arena. Again, that’s nice with headphones but because it’s baked in it’s not good for live use because it’s information that fights with the real room’s sound, cluttering the mix.

On the surface it might appear that there are more factory Legacy cabs than Dyna-Cabs, but I don’t think that’s necessarily true. I think the interface hides how many IRs are actually associated with each cabinet and its mic combinations and their positions. Over time I expect we’ll see additional factory Dyna-Cabs added, and maybe some third-party offerings added to them, similar to the current factory Legacy cabs.

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Impulse_responses_(IR) is a good starting point to learn more about what we can do with them in the modeler.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impulse_response talks about the background and various uses of IRs, which is useful to know, and provides some links to jump to more information.

With dyna cabs you can not only choose the mic, but you can move the mic where you want it.

Wel i mean you can chose the type of mic, between 4 mic's. which does still sound cool and don't get me wrong compared to before is a ridicuous amount of options, but compared to the legacy ones with one IR for each mic and tons and tons of IR's/mic's for one cab it does in one way feel more limiting, on the other hand that many options did feel a bit too limitLESS. but i'm digging them so far. but still do like some legacy ones too, it's weird theres's things i like better and worse about both.

Generally we don’t want the room captured as FullRes does, though sometimes it’s useful, especially when using headphones. The problem with longer IRs is that room reflections can cause phase cancellation or artificially reinforce frequencies, but in a good room the ambience opens the sound, kind of like we’d hear with the cab in a gymnasium or arena. Again, that’s nice with headphones but because it’s baked in it’s not good for live use because it’s information that fights with the real room’s sound, cluttering the mix.

On the surface it might appear that there are more factory Legacy cabs than Dyna-Cabs, but I don’t think that’s necessarily true. I think the interface hides how many IRs are actually associated with each cabinet and its mic combinations and their positions. Over time I expect we’ll see additional factory Dyna-Cabs added, and maybe some third-party offerings added to them, similar to the current factory Legacy cabs.

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Impulse_responses_(IR) is a good starting point to learn more about what we can do with them in the modeler.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impulse_response talks about the background and various uses of IRs, which is useful to know, and provides some links to jump to more information.

oh yea i'd be VERY surprised if there weren't way more and more dyna-cabs over time, this is just early days with it, it's just weird to me to go from what appears to be like thousands of options to like 24. also makes it way easier to pick one too though.

Dyna-cabs are a fractal-only thing right? like no one makes third party dyna-cabs you can download and or buy right?

Dyna-cabs are a fractal-only thing right? like no one makes third party dyna-cabs you can download and or buy right?
Correct.

The GUI is similar to other companies' way of using IRs, but the files and how they are encoded is proprietary; To create a Dyna-Cab Fractal's software has to be used, but they've made access to the necessary parts available to those who want to create the IRs.

Cliff made a comment a while back that the process is slow. I'm sure we'll see third-parties creating them, it just takes time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom