Better synth tracking?

Ledvedder

Inspired
I have a synth block tracking the input. Voice 1 is not tracking and just playing an A at 440hz. Voice 2 is tracking at standard pitch, and voice 3 is tracking an octave up. Sometimes, when playing notes, the tracking jumps up and down between voices 2 and 3. All voices are using the sawtooth mode. Any tips for strengthening the tracking.

Here is my preset, https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=10294

I have a synth block tracking the input. Voice 1 is not tracking and just playing an A at 440hz. Voice 2 is tracking at standard pitch, and voice 3 is tracking an octave up. Sometimes, when playing notes, the tracking jumps up and down between voices 2 and 3. All voices are using the sawtooth mode. Any tips for strengthening the tracking.

Here is my preset, https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=10294
I don't use the synth block because it has too many issues with tracking and it is monophonic.

You can get in convincing polyphonic synth territory without the tracking issues using a dual or quad chromatic pitch block (set with whatever intervals you want) and following it by blending in some formant, resonator and ringmod (usually in parallel depending on what you are going for).

I modified your preset with a quick and dirty stab at it. The reso and the ringmod blocks could still use some work and you may want to balance the levels. Also I didn't hook up the detunes in the pitch block to the LFO but doing that would get closer to what you had going on in your synth block. I threw in a flanger at the end and ran out of space for a PEQ - but one of those is still a good idea to tame the high and low end in the "synth row".

Sorry I don't have time to make it perfect but it shouldn't be too bad to tweak it and get what you need. At least it will avoid the issues with the synth block. You can play chords too!

Attachments

• NoSynthBlock.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 3
I don't use the synth block because it has too many issues with tracking and it is monophonic.

You can get in convincing polyphonic synth territory without the tracking issues using a dual or quad chromatic pitch block (set with whatever intervals you want) and following it by blending in some formant, resonator and ringmod (usually in parallel depending on what you are going for).

I modified your preset with a quick and dirty stab at it. The reso and the ringmod blocks could still use some work and you may want to balance the levels. Also I didn't hook up the detunes in the pitch block to the LFO but doing that would get closer to what you had going on in your synth block. I threw in a flanger at the end and ran out of space for a PEQ - but one of those is still a good idea to tame the high and low end in the "synth row".

Sorry I don't have time to make it perfect but it shouldn't be too bad to tweak it and get what you need. At least it will avoid the issues with the synth block. You can play chords too!
Thanks! I'll check it out when I get a chance.

to help with tracking, use a compressor and/or a drive block in front of the synth block. the drive it good, because it increases sustain,, compresses the signal a bit and you can filter out some of the low end which can cause false triggers

to help with tracking, use a compressor and/or a drive block in front of the synth block. the drive it good, because it increases sustain,, compresses the signal a bit and you can filter out some of the low end which can cause false triggers
I know you’re well known for your awesome Axe Fx synth blocks/presets but any chance you can make some solid ones for the FM9 only folks?

people are always asking me for presets for the FM3 and FM9, but i don't own either of them. i'm not sure that i can reliably make presets on the III (even staying within the limits of both units) that will reliably translate and whether they need converting, or will just run when loaded. if someone knows (maybe @fremen ?)

I took another 15 mins to tweak hooked up LFO on detunes and punted flanger for LFO on Formant control instead. It's still not there but getting closer. Sliding between notes to emulate glide on a synth sounds pretty sweet.

Scene 1 has more limited LFO range on formant, Scene 2 has full LFO on formant.

Edit: Oops forgot to reset expression to external 1. But fixed now.

Attachments

• NoSynthBlock-v2.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
@simeon's suggestions are great. If you don't have the CPU for any extra blocks, using the neck pickup usually tracks better for me. If I use the bridge and let the note sustain, at some point, the synth goes up an octave. This happens way less using the neck pickup.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom