better FOH sound?

yea, i also like a challenge...i think the pa. was under powered..i only saw 1 power amp and it looked small.....kinda pissed me off though cause everybody was like > dude you sold a roadster for that ?...i told them i was bringing my cab and power amp next time cause the pa was a pos.

Not to beat a dead horse here, but ... is there a sonic difference between using the output 1 XLR for a balanced out to the FOH system and a good quality direct box off the output 2 unbalanced?

I am using XLRs for my stage monitors, and would rather give the FOH its own output with a separate controllable level.

Or I could go with the unbalanced into my own monitors, I suppose.

rp911 said:
Not to beat a dead horse here, but ... is there a sonic difference between using the output 1 XLR for a balanced out to the FOH system and a good quality direct box off the output 2 unbalanced?

I am using XLRs for my stage monitors, and would rather give the FOH its own output with a separate controllable level.

Probably, not a lot. but it is more things to go wrong.

Another problem may have been that they were EQ'ing the channel(s) that you were plugged into on the mixer. Maybe they had the highs boosted and the lows cut, or something?

rp911 said:

Generally, the distance to FOH will be greater. Therefore, generally again, you want to use Output 1 balanced to FOH. And output 2 unbalanced is plenty good enough to reach your on-stage monitors. But ultimately, whatever works for you. The Axe-FX is highly flexible, and as you probably noticed, there are many ways people use it.

Continuing to beat the dead horse ...

I still feel the OP's main issue is with clipping the board's input. I have had several patches that sound great through my 2x12 and then I go to record through output 1 and I have to adjust my volume levels to rid the patch of the nastiness. I try not to touch my output 1 dial out of habit, so I usually dial down the level in the amp block. It won't affect the tone of the amp.

The PA isn't great, but you should be able to get something acceptable with EQing.

Just my $.02. YMMV.

Ventanaman said:
so I usually dial down the level in the amp block. It won't affect the tone of the amp.

Something I recently became aware of however, is it COULD change your overall tone IF you are using the Drive parameter in any downstream blocks, like in the cab or delay blocks.

quonsar said:
Ventanaman said:
so I usually dial down the level in the amp block. It won't affect the tone of the amp.

Something I recently became aware of however, is it COULD change your overall tone IF you are using the Drive parameter in any downstream blocks, like in the cab or delay blocks.

That is why I use the output mixer volume to adjust mine.

javajunkie said:
quonsar said:
Ventanaman said:

That is why I use the output mixer volume to adjust mine.

+1

quonsar said:
Ventanaman said:

Good point ... I don't use any drive parameters downstream, so I have not had an issue with this. I agree, the patch master volume works well to eliminate PA or interface input clipping.

javajunkie said:
rp911 said:

One advantage to this approach, if you use something like a JDI direct box with transformer isolation, is that you have complete electrical isolation between the AxeFX and FOH and therefore no ground loops. I've been able to plug the AxeFX directly into the FOH where I typically play using the balanced outputs and not get hum, but I've not been so fortunate with other equipment. If I play in another venue with different electrical wiring, I could easily have trouble with my AxeFX. The JDI can accept signals from either Output 1 or 2 on the AxeFX, so you could choose either/or for your stage FRFR monitor. The JDI also pads down your signal.

Terry.

Tone Seeker said:
javajunkie said:
rp911 said:

One advantage to this approach, if you use something like a JDI direct box with transformer isolation, is that you have complete electrical isolation between the AxeFX and FOH and therefore no ground loops. I've been able to plug the AxeFX directly into the FOH where I typically play using the balanced outputs and not get hum, but I've not been so fortunate with other equipment. If I play in another venue with different electrical wiring, I could easily have trouble with my AxeFX. The JDI can accept signals from either Output 1 or 2 on the AxeFX, so you could choose either/or for your stage FRFR monitor. The JDI also pads down your signal.

Terry.

true.

Back
Top Bottom