Best way to set up a Lead Boost for Solos?

Live at show with band. At home, it sounded VERY loud at 2db, so I cut to 1db. Sound guy had to actually bring me down during leads. That said, it could have also been the venue. VERY small and acoustics weren’t great so maybe cutting through with a better EQ curve worked “too” well.

I got my momentary foot switch working. I like how you can adjust the volume curve so the boost isn't abrupt. I set the start for 80%, the midpoint for 81.5% and the end for 83%, so the switch functions more like a fader.

Live at show with band. At home, it sounded VERY loud at 2db, so I cut to 1db. Sound guy had to actually bring me down during leads. That said, it could have also been the venue. VERY small and acoustics weren’t great so maybe cutting through with a better EQ curve worked “too” well.

I wonder, and I will check when I get home, I might have boosted the scene with the DRIVE block as well, hence the crazy volume spike.

After trying the Filter as the main approach as described, for a hard rock tone it changes my tone for worse way too much even the boosted level on the lower end like 1.5 ish. I ended up opting for a different amp in the Y of the X/Y option so I can get zero change in tone except for more gain and better overall lead tone.

I still need to experiment with reducing the bass and boosting the mids a bit for better cut

filter block near the end of your chain
Type = Null
Level = 4 to 6 dB

turn it on for a boost. consider reducing some low end in the block so it doesn't get boosted (clarity).
The best way are filter block to up the volume to stage solo?

After trying the Filter as the main approach as described, for a hard rock tone it changes my tone for worse way too much even the boosted level on the lower end like 1.5 ish. I ended up opting for a different amp in the Y of the X/Y option so I can get zero change in tone except for more gain and better overall lead tone.

I still need to experiment with reducing the bass and boosting the mids a bit for better cut
a Filter block with the Type set to Null will not change tone at all. show us your preset and Filter settings or upload the preset.

in the Filter block, you can reduce the bass.

The best way are filter block to up the volume to stage solo?

the best. sometimes.

Use a "null" filter block with 2-3db, or bump up the scene output volume. The new boost styles added to the Axe III looks really cool

@chris I'm at work,..........will load it later.
When you say 'reduce the bass' to be more specific is that done with the 'hi cut filter' in the Filter block or how exactly are you reducing the bass because there is no bass feature in the block.

Maybe you can post a screen shot for everyone to see?

@cragginshred 'Hi-Cut' would.......... cut the 'Highs'...;):D

Try the 'Low-Cut'. Around 125 Hz or higher, to taste.

And make sure that the 'Filter' block is after the Amp block, or you will be just mostly increasing the 'Dirt', not the volume.

Last edited:
@chris I'm at work,..........will load it later.
When you say 'reduce the bass' to be more specific is that done with the 'hi cut filter' in the Filter block or how exactly are you reducing the bass because there is no bass feature in the block.
Bass is low, not high. Use Low-Cut. Cut it and listen to the result.

My solo boost is a Filter block, not with NULL, but with PEAKING. Gain is +6db for a fat Mids boost centered on 770Hz with Q about 0.3.

Use this when you want to DOMINATE the mix.

I learned that 770 Hz from Yek, but still use a Null filter boost. I turned the PEQ down for the added volume, that way I can use FILTER 1 global block 1 as a global boost, if I'm playing for different FOH guys that mix guitars lower or higher in the mix. I just edit the FILTER 1 null gain and all my gig presets have that boost. My distorted leads always have that PEQ + FILTER boost.

Check out the factory AX8 preset, Sweet Child, with humbuckers. It has a 849 Hz peaking PEQ; Q .659; gain 2 dB; block level 1.5 dB. Mid boosts work, and FOH engineers know this. You're basically taking the spot where the vocals sit in the mix.

Last edited:
EQ block flat on expression pedal, min 0db e max 5 db, you should set min volume so that it is equal to its normal volume, as if there was no EQ block.
this way you can have an extra volume when you want, in any scene and there is no risk of zeroing the volume as sometimes happens with volume pedal block
plus I set 3 db on lead scene

@cragginshred 'Hi-Cut' would.......... cut the 'Highs'...;):D

Try the 'Low-Cut'. Around 125 Hz or higher, to taste.

And make sure that the 'Filter' block is after the Amp block, or you will be just mostly increasing the 'Dirt', not the volume.

Hi Moke.
So the Filter block after the amp and before the cab, not at the end of the chain like most people?

Hi Moke.
So the Filter block after the amp and before the cab, not at the end of the chain like most people?
I think he means just somewhere after the amp, as putting it before would be an amp gain boost, and not a post-amp boost. It can go at the end of the chain. Before the cab shouldn’t make much if any difference. But experiment and see what you like.

Im finding 3db not enough for majority of my boost needs in FOH setup.

I need to go to 4 or even 5db maybe.

Back
Top Bottom