Best way to record guitar from axe fx and vocals from a mic at the same time?

Frqd92

Hey guys, I want to record electric guitar straight from the axe fx 3 and vocals from a mic (two separate channels) at the same time. I reckon I need a 2 channel interface like the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 right? There's also cheaper alternatives like the Behringer UMC202HD.. I'm just looking to record some simple bedroom covers so will a more expensive one make that much of a difference?
Thanks

Some folks here have had success plugging a mic straight into the fractal and recording but it lacks a mic pre so…….you’ll probably be better served with a dedicated interface. Even a cheap one. If you’re completely new to recording don’t spend too much. A better interface will have more bells and whistles and ultimately sound better but you’ll get by just fine with that Behringer for now, too.

Hey guys, I want to record electric guitar straight from the axe fx 3 and vocals from a mic (two separate channels) at the same time. I reckon I need a 2 channel interface like the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 right? There's also cheaper alternatives like the Behringer UMC202HD.. I'm just looking to record some simple bedroom covers so will a more expensive one make that much of a difference?
Thanks
Yes, focusrite works great for this use. Axe to input 1, mic to input 2, 2 separate tracks in the daw and go.

Thanks

DAWs/Recording is probably the best place for specific questions, but you've got the bones of it.

Yes, a nicer interface will make a difference....no, you're not likely to notice as a beginner. And, IMHO, you probably don't really know what you need. I don't think it's worth over-spending on your first interface. Also, I just had a use for my old 2i2 gen1 the other day.

You do need to keep in mind that if your guitar sounds are stereo, you need 2 channels for the guitar, so a 2i2 wouldn't let you record stereo guitar and voice at the same time.

Depends on your setup - but ive got a mixer going stereo out going into a 2-channel audio interace. my mixer takes in all my instruments and outputs it all to the interface. works great! problem you might come to is recording guitar and vocals should probably done separately (not at the same time) because sound will bleed into the recording from your mic/guitar vice versa.

It's nice to have more than two mic/line/inst connection in your audio interface.

Axe FX take 2 of those connection and Mic takes one (if you have only two then Axe FX have only one which is not so nice when you need stereo type effects etc.).

Below two of these kind you can check:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/focusrite_scarlett_18i8_3rd_gen.htm
https://www.thomann.de/gb/presonus_studio_68c.htm

I have Presonus Studio 1810 model and it's very good audio interface and Scarlett also is good.
There is good amount choices you have so check also others and buy one you need and what is best for you.

There is some points to consider:

1. If you have separate audio interface with computer then Axe don't need to take care those processes and
have more power to run Axes own presets.
2. Separate audio interface also have connection to mics (also phantom powers etc.)
3. If you have audio interface with enough Mic/Line/Inst connections then you can connect Axe using Output 1 connected
L and R (stereo).

Those reasons are good to consider when thinking if connecting external mics to Axe FX or is that better to have proper audio interface.

AxeFX III is itself an interface. For basic home recording you don't really need a dedicated interface unless you want more features like not needing the axefx powered on to use your headphones/monitors, a software mixer, more mic preamps, etc.

Personally I like having a dedicated interface since my Fractal unit is not always connected and I like having more control over my routing and monitoring via a dedicated software mixer, for example I have a dedicated fader in my interface's control software for my DAW's metronome, faders for each input on my interface, etc.

In your situation I would start by getting a hardware mic preamp and connecting its balanced output to one of the axefx's balanced inputs. Doesn't have to be anything fancy, something for a few hundred bucks like a Useful Arts Hornet will give you a lot of flexibility to dial in "color" i.e. harmonic distortion that you won't get from clinical interface mic preamps if you ever get a dedicated interface down the road.

Your other option is to get an interface. Even something like the Scarlett 8i6 will give you a software mixer, lower impedance headphone amps, better monitoring flexibility and routing, and a lot of I/O, including SPDIF so you can record and reamp the axefx in stereo with identical quality to USB. The Scarlett mic pres aren't going to measure up to high end stuff but the air mode is nice if you want a little character on the mic (high boost and some harmonic distortion).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom