Best way to hookup AXE FX/FCB UNO/AXE Edit w/ Midisport 2X2

Lkdog

Power User
As stated I have the above setup. I have the FCB1010 UNO board and MIDISPORT 2X2 Ann USB unit.
AXE FX ultra. AXE EDIT most recent version.
WIN XP SP3.

I have read through the stickied FCB thread and am still a little unclear.

Presently I have:

FCB OUT/Thru to> AXE FX IN
AXE FX OUT to> MIDISPORT A IN
MIDISPORT B Out to> FCB IN

The above seems to be the only way I can get AXE Edit to work to show and switch presets.
If I use MIDISPORT A OUT to FCB then AXE EDIT does not respond at all-even though I can make changes on the AXE FX via the FCB 1010.

I have Midi Merge checked in the Ripwerx file I made for the FCB 1010.
I have the USB/Merge button pushed in on the MIDISPORT 2X2 unit.

I can control the Axe FX via the FCB1010, but when I change presets their is no change reflected onscreen in AXE EDIT.
I can change presets in AXE FX from AXE Edit.

I guess what I would ideally like is that when I make a change in preset or element of a preset form the FCB that it is reflected in AXE -EDIT on screen.

Any other options I have?
Thanks for any help.

Thanks.

I can control the Axe FX via the FCB1010, but when I change presets their is no change reflected onscreen in AXE EDIT.

I guess what I would ideally like is that when I make a change in preset or element of a preset form the FCB that it is reflected in AXE -EDIT on screen.

I too would like to see this if it is physically possibly w/o a firmware/hardware change. P.S. I'm using Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro and I still can't get your way to work.... will keep trying....

As stated I have the above setup. I have the FCB1010 UNO board and MIDISPORT 2X2 Ann USB unit.
AXE FX ultra. AXE EDIT most recent version.
WIN XP SP3.

I have read through the stickied FCB thread and am still a little unclear.

Presently I have:

FCB OUT/Thru to> AXE FX IN
AXE FX OUT to> MIDISPORT A IN
MIDISPORT B Out to> FCB IN

The above seems to be the only way I can get AXE Edit to work to show and switch presets.
If I use MIDISPORT A OUT to FCB then AXE EDIT does not respond at all-even though I can make changes on the AXE FX via the FCB 1010.

I have Midi Merge checked in the Ripwerx file I made for the FCB 1010.
I have the USB/Merge button pushed in on the MIDISPORT 2X2 unit.

Any other options I have?
Thanks for any help.

Thanks.

That's how I have mine hooked up.

From what I am reading here is that you want AxeEdit to reflect the preset that you've selected via the FCB1010. Other than that everything else works (you can edit the AxeFX from AxeEdit and you can control the AxeFX with the FCB1010).

Basically the way that the FCB1010 sends patch changes and the way that AxeEdit sends patch changes are different and you wouldn't want it to work the same way. The FCB1010 just tells it to change and it does it very quickly. It's just sending a program change (PC message). AxeEdit is sending a PC and asking for a patch dump which involves transferring a big old sysex stream from the AxeFX which is not very fast. If you were playing and wanted to change patches quickly you would hear a drop in the sound doing it the way you are talking about.

Now you can manually tell AxeEdit to refresh from the AxeFX by click on the recall button and selecting 'refresh from hardware'. Whatever state the AxeFX is in is now loaded into AxeEdit.

Now if you read through the wiki there may be information as to what the MIDI data is to request a patch dump and it will go through to the application because of the way that it's wired. I just don't know if you can program that specific data into the FCB1010 because you only have 5 PC and 2 CC sends per patch. You can read up on it here.

I've been able to control other parameters via a BCF2000, but that thing allows you to enter almost any string into an encoder so it's a lot more versatile than the FCB1010. I have no doubt that I could program it to get a patch dump, but that's not what we're looking for here.

And one other way that you could do it is possibly via MIDI-OX by using data mapping (and even then I'm not positive it's wired correctly to accept the FCB1010's data). But in theory you could set up a data map that with any PC sent by the FCB1010 that it would spit out a dump request that would go to the AxeFX). If MIDI-OX wouldn't work, Bome's MIDI Translator definitely would work for it. Because of the physical wiring of the hardware you may need to use a combination of both applications as well as MIDI Yoke NT.

Either way you've got some work involved to make it happen vs. just pushing the recall>refresh from HW button.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom