Best way to get headphones connected to AX8?

SteveW

Experienced
Since there is no direct headphone output on the AX8...what is the best way to get a pair connected? I'm guessing a Y patch 1/4" stereo cable or is there a simpler way?

If you have an audio interface, you can connect the AX8 and use the headphone out on the interface. I have an Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6.

And at home I use OUT 2 for the headphones and OUT 1 for my monitors.
It's nice having 2 separate controls for them.

At the moment, I run my output to a Mackie mixer (along with a bunch of other stuff) and use Sennheiser HD 598's plugged into the headphone jack on the mixer. This works fine while the Ax8 is set up in my basement space with the rest of the gear but is rather annoying if I want to bring it upstairs and play in the Family room. To make things a little more portable, I've ordered a Sound Blaster E5 DAC (I'll use the digital output on the Ax8) and have new headphones on the way to go with it - Sennheiser HD 6XX (picked up from a fantastic Massdrop deal).

I'll let you all know how it works out when the new phones and DAC arrive (hopefully over the holidays).

Thanks for all the help people! I am jut going to go with a dual 1/4" to Stereo 1/8" and connect to Out 2 so I can have separate controls as Scottp mentioned above!

Hi Im thinking about looking at an AX8. If I just run the unit into my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, and then use headphones with that, that would be all I need right?

Hi Im thinking about looking at an AX8. If I just run the unit into my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, and then use headphones with that, that would be all I need right?

Yes, but beware that if you use both inputs you will not get a stereo monitoring since the 2i2 is mono only.

If you want to hear stereo effects, you will need to upgrade to the 2i4.

Yes, but beware that if you use both inputs you will not get a stereo monitoring since the 2i2 is mono only.

If you want to hear stereo effects, you will need to upgrade to the 2i4.

... or run it through a DAW to create a stereo signal out of two mono inputs.

I do that all the time. The latency is about 3 msec. Doesn't matter to me.

OK :)

Some people hate latency and some don't care. It's not an issue that makes the 2i2 "unusable", it is just something to be aware.

And for a latency of just 3ms your computer is quite fast :)

To be honest: it's 2 x 3 msec round-trip latency equating to 6 ft distance which is less than what I usually experience when playing live using a monitor wedge. Playing through headphones at home I don't notice any latency anyways.

I see a lot of inquiries about how to use headphones with the AX8. I had that same question when I got my unit back in April, 2016. I read the complete thread about needing a headphone amp or using the headphone jack from a recording interface. Since I don't have a recording interface (nor do I need one), I thought it might be helpful to some to share my set up for using my AX8 with headphones.

I purchased a dedicated headphone amp for this purpose. I need to use my AX8 with headphones to learn songs for my cover band, to practice quietly at night, and to do preliminary programming of presets and scenes (final adjustments are made at gig volume with an FRFR powered speaker). This set up lets me mix the volume nicely between my iMac iTunes app and the AX8.

The first photo shows the connections to the back of the headphone amp. From left to right is 1) the output coming FROM my iMac's 3.5mm stereo headphone jack, with a split to RCA RIGHT and LEFT. Using RCA to 1/4 mono adapters, I plug each into the respective R and L inputs on the back of the amp. Of course you can also use 3.5 mm stereo cable split to 1/4" R and L mono plugs. (I just happened to have the 3.5 mm to RCA cable on hand). 2) To the right of that is the jack where I plug in my headphones. 3) At far right is the power adapter.

The middle photo shows the back of the amp with everything plugged in. The headphones can be plugged into any one of the four outputs.

The right photo shows the front of the headphone amp. As you can see, it fits nicely under my 27" iMac monitor. The 1/4" plug in the foreground comes from the AX8. I run a FEMALE XLR from OUT 1 (LEFT) on the AX8 to 1/4" MALE TRS which plugs into the STEREO INPUT jack at far left on the front of the amp. The MASTER headphone volume is controlled by Volume 1 on the front of the amp. I control the level of the music coming in, by using the volume control in iTunes, and the AX8 level with the OUT 1 level control. I'm running the AX8 as MONO out (Sum L / R, which I do in a live setting anyway), so I hear the signal from both sides of the headphones, (not in true stereo of course.)

This particular amp is often on sale at Amazon.com for $39.99 It sounds very good, it's quiet, and it won't break the bank. goo.gl/Hzw8lL

IMG_6913.jpg IMG_6914.jpg IMG_6917.jpg

Last edited:
Out 1 L/R >
Y patch 1/4" stereo cable >
rechargable small headphone amp to avoid cablemess. Make sure it sounds flat, can be had for 60 bucks >
Neutral and honest sounding headphones. There are not so many. Most will have too much bass and low mids to please your ear. I sent a 280 dollar device back and got the way cheaper AKG K702 (I do not work for this company). They are good for mixing, lack bass and sound very transparent. Very good if you want to tweak your sounds without annoying your neighbours.

Yes, there are headphones with an impedance/output that seem to work without a headphone amp, AX8 output 1 knob all the way up, but it will sound bad. I tried. This has been discussed here before.

At the moment, I run my output to a Mackie mixer (along with a bunch of other stuff) and use Sennheiser HD 598's plugged into the headphone jack on the mixer. This works fine while the Ax8 is set up in my basement space with the rest of the gear but is rather annoying if I want to bring it upstairs and play in the Family room. To make things a little more portable, I've ordered a Sound Blaster E5 DAC (I'll use the digital output on the Ax8) and have new headphones on the way to go with it - Sennheiser HD 6XX (picked up from a fantastic Massdrop deal).

I'll let you all know how it works out when the new phones and DAC arrive (hopefully over the holidays).
Have you been happy with the Sound Blaster E5 DAC? I've been thinking of a similar setup.

Back
Top Bottom