Best way to get feedback at reasonable volumes

jmillerc2

Is there an easy way to get nice feedback (Santana, Gary Moore, etc) at bedroom volumes? Suggested preset? Amp setting? Effects? Thx!!!

Well dude people have done presets with fixed harmonies that you can bleed in using an expression pedal. In my opinion these did not work out so well for me. There are sustainer systems out there that will mimic harmonic feedback like the sustainiac systems... Different people like different things but I have found that in order to get really good results... ya' gotta' turn it up (volume, monsieur)!

Some amps will feedback at lower (but not below talking volume) range better than others. I've had great success with my studio monitors running at above talking, below yelling volume, and getting feedback when I use the HBE and the Komet models. This patch feedbacks very well for me at a comfortable, but not quiet, volume on my studio monitors when you're on Scene 3 and running through the Komet.

Relatedly: if you can get the frequencies right, you can make the feedback loop happen without a lot of volume. I was hanging out with Mark Day at Tone Merchants a couple of weekends ago and he was showing off his Friedman HBE rig. At talking level volume, through a stereo 4x12 setup, it would feedback beautifully -- was a very cool demo. You just had to not be playing some scooped out nu-metal type tone. Push your mids up, embrace them. You can do it with the HBE model in the Axe-Fx II as well.

Ebow and sustainiac. Or press the guitar headstock against the speakers. Or make a dual chain preset, one amp with mad gain, and another with a sensible tone. Record only the reasonable tone.

I would stress the importance of mids. I played with a guy with shite guitars and mids dialed completly out. He could not get feedback (controllable) at volume 7 on a 100 watt tube amp.

I upped the mid knob and it came back at once. Volume at 2-3.

I mention mids, because some players dial it out..
And if you have more top end it also says "oooooooooooeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" earlier. More gain.. Etc.

Best tip is to try different amps and knobs. But there is no substitution for volume.

if you can't hear the folk next door knocking to complain then surely they can't be complaining..

and if you see angry faces at the windows.. close the curtains..

Providing you have a good preset that you are getting feed back with at a higher volume, with less volume Stand closer to the speakers with your guitar and up the gain and mids.

Do it the old fashioned way, and touch the head of your guitar to the speaker cabinet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In addition to the suggestions above.

I am assuming you are looking for feedback vs sustain. To me that go hand in hand. Sustain may help you get there. Add a compressor. Something to try. There was a good youtube video I saw awhile back but it escapes me currently.

Back
Top Bottom