Best way to connect the axe iii and interface to one set of monitors?

josh5150

HI all. This is my first time posting so if this has already been discussed, i apologize. This is my dilemma, I only have one set of studio monitors (Yamaha HS7's) and my interface is a focusrite 18i8 3rd gen. Im trying to figure out what is the best way to send the output of the axe to my interface while simultaneously having the interface send the computer audio to the same pair of monitors. I know the axe can do this now but there are times when I don't want the axe to be on. I'm assuming the best way is to connect output 1 of the axe to the input of the 18i8 and then from there output of the interface to my studio monitors? Could i send the output of the axe to my interface via spdif and the output of my interace to studio monitors? thanks again

HI all. This is my first time posting so if this has already been discussed, i apologize. This is my dilemma, I only have one set of studio monitors (Yamaha HS7's) and my interface is a focusrite 18i8 3rd gen. Im trying to figure out what is the best way to send the output of the axe to my interface while simultaneously having the interface send the computer audio to the same pair of monitors. I know the axe can do this now but there are times when I don't want the axe to be on. I'm assuming the best way is to connect output 1 of the axe to the input of the 18i8 and then from there output of the interface to my studio monitors? Could i send the output of the axe to my interface via spdif and the output of my interace to studio monitors? thanks again

There‘s no need for spdif, unless you’re running out of analog inputs on your 18i8. For instructions, see configuration #2 in the recording guide:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-for-the-recording-musician.177592/

Take a stereo out of your axe fx into your interface. That’s what I do.
It’s great for recording too, since you automatically have low latency monitoring while being able to record through USB.

I do Axfx > A.I. via spdif > mons - works fine and saves an d/a+a/d conversion compared to Axfx > A.I. via analogue out/in > mons

I do Axfx > A.I. via spdif > mons - works fine and saves an d/a+a/d conversion compared to Axfx > A.I. via analogue out/in > mons
Your audio interface doesn't have an all analogue path from input to output? I am assuming mine is analogue unless routing to a digital output. Going to check that now.

Your audio interface doesn't have an all analogue path from input to output? .
It does afaik, but I prefer digital from Axfx to audio interface in order to keep d/a,a/d conversions / latency minimized (I sometimes use a lot of outboard gear, so need to keep a thumb on latency - but if that were not a concern, analogue between Axfx and A.I. would also work fine for me).

Last edited:
SPDIF from axefx to interface. I also run SPDIF from my interface to the axefx for reamping. No AD/DA conversions in either direction and it keeps all my analog I/O open. Only drawback is that it locks you into 48k which isn't a problem for me.

This has several advantages over using USB for your I/O:
  • axefx doesn't have to be on to use your monitors
  • You can use the Focusrite Control software to build your mix instead of balancing between the axefx's physical volume knob and USB volume parameters which is kind of a pain (have to go into axe-edit > setup > input levels)
    • My FM9 is on the floor so using USB I/O would mean scooting out and bending over every time I need to change my monitor levels.
    • When tracking I run the metronome to my interface's playback channel 3 which gives me a dedicated fader in my interface control software for metronome. This is not possible when using axefx USB I/O.
  • It preserves the same workflow as when recording other sources on your interface
  • Don't have to change audio devices in your DAW when recording the axefx
  • Can use the Scarlett's lower impedance headphone amp (<1ohm vs 32ohm)
Obviously balanced analog out of interface to monitors, unless your monitors have AES for example. The Scarlett units have balanced TRS outputs so you'll probably need a TRS to XLR adapter/cable since most monitors have balanced XLR inputs.

Your audio interface doesn't have an all analogue path from input to output? I am assuming mine is analogue unless routing to a digital output. Going to check that now.
Don't know what interface you have but for the OP's Scarlett unit the monitoring and mixing functions happen digitally and are controlled with Focusrite Control. It doesn't really matter though since SPDIF is already digital and for the analog inputs it adds a negligible amount of latency (<1ms at 48k).

Last edited:

For most audio interfaces, the path from the analog input to the analog output for monitoring will be analog, so there won't be any additional conversions. As I mentioned above, the only reason he might consider using spdif for configuration #2 is if he's running out of analog inputs on his interface. Otherwise I'd recommend monitoring analog output since it's simpler.

With configuration #2 he has a minimal conversions, has a full digital recording path, has no need to turn on his Axe-FX to listen to music on his computer, and can easily re-amp. The only reason to consider something more complex, like configuration #4, is if he needs to record other things, like a microphone, from his audio interface.

For most audio interfaces, the path from the analog input to the analog output for monitoring will be analog, so there won't be any additional conversions. As I mentioned above, the only reason he might consider using spdif for configuration #2 is if he's running out of analog inputs on his interface. Otherwise I'd recommend monitoring analog output since it's simpler.

With configuration #2 he has a minimal conversions, has a full digital recording path, has no need to turn on his Axe-FX to listen to music on his computer, and can easily re-amp. The only reason to consider something more complex, like configuration #4, is if he needs to record other things, like a microphone, from his audio interface.
mine must not have analogue through then as I get an added 1-2ms if I don't use spdif - I'll check it again but no matter as I'm short on inputs anyway

I have Presonus Studio1810 as audio interface and from Axe FX 3 Output 1 L and R comes XLR cables to Presonus Studio 1810 Mic/line 1 and 2 and monitors (Adam A5X) are connected to Presonus Studio 1810, so when I when not using Axe 3 I still have sounds from computer or from my Pa4X works station etc. that are also connected to Presonus 1810 and I can hear sounds from monitors or headphones which are connected also to Presonus and when using Axe then sounds comes out via Presonus 1810. Sounds great and works fine.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom