Best way to connect Axe fx 3 to computer, Studio monitors, and audio interface.

i want to be able to have full audio functionality of my computer and also have the axe edit and axe fx come through my monitors, if i have to ditch the interface then so be it. I only use the interface because music sounds better then monitors directly into my computer and i like having the volume knob to control the monitors. this is my first time using something other than an amp so im just confused and stressed and need someone to point me in the right direction.

@GlennO is always the best at providing some good options for these questions.

Personally I use both an interface and my axe and use a coleman ls3 to switch what is being sent to my monitors.

I like to run it this way so i don't have to have the axe on when im just listening to music, working on a mix or watching YouTube. Then if i want to play the axe i just fire it up and switch the inputs on the ls3 so now it's sending the axe to the studio monitors instead of my interface.

Last edited:
I run my Axe III through a Scarlet 18i20 connected to my computer. Output 1/2 -> Inputs 3/4. I also connect it via USB to my computer for Axe Edit. You don't have to use the AxeFX as the interface if you don't want to, you can still use the USB connection for Axe Edit no problem.

Selecting the right audio device depends on your computer though. Are you using a PC or Mac?

i want to be able to have full audio functionality of my computer and also have the axe edit and axe fx come through my monitors, if i have to ditch the interface then so be it. I only use the interface because music sounds better then monitors directly into my computer and i like having the volume knob to control the monitors. this is my first time using something other than an amp so im just confused and stressed and need someone to point me in the right direction.

You'll find detailed instructions the recording guide (see link below). The Axe-FX is an excellent interface, but the recording guide contains some pros and cons to consider. If you choose to continue using your audio interface for computer output, see the variation of configuration #2 described in the last paragraph of the instructions for configuration #2.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-for-the-recording-musician.177592/

I run my Axe III through a Scarlet 18i20 connected to my computer. Output 1/2 -> Inputs 3/4. I also connect it via USB to my computer for Axe Edit. You don't have to use the AxeFX as the interface if you don't want to, you can still use the USB connection for Axe Edit no problem.

Selecting the right audio device depends on your computer though. Are you using a PC or Mac?
thanks for the response, im using a pc. i ended up ditching the interface, and its working out. The axe fx serves every purpose i need it to but the only downside is i need to have it turned on all the time if i want any audio from my pc.

thanks for the response, im using a pc. i ended up ditching the interface, and its working out. The axe fx serves every purpose i need it to but the only downside is i need to have it turned on all the time if i want any audio from my pc.

It sounds like you should be using configuration #2 in the recording guide. With that, there’s no need to turn on your AxeFX to listen to computer audio.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-for-the-recording-musician.177592/

It sounds like you should be using configuration #2 in the recording guide. With that, there’s no need to turn on your AxeFX to listen to computer audio.

That’s also how I hook mine up. It’s great using a mixer. Depending on the mixer you choose additional benefits may include the ability to use multiple monitors. Add multiple audio sources on separate channels such a microphone & acoustic guitar with built in effects. I use the Yamaha MG10xu. Zero complaints.

Studio monitors are plugged in a mixer .
And everything is plugged in different tracks of the mixer so I am free for everything.
The axe is both out in the mixer and in the soundcard, so I can choose if I just want to play in my monitors or record it. And if I want to listen to music I don’t need the axe to be powered up, that’s why I don’t use it as a soundcard.

Back
Top Bottom