Best way to change volume coming from computer

Arjan

Inspired
I plan to use the Axe-Fx III as the centerpiece of my studio and currently use it as my main audio interface. I am encountering a few hiccups and I'm wondering if you have any suggestion for me.

First off, I'd like to use the headphone out of the Axe for listening to the guitar sounds going to out 1 as well as the sound from my computer. The only way to make this work (if I understand correctly) is to keep the default settings of the Axe and route the computer sound to out 1 since that is what the headphone out copies.

On my Mac it doesn't seem to be possible to control the global volume (volume icon is greyed out). So for example, if I listen to a Youtube video and I want to play along with the guitar, I cannot easily control the global volume of the sound coming from the video. It is possible to control the volume of USB 1/2 in the Axe, but that involves diving into a menu every time I want to tweak the balance between computer sound and guitar sound. Of course, Youtube itself has a volume slider, but that's not very usable: I'd like a way to control volume by simply turning a knob. Am I missing something, or is there an easier way to achieve this?

As far as I see, the only solution that would work is get a separate monitor controller such as the Presonus Monitor Station, route computer sound to out 3/4 and then I can use the volume controls on the monitor controller to balance the two outputs separately from the Axe. But then I'd have to buy another device, and I'd prefer to do this with the Axe if possible.

What would be really awesome is if the Axe-Fx would get a basic, easily accessible 'monitor control' page, similar to the 'perform' page, which would contain main volume controls from USB as well as a few useful monitor control buttons such as mute, dim and mono. Another thing that would also work for me is if we could assign the USB 1/2 volume to a knob on the Perform page, but I'm not sure that it possible at the moment.

Another thing that would also work for me is if we could assign the USB 1/2 volume to a knob on the Perform page, but I'm not sure that it possible at the moment.
That would be really useful.

I share your pain I this and thinking how to solve it. I Might go back to a dedicated monitor interface and run axe into that, with separate volumes

Another thing that would also work for me is if we could assign the USB 1/2 volume to a knob on the Perform page, but I'm not sure that it possible at the moment.
You're in luck my friend. There is basically a way to do this, although not exactly the same, but just as good imho. If you look at the edit page of out1, you will see that each row has its own level control.....just add the level control to the performance page of which ever row you have the usb block coming from, and boom....you have a knob to control the youtube volume.

Thanks all for your feedback. I prefer not having to edit patches, but rather something that always works. In the end I actually found a solution, by installing an app for the mac called SoundSource: https://rogueamoeba.com/soundsource/. This allows you to still have a regular volume control even if the device doesn't support it. So now I can set the USB output volume with the keyboard of my Mac, and balance the computer volume and guitar volume this way.

It would be nice if the Axe-Fx III could support setting the USB volume using Core Audio, so that a third-party app such as SoundSource is no longer needed. I'll add a wish list item for this.

USB Return Level... In the one of the I/O menus.

Exactly this. Kind of.

I need this for teaching to control volume levels of external audio on the fly. I use a Mac mini.

What I do is use Loopback by Rogue Amoeba to send the audio sources I want to the Axe FX on channels 7 and 8 (the input grid USB channel on the Axe FX) like this:

Screenshot 2024-08-15 at 09.32.13.png

I then put the In USB block on the grid and connect that to my main monitors

Screenshot 2024-08-15 at 09.23.39.png

And then control the output level of that block with a rotary expression controller I got from Lazy Bear, here in the UK.

IMG_9340.JPG

Works flawlessly. I've expanded on the idea with the rotary expression controller to fully replace the mixer I've been using for my IEM at gigs and getting the Axe-FX to handle band mix and my own guitar for my personal IEM. I'll post about that once I've got it all together properly (I did this at our last gig and it was the easiest it's ever been to handle my IEM mix).

Hope that helps!
Sukh

Back
Top Bottom