Best way to backup presets in V10 ?

Georg80

Hi Everybody,
I have two big questions:
1) Which way would you recommend in order to backup older presets (V7 - V9) ?

2) I updated yesterday to V10 and now I want to try out all the new factory presets but don't wanna lose my old presets of course.
Now my own presets sound sometimes way different than before - has the preset-data also changed due to the update or is it only because the new way of modelling?

Want to say: Will my old presets stay the same when I backup them now and turn back sometime to V9 ?

Back them up to the internal memory in the axe. Then after you update your banks to V10 you can restore individual patches from memory on the axe (this a new feature with Ver. 10.)

Hi Everybody,

2) I updated yesterday to V10 and now I want to try out all the new factory presets but don't wanna lose my old presets of course.
Now my own presets sound sometimes way different than before - has the preset-data also changed due to the update or is it only because the new way of modelling?

Want to say: Will my old presets stay the same when I backup them now and turn back sometime to V9 ?

Did you back up your presets when on Ver. 9? If not, I can't know for sure. If this is important to you to go back to 9 at some point, before doing anything, I would go back immediately to 9 and back up the presets under that firmware. Once you edit an amp or do anything in 10 it will make changes to the amp block advanced parameters by being reset to the default values.

I always backup everything before changing Firmware. The primary sound difference that you are hearing is not do to changes in your own patches (as long as you didn't alter anything), it is because of the new modeling. Of course, I could be wrong...I'm not Cliff.

Thanks for the advice. How many times can I backup banks? I mean, can I backup another 3 banks while keeping the old ones?

Hmm, doesn't look like so :(
How can I backup the presets on my computer?
-> Axe-FX crashes during the process
-> Midi-Ox gives me a file in the end but it can't be used

HELP ME PLEASE :(

Thanks for the advice. How many times can I backup banks? I mean, can I backup another 3 banks while keeping the old ones?

You can backup multiple times to your computer if you use a sysex program as mentioned above. I love Bome's Send SX for ease of use and reliability on a Windows system. Once you have sent the sysex data sent to the computer and the file is in the program, just save it with the name you choose, ie "Bank A ver 9". Then if you want to reload it on the axe, load the file into your sysex editor and hit send to Axe. You'll have to configure the program to send and receive to the Axe by default. It's easy once you do it once. Make sure to turn on the option of "midi over USB" in the I/O section (not sure about the exact parameter name sorry not at Axe). Also turn off "send real time sysex" to off.

Hope this helps. I believe there are videos and other threads with more detailed instruction.

I just did this today. Spent the better part of the day backing up and loading the new presets and importing my various created presets and then loading the new data into my LF+12+ foot pedal. It took a fair amount of back and forth as I was doing it wrong at first. But the good news is since I backed everything up it was pretty hard to cause damage.

I used a combination of sysex librarian (I'm on a mac. PC guys would use snoize I think) and Axe-Manage in the Axe_Edit 1.9 app to back up. So I had multiple backups, just in case. Then download or located the v10 presets from the website.

Most everything I actually did with AE. I hope I didn't screw the pooch by doing that, but it seems to be OK. I was really cautious about using it. The first day I was using it to make changes to presets, but it kept doing screwy things. Then Cliff indicated that he doesn't trust it, so that more or less did it for me. I hadn't touched it again since. But doing Axe-Manage/loading and backing up things seems to be OK. Knock on wood.

I'm not sure of the "correct" procedure, but I loaded the banks individually. It didn't work to load all three banks at once. So I loaded bank A, then B and then C. THEN I had to save it to the hardware. I did a stupid little dance for awhile where it kept coming back to my old banks, because I hadn't sent it to the hardware and saved it. THEN you have to refresh the names from the hardware, or you're looking at different stuff in AE.

After that I loaded each of my user presets individually. It took me a minute because I was stubborn and refused to actually READ anything about how to do it. But nothing blew up. Just make sure you have saved your individual presets in a preset folder. I have the locations mapped to my foot controller. No big deal, but I tried to keep the locations the same. I'd audition the locations to see if I liked the current, new preset and either move it if I liked it, or kept it in place and took note of where my preset was going.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Hi Everybody,

Always to internal flash memory. So easy. And switch to an empty preset before you per from the backup, makes it go faster!

And from time to time to USB. Using Snoize Sysex Librarian (Mac) and an USB cable. Also easy and quick.

I'm not sure of the "correct" procedure, but I loaded the banks individually. It didn't work to load all three banks at once. So I loaded bank A, then B and then C. THEN I had to save it to the hardware. I did a stupid little dance for awhile where it kept coming back to my old banks, because I hadn't sent it to the hardware and saved it. THEM you have to refresh the names from the hardware, or you're looking at different stuff in AE.

After that I loaded each of my user presets individually. It took me a minute because I was stubborn and refused to actually READ anything a out how to do it. But nothing blew up. Just make sure you have saved your individual presets in a preset folder. I have the locations mapped to my foot controller. NO big deal, but I tried to keep the locations the same. I'd audition the locations to see if I liked the current, new preset and either move it if I liked it, or kept it in place and took note of where my preset was going.

Trying to the same thing myself, but there has got to be an easier way right? I am itching to try these new presets!

Back
Top Bottom