Best speaker options for going stereo with an amp+cab setup?

Stringtheorist

Fractal Fanatic
I'm thinking of swapping my 2x12 cab for a pair of 1x12s on either side of the stage, to spread the sound out and make use of stereo FX. However, I don't want to lose too much bottom end, and I want as much of the sound to surround the cab as possible (open backs preferred). What are the options? regarding speakers, my present cab has a pair of V30s in it. What would be the best speakers to use in a pair of 1x12s? Anyone have any experience of the Celestion G-12 Century in a 1x12?

Just out of curiosity, but why is it important to 'surround the cab' with sound? Do you get a lot of audience sitting behind your rig? I would think a more-focused closed-back cab would be more ideal.

mwc2112 said:
Just out of curiosity, but why is it important to 'surround the cab' with sound? Do you get a lot of audience sitting behind your rig? I would think a more-focused closed-back cab would be more ideal.
It's mainly for the benefit of myself and the rest of the band. Currently my singer has trouble hearing me and if I scale down to a 1x12 I'm afraid the drummer won't hear me either. Also, I now use no other means of monitoring my guitar sound, having tried it and decided it causes too many problems.

Stringtheorist said:
What would be the best speakers to use in a pair of 1x12s? Anyone have any experience of the Celestion G-12 Century in a 1x12?

EVM-12L, hands down.

Be careful with stereo on stage because it can be tricky to balance that with what the FOH guy has to do.

Doubtless others will mention that with that large a separation between the cabs, most stereo affects will be lost on the crowd (but might sound good to you if you are dead center on stage.) Ping pong delays could get 'interesting'.

That said, I have a couple of the Crate 1 12 cabs were designed for the PowerBlock series that I picked up at GC when they were blowing them out ($99 each) They are slightly oversized and deeper compared to an average 1-12 type combo, semi-open back, with Celestion GK-100 speakers. They are really big/good on the low end and fairly even across the rest of the spectrum except for the usual beaming effects (I've GOT to try Jay's diffuser trick...)

An interesting thing I've been playing with is to set each cab with a slightly different amp. Gets a really big sound similar to playing through two actual amps.

TT

joegold said:
Stringtheorist said:
What would be the best speakers to use in a pair of 1x12s? Anyone have any experience of the Celestion G-12 Century in a 1x12?

EVM-12L, hands down.

Be careful with stereo on stage because it can be tricky to balance that with what the FOH guy has to do.

I am a huge fan of EVM12L and have a pair of small 1X12 cabs that I use with my Fuchs ODS... I have been doing FRFR with a pair of Mackie SRM450's and having a blast.... I have a QSC amp that I am going to rack-up and try out the EVM's. I bet I'll love them too!! :D I have a feeling that because the EVM's are more "hi-fi" than most guitar speakers that I might be able to utilize a few of the speaker sims successfully as well.

joegold said:
Stringtheorist said:

EVM-12L, hands down.

There is no FOH guy where we play. I only have a trace amount of my guitar signal going direct. We don't have a sound man.

joegold said:
I am a huge fan of EVM12L and have a pair of small 1X12 cabs that I use with my Fuchs ODS... I have been doing FRFR with a pair of Mackie SRM450's and having a blast.... I have a QSC amp that I am going to rack-up and try out the EVM's. I bet I'll love them too!! :D I have a feeling that because the EVM's are more "hi-fi" that most guitar speakers that I might be able to utilize a few of the speaker sims successfully as well.
Cool. I am now shooting for a pair of Mesa Boogie 1x12s.

I would look at a pair of the older vertical 212's that Mesa used to make. The top speaker was a half open back IIRC and bottom was closed this way you get the best of both worlds and it's easer to move than a pair of 412's and you'll get better coverage and presence then a pair of 112's will give with a wide seperation.

Sixstring said:
I would look at a pair of the older vertical 212's that Mesa used to make. The top speaker was a half open back IIRC and bottom was closed this way you get the best of both worlds and it's easer to move than a pair of 412's and you'll get better coverage and presence then a pair of 112's will give with a wide seperation.
Sounds good but I won't get them in my car. :/

Stringtheorist said:
joegold said:
I am a huge fan of EVM12L and have a pair of small 1X12 cabs that I use with my Fuchs ODS... I have been doing FRFR with a pair of Mackie SRM450's and having a blast.... I have a QSC amp that I am going to rack-up and try out the EVM's. I bet I'll love them too!! :D I have a feeling that because the EVM's are more "hi-fi" that most guitar speakers that I might be able to utilize a few of the speaker sims successfully as well.

A pair Coyote Cabs Alpha Pups and EVM's is my setup... not sure what speaker he's using in the YouTube demo, but you'll get the idea of what the cab looks like... plus it has a slanted baffle and convertible open/closed back!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfhGE1fL2uM

xmentalpilot said:
Stringtheorist said:
joegold said:

A pair Coyote Cabs Alpha Pups and EVM's is my setup... not sure what speaker he's using in the YouTube demo, but you'll get the idea of what the cab looks like... plus it has a slanted baffle and convertible open/closed back!!!

Those are pretty cool little cabs.

xmentalpilot said:

I bought a Coyote open back cab with the slant baffle a while ago and also used it with an EV.
I found that it had a bit of a resonance that bugged me and that the slanting of the driver was more of a bother than a benefit.
I still might get it out and try it again.
But I'm pretty happy with my open back Pearce cab that I'm using now.
Can't get 'em anymore, but it's the nicest sounding open back cab I've ever owned.

+1 on the mesa stuff. if the vertical halfback is too big, the thieles are the #2 option. look to a company called boogafunk. they use the original ev plans which are supposed to be better than the boogie cabs. tho thieles will be enough for anybody

Back
Top Bottom