Best sounding Vocal microphone?

boltrecords

Fractal Fanatic
For the last couple years I've used the sennheiser ew100 G3 wireless mic for my vocals. But listening to some recordings and sound checks the mic always sound a little muffled to me. I have no problem going back to a wired mic if it sounds better. What would you all recommend as far as a high quality and great sounding vocal mic for live use? I know sm58's are pretty standard but if price wasnt an issue is there something better. I saw someone using a Heil mic not too long ago, I'm not sure on the quality of those. Any opinions?

For live use, I've been a big big fan of the Audix OM-5, 6 or 7 (best)...been using them for many years now. They are great for gain before feedback and are less harsh than the old SM58, but don't lack for presence. Just think they sound very nice. Only thing about these mics is that the tradeoff for the low feedback properties is that you have to stay "on" the mic in terms of proximity. Back off too far and you'll get lost in the mix. But since we're talking about live, for me these Audix are great. Stay on the mic, eat it, scream in it, just try to pop a "P"...handles the rigors of live vocals with ease and sounds great doing it. For me, these Audix are a better standard than the SM 58...by far. JMHO

I'm using a Telefunken M80 for the past several years and really like it. versatile, extra low hand noise, and can handle high SPL. Sounds great with most any range I throw at it.

I remeber seeing that guy on YouTube a while back... he kicks all kinds of a$$ doing his best Freddie stuff.

For me... I like the Sure Beta 57 or the Beta 87. A lot of people don't like the 87, just so you knw.

Of course there's no such thing. I remember I was tracking in a 'pro studio' with my brother, way back in '79. We were so excited by all the mics. We tried EVERYTHING on his voice - including '87s, '47s, bajillions of mics. And... he sounded best with an SM57 (not even a '58!).

My favorite dynamic mic for live use is my trusty Sennheiser 441 MkI. Just an amazing (and tough) road mic with no need for phantom power. When I do my radio commentaries for NE Public Radio, I use a Rode NTK tube mic. Damn thing is PERFECT for my voice - no EQ or compression needed at all - just straight in.

My favorite vocal mic in the studio is, yes, an '87. But I really like my Blue Baby Bottle too! It's a great mic for the money.

P.S. I also find I like singing through 57's more than 58's - because they sound more open and less muffled without the wind screen - but you gotta be on top of plosives...

I have a slew of Shure SM58's because its usually much easier to ring out stage wedges when all the vocal mics are the same brand and model.

But for the last 5 years I've been using this mic too:

Audio-Technica - Microphones, headphones, wireless microphone systems, noise-cancelling headphones & more : AE6100 Hypercardioid Dynamic Handheld Microphone

It has great gain before feedback. And although a dynamic mic, it is very condenser sounding for vocals. Just a great microphone.

It rings out easy and doesn't fight with SM58's on stage either.

Richard

I've been gigging with a Sennheiser 845 wireless for the past 10 years...love it.
I think it's Sennheiser's version of Beta 58.
I keep thinking I should get a new one just to upgrade and invest in my gear....but it works so well, I don't really know if it's necessary.

I have a slew of Shure SM58's because its usually much easier to ring out stage wedges when all the vocal mics are the same brand and model.

But for the last 5 years I've been using this mic too:

Audio-Technica - Microphones, headphones, wireless microphone systems, noise-cancelling headphones & more : AE6100 Hypercardioid Dynamic Handheld Microphone

It has great gain before feedback. And although a dynamic mic, it is very condenser sounding for vocals. Just a great microphone.

It rings out easy and doesn't fight with SM58's on stage either.

Richard

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I second the Audix recommendation. I'm using an OM11 which replaces an OM1 that was lost or stolen a few years ago. That model is great for hard rock or metal vocals, but the other mics mentioned previously are just as good, but have different EQ characteristics. The OM11 is hypercardiod so it rejects feedback better than a lot of live vocal mics too.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Forum Runner

Back
Top Bottom