Best smallish amp to fill a school auditorium?

kfliegner

Power User
Looking for suggestions. Need to cover tones from Hendrixy cleans to VH (but not metal). Power scaling (as on the Badger) or similar would be a nice feature.

2nd Axe-Fx II not an option ;)

ToneKing Metropolitan would do the trick, but it cost more than 2nd Axe II. Used TK is probably a push with Axe II.

On a budget, Fender Mustang III/IV would do it and have effects built-in. It's not Axe level modelling, but I think for clean to medium gain it's quite decent, the effects sound good and the user interface could hardly be easier.

I just heard a Peavey 6505 Plus (I think that's it...it's the further development of the 5150 after VH wasn't endorsing it) in a store and was amazed at how good it sounded for used $. The clean channel was WAY better than the VH version. It would actually get clean whereas the VH version never really cleaned up to my ear. It was about $400 used and I think they're pretty commonly available.

The Mesa TA30 is a cool little amp but so is the Badger series. You could also possibly put together a Axe Standard and a descent powered FR cab ( Xi Tone )and a small midi board say a Rocktron Midimate or FB1010 for that kind of money.

mesas lonestar or nomad or dc5 or 5:50. hard to respond since i dont know how small smallish is

I left that deliberately vague to cast a wider net, but basically I'm looking for something my 16-yr-old son can easily carry, that will be loud enough to work an auditorium, and that will sound good and offer the specified range of tones.

Carvin V3M, Mesa mini rectifier, Jet City stuff are great. Price wise, Jet City and Carvin are gonna be the clearer contenders.

The combos for Jet City 20-50 watt stuff will come from 300-700 depending where you look and the wattage. I got the V3M and a 2x12 with V30s for 800 flat. The cab isnt carvin though.

There's also the Vox Night Train although I'm not sure about the VH part being covered.

Last edited:
Just tried a blackstar ht 40 around 700.00 bucks ,distortion channel sounded pretty nice

Back
Top Bottom