Best Set up for Live Monitoring....???

WERNER1

Inspired
Ok,.. I'm kind of putting the cart before the horse here a bit as I don't even have the AX8 yet,.. but I'm the guy who likes to do tons of research and be the best informed and educated before making any final decisions and purchases :D

With my set up I will be running direct to FOH and using in ear monitoring probably 90+ % of the time,... on some occasions I will need to still probably run direct, but may not have the ability for In Ears.... So my thoughts are to have a powered full range monitor running directly out of the AX8 for personal monitoring on these limited occasions(?)

I typically dial in my patches through my PC/USB/FireFace UC interface which are played back through a pair of Wharfedale Diamond Pro 8.2A's .... they are a pretty decent monitor set and everything I record and play back on the monitors, car stereo, and home stereo sound pretty consistent with each other.... Then I get to the Gig and it seems like my patches need to be tweaked for the house,.... which I will admit drives me pretty much batty! ...

I know that all FOH speakers will have their own frequency curve/response,.. but I'm hoping while using say a CLR powered wedge things would be pretty close to FOH? .... and I could get by with some minimal tweaking....???

Any thoughts,... or am I going about this all wrong? :O

Thanks
Rick

When you're tweaking for 'the house', you are not tweaking for the speakers, you are tweaking for the room. This will not change, no matter what kind of speaker, you invest in.

FWIW, I never tweak for 'the house'. We are a 'wedding band', so we usually play our own PA, and we don't have a sound guy. I think my sounds are pretty consistent, and they translate very well from my home studio monitors to the PA and my in-ears. If we were a touring band with a crew and did sound rehearsals at every venue, things might be different.

Sorry,.. I forgot to mention that I play for a Church,... our auditorium seats right at 1000, and we have a very nice sound treated room with a good PA system (EAW Array's.. blah,..blah...) So my set up is VERY consistent for the most part.

Programming Volume: No, I typically program them at a medium volume, my in ears usually sound pretty good,.. and my EQ on the FOH line is pretty much flat,... and all of my recorded stuff that I do at home always sounds consistent upon playback through my Studio monitors, Home Stereo, and car stereo systems...

Ok. When increasing the volume you will need to reduce the high and low end. There has been a lot of talk around the Fletcher-Munson effect in this forum describing the details. What kind of adjustment do you usually have to do on stage?

It seems like our system has a bit of a midrange push to it,.. we have a mid week practice and I typically find my self dialing in a bit more bottom end,... When i'm developing patches at home for these songs I typically have to purposely make them "darker" sounding so that they sound decent through the house.

Well, the first thing I'd make sure is that my signal is not altered by the sound guy via channel eqs. If that guy is doing his job right the PA and room sound should be FRFR. If that's the case then a CLR wedge should deliver a sound very similar to the FOH sound.

Yeah,.. I'm constantly confirming EQ settings on my channel,.. Only thing he says he has on me is a little cut around 200.. so I'm not sure if it's the "Sum of all the parts" scenario or what,.. but it defiantly doesn't sound like what I've patched in.... Oh well,.. Yes I think the CLR would be a great option for me.

Back
Top Bottom