Best presets to buy for FM9?

Reactions: TNJ
Oh man, we have this conversation over and over again. That's on us not you!

I bought the Austin Buddy Naked Amp preset pack because I wanted starting points for every amp, already dialed in a consistent way. I found it useful and it saved me a ton of time. Sure, I tweaked every preset I used, but I learned a great deal about how to create presets from scratch. No way I would ever have time to do that with all the amps in the fractal! Too busy making music.

I haven't found all that many useful things on Axe exchange, but I agree that factory presets have many useful tones, In fact when I got my FM9 last week, I took it to practice and used all factory presets, definitely a first for me.
I have Austin Buddy Naked Amps and Live Gold. They're both great but I prefer the Live Gold.

I'm gonna be another one to advocate factory presets and the various presets available by others (Gift of Tone!). I've really found everything I've needed with these. Similarly with factory IRs. I've bought quite a few packages, but have ultimately gone back to factory IRs for all my working presets.

I have been Fractal user since I think 2008.
Have always liked Bank 1 on the Factory presets as a starting point.

I have the Austin Buddy Live Gold and Naked Amps and the newly released Plus Pack 2024 for single coils.
All really well done.

I've spent a bit too much on presets, and a large swathe of 'em don't really get used.

If I were starting over, I'd concentrate on the factory presets, using Frank Steff Mueller's wonderful playthroughs as a sound reference. Then I'd go to the most personally interesting topics on Leon Todd's staggeringly huge YouTube channel.

If I had difficulty tweaking at volume (which I do), I'd grab AustinBuddy's beautifully realized Live Gold set and use them for all of my base tones.

I'd be shocked if that doesn't cover 99.99% of nearly everyone's needs.

--THIS-- FAS factory presets are not like other modelers, they actually sound good and a lot of them are useable as-is. Quite a bit of attention is paid to the factory presets and it shows. Spend a couple of minutes playing through a few of them each time you turn on the FM9.
I believe it was @Cooper Carter that did a video about taking a factory preset and using it basically as-is for a line tone for an artist (Maroon 5?). The factory presets are indeed really good!

Also, unless money is burning a hole in your pocket learning how to build your own presets is a great investment. You don’t have to go down the rabbit hole of options just because they are there. You can build great presets without ever leaving the Tone tab on the amp block. No need to change the Pre Amp, Power Amp, Power Tubes, etc tabs on the Amp block. Keep it simple until you hit a specific use case that causes you to dive in a little more.

As others have said, @2112 and many others have excellent free content on YouTube to kick start the learning process. I’d also recommend one of Cooper’s classes.

https://classes.coopercarter.com/

Greetings. I bought the Cooper Carter classes and it was worth every penny. I would recommend it to anyone who is new to the Fractal world.
The factory presets on my FM9 are very cool. I've used many of them and I tweaked them to my liking and was more than satisfied with my results.
Now I bought the Live Gold and Naked amps from Austin buddy and I learned a lot about how to make my own presets sound much better than they have been sounding. The presets in the Live Gold tone pack sound amazing. I saw how the presets were tweaked and I realized why they smoked anything I have put together on my own. So in my case the Austin Buddy Live Gold pack was a method for me to take a deep dive into the presets and its not only an awesome sounding tone pack but it was an educational experience as well.

Attachments

• Explorer.jpg
    Explorer.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 10
@austinbuddy - I have the Live Gold pack. Are there plans to update the pack for the new firmware and dynamic cabs?
There will be a minor update for 2024 later this spring, but no Dynacabs. You can always use those yourself.

The 2024 +PlusPack bank #2 I did has the new the new 2023 added models for both LiveGold and Naked amps and some of those use DynaCabs….

Back
Top Bottom