Best presets to buy for FM9?

I built my whole live rig around Burg's free kitchen sink preset and use that 95% of the time now. I did some mods to it... think I went with York Audio's Hiwatt/Fane IR's in it.. I also bought a good acoustic guitar simulator preset. I haven't tried his brilliant preset yet, but that would be a great one to try.

Surprisingly, no one has mentioned John Nathan Cordy's "Gumroad" folder of Axe III / FM9 / FM3 presets.

If perhaps you prefer lower to mid gain; tweed wooly tones compared to harsher bright high-gain ones, check out any of JNC's G66 or YT pages where he showcases a variety of modelers and gear. Every so often, JNC will dial in a newly discovered preset or amp model, and the rest is history.

Some examples are how JNC dials in "D"-style amps, various tweed examples, among others. While his tone may seem the same for many of his videos, watch how he dials in the examples in each preset. If your ears like what you hear, then you'll know why JNC is being credited in this post.

The Gumroad folder is uber-inexpensive and contains about 125 separate presets. Some will be useful; others will not. His folder is updated weekly and with a user name and PW you can revisit and download future presets at no extra charge.
JNC is a beautiful player. He has a pretty rough sounding but great album on streaming services. However his presets don’t translate for me at all. I certainly don’t sound like him lol

JNC is a beautiful player. He has a pretty rough sounding but great album on streaming services. However his presets don’t translate for me at all. I certainly don’t sound like him lol
And that may be the problem for many...how do you get your downloaded presents to sound like you, and not the guy you purchased from?

JNC has his own legato and touch style that is really very beautiful in its own way. Plenty of technique and dynamics rounding out his ability.

Yet if there are any specific gems within his gumroad folder, for 5 British pounds you can't go wrong, and can download the entire folder within a minute or 2.

And that may be the problem for many...how do you get your downloaded presents to sound like you, and not the guy you purchased from?

JNC has his own legato and touch style that is really very beautiful in its own way. Plenty of technique and dynamics rounding out his ability.

Yet if there are any specific gems within his gumroad folder, for 5 British pounds you can't go wrong, and can download the entire folder within a minute or 2.
I have been following JNC for years when I had a Helix and bought his Gumroad folder for the Helix. Basically anything JNC plays sounds great so he can make any preset work. I ended up not using any of his stuff as it is kind of a a mishmash of stuff he creates on YT, but could be a good starting point. He recently is playing around with an Ampero Stomp II, which I recently picked up as a backup to my FM9. For a $300 unit(used) it sounds pretty darn good IMO, and of course he makes it sound amazing. I may pick up his gumroad folder for that, but for my FM9 I am set already, using presets specifically designed for PRaise & Worship (Cleaner amps pushed to Edge of Breakup), multipel gains stages, with lots of Delay and Reverb.

I just purchased these yesterday. The amount of presets for $6 is mind blowing. They are not organized very well, but some of them for my FM3 sound amazing. Now if I can figure out how to play like him, they would sound even better!

Between the Factory Presets and the FREE presets on this forum from members like Burgs, Leon Todd, Cooper Carter and many others - I mean everything is covered quite well.

The only reason I’ve ever purchased presets was to sort of reverse engineer them and get ideas to implement into my own presets.
But you can do that with the plethora of free presets as well.

The only reason I’ve ever purchased presets was to sort of reverse engineer them and get ideas to implement into my own presets.

Of course you are right, but there are some people who are better at dialing in the combinatorial number of parameter settings that are available than others. For example, they may be more familiar with what the variety of amps being modelled sound like in person. I appreciate that and its well worth a few dollars to me.

Of course you are right, but there are some people who are better at dialing in the combinatorial number of parameter settings that are available than others. For example, they may be more familiar with what the variety of amps being modelled sound like in person. I appreciate that and its well worth a few dollars to me.
Better in what way? More experience? Do you not feel the need to learn the Fractal units at all?

One of the main reasons I moved away from ToneX and captures in general was because I couldn’t actually trust any third party capture would sound good with my guitar and my fingers and my playing style and my pickups etc. spending money on the hope that they magically fit my playing and brain tone perfectly was a huge waste.

So instead I purchased Cooper Carters masterclass and learned how to translate the sound in my head, into the Fractal. That is a skill worth investing my time and money into.

This might come off harsh but I truly don’t believe just slapping some blokes paid for preset on an FM9 and calling it a day is worth your money or worth owning a Fractal unit for. You can buy a ToneX for $150 for that experience.

Spend some time learning and tweaking and failing and succeeding. It’s so much more rewarding than throwing money at the proverbial wall and hoping it sticks this time. At least for me it has been and I’ve been able to get the absolute best tone ive ever had. I don’t think a paid for (or any) preset would get me all the way there.

I would suggest that YMMV.

Some people will have a better experience with their own work, others will do better with a canned third-party solution. At least part of that is confidence, and a few $ to buy some confidence is certainly worth it to some.

I don't use any of the presets I've bought, none of them captured the tones I actually want, but I HAVE used blocks from free presets with little or no additional adjustments. I also A/B amp models with my real amps intensively. But that's time I seem to be able to put into it that not everybody has. I also have great gear that helps with this, that most people couldn't possibly afford.

Better in what way? More experience? Do you not feel the need to learn the Fractal units at all?

One of the main reasons I moved away from ToneX and captures in general was because I couldn’t actually trust any third party capture would sound good with my guitar and my fingers and my playing style and my pickups etc. spending money on the hope that they magically fit my playing and brain tone perfectly was a huge waste.

So instead I purchased Cooper Carters masterclass and learned how to translate the sound in my head, into the Fractal. That is a skill worth investing my time and money into.

This might come off harsh but I truly don’t believe just slapping some blokes paid for preset on an FM9 and calling it a day is worth your money or worth owning a Fractal unit for. You can buy a ToneX for $150 for that experience.

Spend some time learning and tweaking and failing and succeeding. It’s so much more rewarding than throwing money at the proverbial wall and hoping it sticks this time. At least for me it has been and I’ve been able to get the absolute best tone ive ever had. I don’t think a paid for (or any) preset would get me all the way there.
Good on you.

For my milage, i have enjoyed some presets. I do tweak them for my guitars and taste. I am always learning. They are a platform not a final state.

I felt the ones i got were better than what i was dialling in. I will do the cooper carter class sometime. I look forward to it.

I only have experience with a few amps (fender superchamp (rivera - like a baby twin), vox ac15c , marshall clone). I do appreciate the experience of others who know more.

For me right now the presets are a delight and worth the dollars for the experience of the people who dialled them in.

Good on you.

For my milage, i have enjoyed some presets. I do tweak them for my guitars and taste. I am always learning. They are a platform not a final state.

I felt the ones i got were better than what i was dialling in. I will do the cooper carter class sometime. I look forward to it.

I only have experience with a few amps (fender superchamp (rivera - like a baby twin), vox ac15c , marshall clone). I do appreciate the experience of others who know more.

For me right now the presets are a delight and worth the dollars for the experience of the people who dialled them in.
Love it, that’s what learning and being creative is all about. Using others experience and implementing that into your own philosophy.

Can’t recommend the masterclass enough. It’s pricey but the amount of content and work put in to it justifies the price, not to mention the plethora of knowledge shared throughout.

Good luck on your tone journey!

Reactions: jrx
Love it, that’s what learning and being creative is all about. Using others experience and implementing that into your own philosophy.

Can’t recommend the masterclass enough. It’s pricey but the amount of content and work put in to it justifies the price, not to mention the plethora of knowledge shared throughout.

Good luck on your tone journey!
The other thing is the tones i have been using sit better in the mix when playing with friends. There is so much to learn 👍.

IAH, Been here since 2009 and I have bought presets but due to what I am about to say I will not say which ones.
Today., in 2024 the only preset that I use that is NOT an edited\tweaked factory preset (by me) is a preset that was shared freely on the forum. Just sayin-after all the $$$, this is where I have ended up. It's a dumble preset by our own Ian............

Wow! i just realized how old the original thread is........This topic gets discussed many times here.............

I should also add I see nothing wrong with buying presets if that's what someone chooses.

Back
Top Bottom