Best power amp to drive a cab?

supersonic

Inspired
So I got my new FM3 a couple of days ago and Im thinking of the best way to run a regular guitar cab as a stage monitor.
FRFR will be going direct to FOH from outputs 1.
Since I can’t run two amp sims I’m guessing I’d have to bypass the cab block and send to output 2, then use a SS power amp to power the cab. Is this right?
Is the Seymour Duncan 170 a good choice?
Thanks.

Nobody can agree on what is good or not so you might need to try things for yourself.

Many seem to like the dirt cheap TC BAM200 bass amp. Look up the thread for it on The Gear Page for EQ settings to make it flat. It's way cheaper than the SD 170 so start with that and see how it does for you.

For going to a guitar cab, make sure you test the different speaker impedance curve settings in the amp block advanced section. This can make a big difference in how it behaves with a particular cab.

Sorry, this first part isn't a direct answer to your question. Since you're going to have a live guitar cab on stage anyway, have you thought about just micing it rather than taking the other output direct to FOH? I tried an approach similar to what you're contemplating, and it seemed like there was always a compromise. It would sound great through the guitar cab, but not as good through FRFR, or vice versa. It felt like I was having to fine tune twice as many tones, just because I was running the same chains through two different types of outputs.

That said, I use a Crown XLS 1502 for my solid-state amp, and it's been great.

SD 170 is fantastic and was 100% build with modelers in mind. That XLR output is amazing and makes it so you can run analog with cabs and have no need for the cab to be mic'd. Truly amazing.

What I've been doing for the live cab with a FOH feed is put an eq right before the output2 block that goes into my power amp. I've got two different cabs that I like to bring out depending on my mood, so I've got all my presets setup for channel 1 of the eq set specifically for one cab and channel 2 for the other. It honestly doesn't take much futzing, just a bit of reduction here and there. For power I'm using the ps100.

Nobody can agree on what is good or not so you might need to try things for yourself.

Many seem to like the dirt cheap TC BAM200 bass amp. Look up the thread for it on The Gear Page for EQ settings to make it flat. It's way cheaper than the SD 170 so start with that and see how it does for you.

For going to a guitar cab, make sure you test the different speaker impedance curve settings in the amp block advanced section. This can make a big difference in how it behaves with a particular cab.
Thanks for the tip, I’ll check them out.

Back
Top Bottom