Best power-amp for a axe fx2 into a mesa boogie rectifier 2x12 ?

axle1

Hey guys, im looking for a poweramp to run my axe fx 2 through my mesa boogie 2x12 rectifier cabinet. So far ive been looking at the GT800fx and the Rocktron Velocity 300 power amp, my budget is 500-700 australian dollars. Thanks!

I'm using an Art SLA2 into a Recto 2X12 and it sounds pretty good but no where near enough power to gig with.
I have a mackie HD 1221 at my house right now on load from a friend and it squashes the Art in terms of volume.
I'd look at one of the Matrix power amps or FRyette has a new Power amp coming out targetted speicifiaclly for the Axe users. Fryette power amps always get rave reviews.

Hey guys, im looking for a poweramp to run my axe fx 2 through my mesa boogie 2x12 rectifier cabinet. So far ive been looking at the GT800fx and the Rocktron Velocity 300 power amp, my budget is 500-700 australian dollars. Thanks!

It may be a little older and harder to find but I am using a Mesa Simul:Class 2:90 and it sounds pretty awesome! :)

Thanks,
d.

dschaaf said:
It may be a little older and harder to find but I am using a Mesa Simul:Class 2:90 and it sounds pretty awesome! :)

Thanks,
d.

I'm using the same amp. LOVING my tones even more now with the axe than when I used my TriAxis. You can probably get one off of eBay (where I got mine). The only drawback is its HEAVY. I split my gear that was in one 6u rack into 1 - 2u for the 2:90 and 1 - 4u for the Axe, power conditioner and wireless.

I use a VHT 2/50/2 with my 2x12 mesa recto cab and am loving it.

Previously used a Carvin DCM1000 solid state, and it sounded pretty good too, but I'm a sucker for the tube warmth (placebo effect? :)

- First I used 2:90 -> 4x12 Mesa Rectifier Cab
- Then I bought Matrix GT800FX, huge disappointment. Sold it after 1 week
- Back to 2:90
- Now I'm going to FRFR

One thing why I don't like poweramp/Cab is that it's hard to create a preset that sounds ok through output1 and output2.
I used to create, one signal path with cab-block, and another one through fxloop (of course without cab-block)
I had to put a lot of peq before the fxloop to compensate bass/mid response.

I use a mesa boogie 20/20 only 1 rack unit. Into 2 x mesa cabs with 12" V30's fitted.

I cannot imagine a better sound than what i have now with my Axe 2.

Amazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzlllllllllllleeeeing gooood sound.

I use the Axe FX II and a Mesa 2x12 as well. I used the Mesa 50:50, Fryette 2902, Matrix GT800FX, and into the power section of a Mesa Recto and an ENGL Invader. After trying all these, my vote is with the Fryette 2902. NOTHING comes close to the power, depth and clarity that this amp has. The downside is the weight - it weighs a ton.

I just bought a vertical Mesa 2x12 cab pretty cheap ($220), but one of the Eminence speakers are blown. I have 2 Celestions sitting in a crappy cab. Which would be better? Mixing 1 Em, 1 Cel, or both Cel . . . or paying to get the Em fixed? This cab is remarkably solid & heavy, besides missing the blown speaker, it's missing the casters. There was another 2x12 on CL working for $600.

Back
Top Bottom