Best place to get inexpensive XLR cables that are not crap?

+1 on Monoprice

Half my bag is these from Amazon, they work well, color coded and I like the braided look
Amazon product ASIN B096MYJ2Y8
My band and I wound up with a metric crap ton of these for the IEM/FOH system I put together. They're actually my preferred now - and as a career electronics engineer, I use to insist on rolling my own from bulk supplies. I still do when necessary, but these are fine. They coil and lay very nicely, and don't seem to pick up dirt like rubber jacketed. They lay and coil well enough that I cobbled together a 4-XLR plus AC bundle with Velcro One-Wraps as a makeshift snake for FM9 to backline X200 cabs and FOH feed. Super-fast setup and teardown!

Inexpensive? I don't think they sell anything that's inexpensive... Good quality, though.
I suppose you’re right compared to Monoprice. If you buy 100’ of the bulk Mogami 2314 and 10 Neutrik XLR connectors you get 5 20’ very good cables for $66.50 that should last for years. Of course you’ll need to build them and that’s not for everyone. I find it relaxing to sit and build a bunch of cables. Then again I don’t mind watching paint dry either.

I've had good results with Seismic Audio cables.
Maybe things have changed with Seismic, but I bought a bunch (via an ebay auction they held), and they're 'decent'...but the male barrel size seems to be a little too large. They get stuck quite a bit.

After several decades of gigs, studios, owning a stage, box truck and pro sound company, I have acquired two road cases piled high with XLR cables. There‘s every brand from ProCo, Studiolink, Canare, Mogami, Hosa, Seismic, etc., For value cables, Hosa and ProCo are well vetted. Seismic cables are just okay for permanent installs but if you‘re wrapping and unwrapping cables a lot, you will be found out. After you spend a few stressful, pre-show minutes chasing down a bad cable, you realize that cheap cables aren’t worth it. I’ve started swapping out all of my suspect cables with Roland Black Series XLR. Like most things Roland, they can’t be beat for the price. If you wrap and store them correctly, they should be trouble free the rest of your gigging life.

I like the woven/braided cables, and will happily upgrade any cheap or failed connectors to the better brands as needed. Anyone know of a source for bulk lengths of quality cable with a woven outer jacket?

It seems my old bulk supplier, who apparently granted me wholesale price status in the early 90's, has disappeared. Covid casualty? That price break made DIY very attractive. I used many hundreds of feet of their cable in my studios and live rigs over the years, much of which I'm still using and re-purposing. I solder a lot...

I like the woven/braided cables, and will happily upgrade any cheap or failed connectors to the better brands as needed. Anyone know of a source for bulk lengths of quality cable with a woven outer jacket?

It seems my old bulk supplier, who apparently granted me wholesale price status in the early 90's, has disappeared. Covid casualty? That price break made DIY very attractive. I used many hundreds of feet of their cable in my studios and live rigs over the years, much of which I'm still using and re-purposing. I solder a lot...
https://btpa.com/Bulk-Product/Cable/Microphone/ca-0351-color.html

Back
Top Bottom