Best Parameters to Tighten sound?

Here are some of the parameters to tighten and decongest the amps that I have used. There are more ways but I've found these very effective.

Lower the MV
Turn on the CUT switch
Reduce Depth
Reduce amp gain and use input boost to compensate

Choose a harder preamp tube, ie 12AX7 instead of ECC83
Increase low cut
Lower preamp bias excursion

Increase power amp negative feedback
Lower transformer drive
Lower transformer match
Lower power tube grid bias
Lower Phase Inverter bias excursion
Choose a harder power tube (I've found that the power tube selection in V19 is very noticeable and useful)
Lower power tube bias excursion
Lower cathode follower compression
Lower power tube excursion recovery time

Lower power supply sag

Reduce speaker impedance bass peak
Increase speaker impedance bass Q

Use positive value on the "definition" (tilt) filter on the amp block eq page.
Reduce bass post eq on amp block page. Note setting the filter location to pre PA is extremely effective.

My main tool for controlling the amp low end is by placing a para eq block in front of the amp block. I can get 95% of what I need this way without messing with the amp block advanced parameters.
Great list but missing the most basic one: use less bass in the amp block, whether just turning down the bass knob or using the input EQ to cut it. What most "boost amp with overdrive" setups do is cut some bass and boost some mids.

Great list but missing the most basic one: use less bass in the amp block, whether just turning down the bass knob or using the input EQ to cut it. What most "boost amp with overdrive" setups do is cut some bass and boost some mids.

Advanced parameters are what you use after you find out that just turning down the bass knob and adding a low cut is not enough. I agree on boosting mids, especially when looking for crunch.

Also, there are lots times when I want the low end intact, I just need to reduce the thickness of the power amp (most commonly with the NMV amps). Getting my eyes opened to the use of the bias excursion parameter in the last couple of weeks added a great tool to my list.

Also, the new power tube selections are great. Just switching the power tube from EL34 Mullard to EL34JJ makes a big difference with a mushy Marshall. Switching it to a KT88 really lights it up.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom