Best MIDI USB interface for Windows 7 x64?

And I totally agree with those peeps. It would seem M-Audio is trying to use this to sell more hardware.

I see MOTU has an 8x8 rackmountable for the same price as M-Audio 4x4. A quick check of their site shows they have beta drivers for W7.
Any experience with MOTU?

Turns out that E-MU doesn't support Windows 7 for the XMidi. I have sent them an e-mail to see if they will be offering support in the future; I'll have to wait and see what their response is, but if it's anything like other requests in the past then I'm not too optimistic.

I'm actually surprised so many MIDI adapter vendors don't claim Windows 7 support for their devices; it uses basically the same driver architecture as Vista and thus should not be big challenge.

On a positive note, I tried switching to the MIDI adapter built into my E-MU 1212M PCI sound card, and it works like a charm under Windows 7 x64.

steverosburg said:
Turns out that E-MU doesn't support Windows 7 for the XMidi. I have sent them an e-mail to see if they will be offering support in the future; I'll have to wait and see what their response is, but if it's anything like other requests in the past then I'm not too optimistic.

I'm actually surprised so many MIDI adapter vendors don't claim Windows 7 support for their devices; it uses basically the same driver architecture as Vista and thus should not be big challenge.

On a positive note, I tried switching to the MIDI adapter built into my E-MU 1212M PCI sound card, and it works like a charm under Windows 7 x64.
Here's what E-MU tech support said:

In regards to Windows 7. We currently do not have any specific drivers
or support for Windows 7 and E-MU products at this time. Our preliminary
testing is showing that our Vista drivers are working well in the final
version of Windows 7. We will be monitoring the release of Windows 7 to
collect info and data, and we will then evaluate if anything must be
done in regards to E-MU providing a special Windows 7 driver for our
products.

I suggest you look at the WINDOWS 7 thread in the E-MU forum at
www.productionforums.com .

The users there are having some really good results with the VISTA
drivers.

You may also try this while installing the softare:

http://www.w7forums.com/application-com ... -t314.html

Well, I didn't have good results at all, but now that I've got it working using my E-MU sound card, I really don't care.

Looks like M-Audio just released official WIN 7 X32 and X64 drivers for the Anniversary Edition 2x2 and 4X4 MIDI - USB interface.

I will report back as to how/if they work for me.

steverosburg said:

I spoke too soon. After trying to do a firmware upgrade to V9 and failing with a bad checksum twice, I can now no longer get the MIDI adaptor in my sound card working, either. As soon as I launch AXE-EDIT and it tries to send/receive data to/from the Axe-Fx it crashes.

I am soooo sick of the device driver dance with every new version of Windows. I had hoped it wouldn't be an issue this time since I was upgrading from a working Vista 64 setup.

steverosburg said:
steverosburg said:

I spoke too soon. After trying to do a firmware upgrade to V9 and failing with a bad checksum twice, I can now no longer get the MIDI adaptor in my sound card working, either. As soon as I launch AXE-EDIT and it tries to send/receive data to/from the Axe-Fx it crashes.

I am soooo sick of the device driver dance with every new version of Windows. I had hoped it wouldn't be an issue this time since I was upgrading from a working Vista 64 setup.
I posted a new thread on this, but just an update for those following this thread: I have it working again, and it appears to be AXE-EDIT that was the culprit. I assume that it somehow got corrupted, because once I completely uninstalled and reinstalled it started working again. Woo hoo!

The Cakewalk UM-1G (which is a rebranded Roland/Edirol) has Windows 7 x64 drivers and it worked with the AxeFX editor. The padKONTROL aslo has W7x64 drivers and worked for my update to 9.0. The padKONTROL is overkill though unless you need to create drum beats manually.

It seems there's currently a lack of MIDI USB interfaces for the 64-bit edition of Windows 7. And even those that claim to be compatible may be hit-or-miss with the Axe-FX (system updates, storing IRs, etc). I'm in the market for such an interface, and I want to hit the bullseye. At the moment, I'm considering the following:

Edirol UM-1EX (~$40)
http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=732

Cakewalk UM-1G (~$50)
http://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Interface/DriverUM.aspx?Prod=UM-1G

M-Audio MIDISPORT 2x2 Anniversary Edition (~$70)
http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=support.drivers&f=1076

...any thoughts/suggestions?

steverosburg said:
GuitarDojo said:
Bit the bullet on the Anniversary edition. I am using Win7 mostly now, I only have 1 laptop left on XP so the ol midisport isnt entirely useless. :(
(Win 7 Drivers released for Midisport 2x2 -4x4 anniversary editions)
Dojo, are you running Windows 7 x64? If so, let me know your experience with AXE-EDIT. I'm curious if you have any crashes with it or not using the M-Audio.

M-audio Midisport 2x2 Anniversary ed. is the mcshizzle. Everything is working perfectly with Axe-Edit. (Window 7 Ultimate x64)
I am as happy as a tick in a blood bank!

Cakewalk UM-2G Win7 Ultimate 64 bit with no issues at all. Does FW upgrade without a hitch and has preformed flawlessly, or at least as flawlessly midi can perform ;0

steverosburg said:
GuitarDojo said:
Bit the bullet on the Anniversary edition. I am using Win7 mostly now, I only have 1 laptop left on XP so the ol midisport isnt entirely useless. :(
(Win 7 Drivers released for Midisport 2x2 -4x4 anniversary editions)
Dojo, are you running Windows 7 x64? If so, let me know your experience with AXE-EDIT. I'm curious if you have any crashes with it or not using the M-Audio.
Use since 2 weeks

so far one crash

otherwise fine(win 7(64) Midisport 2x2 anniversary)

Roland

Back
Top Bottom