Best Mid-Priced Active Monitors

Peter K

I use my QSC K10s when I play out, but I'm looking for a good pair of active monitors for home use. I do some recording, but mostly practicing.

Any brand/model people really like?

Best thing to do is take your Axe FX II to the store and try out everything they have on demo. I did this and found that everything in the $900-$1000 range all sound the same. I wouldn't be surprised if the less expensive options out there are really that much different.

Mid-priced to me would be $150 to $350 each.

I should have clarified that. If you look at a pro-audio catalog, some 6-inch monitors cost over $2,000.

that price range is kinda lower range. mid range would be 600 each, higher ranges go for 1000 each and of course much higher.

:)

Yes mid range would be closer to 600. In the 200 price range you could try the Behringer Truth's.
I like mine for the price

Reactions: Ole
Yeah, you're right about pricing. I'm a home player not an engineer, so my needs are different.

I guess that begs the question: Can a good engineer really hear the difference with a high-end monitor? Just curious what the criteria are.

Thanks for the input.

I use Yamaha HS80M's they cost me 350$ each from Australia. I can't tell you they are the best because i've only ever used these... They pump out the volume though and the Axe sounds great, EZDrummer and Logic Pro X also sound awesome through them. I have heard the Equator D8's are really good too, i sent them an e-mail asking about shipping but never heard back!.. One thing to note is the Yamaha HS80M's are quite big if you don't have much desk room. Good luck mate.

i have a pair of the new Adam F7's and i have to say they are pretty astonishing. super clear, very true sounding. since getting them my mixes have been spot on. i have way more confidence in what im hearing with them, they are super clear, huge sounding, and low fatigue. i think they were about $800 for a pair so for the money it would be very tough IMO to find something that would be a better bet.

I have Yamaha HS50M's. I paid $350 for the pair. Have I exhaustively researched and compared them to others.....no. All I can tell you is that when I play/jam through them with my Axe II and backing tracks I'm surprised at how good they sound. Definitely enough mojo to give me that 'in the room' feel and a nice escape from headphones.

Take a look at m audio bx8 d2. I just bought them. I was supposed to get the yamaha hs80 but the guy convinced me the m audios were cheaper and sound better. Give them a look

Wow. Option anxiety-thanks for all the suggestions.

What about size? I can deal with something a little bigger than desktop size but don't need huge volume.

I have KRK Rokit 5 and they are awesome for my use I only play at home and doing some recording,
but need bedroom volume level because I live in an apartment ..
neighbors above and beside me

:)

Back
Top Bottom